Meat chickens----Part 3.

A forum to discuss all your Game Processing and Butcher Block Skills!
From the Skinning Rack to the Dinner Table.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Meat chickens----Part 3.

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:46 am

Just ordered my meat chickens for the year. 25 of them. I am trying a different breed this year -Red Rangers.
Also ordered 15 Khaki Campbell ducks.
Fixing to go get some new layer hens and still looking for turkey poults
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Re: Meat chickens----Part 3.

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:38 pm

Nice! My next project after a gate and fence is a coop!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:38 pm

6 new layer hens!
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:05 pm

I'm thinking of finally trying the meat chicken deal. I have the coops just got to find some chicks. Where did u order yours?
I like animals, they are tasty!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:21 pm

If you want the cornish rock meat birds, you can get them at Tractor supply. They usually have them this time of year. Keep in mind they are a PIA to raise...
This year I ordered the red rangers (each company may have a slight different name for them). I ordered my ducks from here
http://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/fr ... ickens.asp

And my meat birds from here
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/meat_birds.html

Problem is with the cold weather in the North, a lot of hatcheries had to stall their hatching(chicks will die during shipping)...hence why I had to order from 2 different hatcheries.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:44 am

One of the layer hens didn't make it yesterday. Had a feeling it was on it's way down.
I am picking up a breeding pair of turkeys today, hopefully. And now that it (hopefully) doesn't rain today I have to build a massive temporary brooder for the ducks and chickens I have coming

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:42 pm

Well, here are my 2 new turkeys. A young breeding pair of bourbon reds. She should be laying age in a couple more months. I named them Johnny and June. Johnny Cash married June Carter on this day in 1968, so I thought it was fitting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxABl2Bcd_M

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:40 am

Very cool. I am really thinking about getting a small rabbitry operation going. Turkeys.. now thats cool!
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:45 am

Yeah I am raising rabbits too. New Zealand and Dutch. :bbq I have a litter due next Thursday

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:07 pm

Nice! I have been looking at supplies for the hutches. I am looking at a single breeding pair.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:46 pm

fishindad wrote:Nice! I have been looking at supplies for the hutches. I am looking at a single breeding pair.
When you get ready to set up the hutches....I HIGHLY recommend you build a watering system(with water valves and plastic tubing) as opposed to water bottles. It is so much easier than filling water bottles every day. I can show what to get. It is actually cheaper to get the kit and tubing than it is to get bottles. I built one for my rabbits and rats. I fill water once a week as opposed to daily

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:13 am

I setup a 5 gal bucket with the chicken nipples on its but during the summer i still have to fill it once a day. also had a deer feeder setup to feed twice a day.
I like animals, they are tasty!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:49 pm

Well................on to layer hens, batch 2 of this year. While I was at work my wife left the door open to the back lanai where I have the brooder set up. Wiener Dogs helped themselves.
:censored

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:39 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:
fishindad wrote:Nice! I have been looking at supplies for the hutches. I am looking at a single breeding pair.
When you get ready to set up the hutches....I HIGHLY recommend you build a watering system(with water valves and plastic tubing) as opposed to water bottles. It is so much easier than filling water bottles every day. I can show what to get. It is actually cheaper to get the kit and tubing than it is to get bottles. I built one for my rabbits and rats. I fill water once a week as opposed to daily
Thanks man. Definitely interested. I want to do this while the kids are still young. I will let you know when I am close to getting setup.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:48 am

You know you might be a redneck....when the P.O. at the airport calls on a Saturday night and you load the family up for a road trip to go get them.
Got my order of 25, plus one extra for insurance, plus a "mystery chick" that the hatchery includes, which I believe is a silkie. All are alive and kicking this morning

Return to “WILD GAME PROCESSING”