Meat chickens----Part 3.

A forum to discuss all your Game Processing and Butcher Block Skills!
From the Skinning Rack to the Dinner Table.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Meat chickens----Part 3.

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:51 am

Some pics from the farm this morning.
Meat birds. Growing like weeds.

New layer chickens. My wife named these "the Jackson 5"

Khaki Campbell ducks. Ducks are definitely an experience. I had them inside in a brooder for exactly 1 day. Messy is an understatement

Johnny and June, the turkeys

Rabbits
7 rabbit kits. Born 3/8

Current layer hens, and Clyde the turkey

Ironically, this past weekend while my son and I were gone hunting, a hen wild turkey showed up in the yard. She pretty much hung out all day. My Clyde tried to hit it, but he's too fat. She finally left before we got home
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

I could never let my kids or wife see this post, they would be all over me to get going on my own farm yard. They have been begging for a chicken coop for some time but they want to keep them as pets, I on the other hand would be thinking :bbq
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:46 am

Layer hens are pretty easy to keep. They will destroy everything in their path, though. I let mine out 2x a day, morning and evening. If I just let them free range all day my yard would be solid dirt. There are days I get pissed beyond belief at them and want to make a pot of stew out of them. Then there are days they sit on my shoulder like a parakeet....
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:52 pm

dam farmer Al when are you getting goats, pigs and a milk cow? I would have all of the above and more i just dont have enough time in the day.
I like animals, they are tasty!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:14 pm

Got my meat chickens out of my garage finally. Also got the duck pen finished(minus the corrugated roofing, which will be later this week), and the ducks in it. Still have to build a grow out pen for the rabbits.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:13 pm

Before long the ducks will be standing in mud where the pond use to be...Or should I say standing in poop!

:saluting
Bossman

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:00 pm

Yep, they are dirty critters for sure. Most of them are going to be table fare. I am keeping probably 2 drakes and maybe 4 hens for breeding. Theres a demand around here for duck hatchlings

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:32 am

I finally got some meat chickens dam they are nasty. 10-15 mins after cleaning the brooder they have it all dirty again. I cant wait for them to be able to go outside!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:09 am

Yep. Did you get the regular white cornish crosses? They are definitely eating-crapping machines. These red rangers I am doing this year are much easier and cleaner

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:01 pm

ya i got the cornish crosses from TSC. Im thinking of still ordering some rangers just have to move the cornish crosses and egg layers out before i get any more.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:01 am

More bunnies coming in 31 days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Jb0o9q5dg

:clap :tung :rolleyes :hammer

:bbq

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:49 am

He couldn't hang on for the full 8 seconds but looks like he got the job done.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:00 pm

Update:
Everything is getting bigger, eating more, and in turn crapping more. That's pretty much it. One change that happened this week is I gave/donated my bronze turkey to a petting zoo. He served no purpose here since I have another pair of breeders. My feed bill should go down with him gone as he just camped out under the feeder. When we got there with the turkey, we walked him back to his new pen and the lady told me to pick him up and over the rail. I was like, you better grab a leg because I can't lift him. He was easily 50#.

My new layer hens are really growing. The little on on the end is a Polish rooster. They picked the feathers off his head and he now looks like a monk

Ducks are getting bigger by the day

Meat chickens are growing. I'm kinda second guessing myself going with the red rangers. It is nice not having the health issues of the cornish crosses, but they are growing slow. The breasts are skinny, and quite honestly absent. You can kill a 5 week old CC and feed 2 people on it easily. These are about 5 weeks now. We'll see how they turn out at 12 weeks

Rabbits are just about weaned. Sunday will be 6 weeks and I can take the mother out. I'll probably leave her another week, as a couple of them are small. I have not noticed any nursing recently so they are probably done anyway. I am trying to sell off a few of them to put some money back into feed. Rest are going in the freezer. The wife is really attached to the b/w one. She named him "Ginny" because he is colored like a guinea pig

In other news, my hen turkey started laying eggs this week. I picked up an incubator and plan on hatching them. However, she is a new layer and the eggs are small so I am not sure they are going to be hatch-able until she gets older

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed May 20, 2015 12:31 pm

First 5 off to freezer camp

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Wed May 20, 2015 1:59 pm

Did you buy a plucker? Or the hand method. God that's sounds bad
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

Return to “WILD GAME PROCESSING”