Venison grinding time

A forum to discuss all your Game Processing and Butcher Block Skills!
From the Skinning Rack to the Dinner Table.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

treefarmer
Ordeal

Venison grinding time

Post by treefarmer » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:09 am

Yesterday we started grinding venison from this years deer. When we process a deer the hams are pulled apart, each muscle has the silver skin removed, then it is sliced cross grain about 1/4" thick and packaged as Venison Ham for frying. The back straps are turned into Boneless Chops about 1 1/2" thick. Shoulders are boned out and used for ground meat along with some of the neck and any trim from the hams and back straps. The rib meat, some of the neck meat and shanks are saved for sausage. Let's not forget the tenderloins, the heart and liver are also savored at our house.
Yesterday's projects were to make pure ground venison for chili, spaghetti, etc., make up some bulk sausage, 60% venison and 40% pork (Boston butts) seasoned with Leggs, and also made 5 summer sausages which are being smoked today. Bulk sausage and summer sausage are easy to do compared to smoked link sausage which will come in a week or so.
Next time we'll do a 25# batch of smoked sausage. We did 50# at one time a few seasons ago and it near about killed us, I know it ain't the fact that we're gettin' old. :crip
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Venison grinding time

Post by Bossman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:08 pm

Hey Farmer is that recipe for summer sausage a family secret or maybe a contributor treat? Next question is do you freeze all the meat till you process it? Sure sounds good... How do you cook the back strap that is a 1 1/2" thick? I like my steak rare, might be a thought.

:saluting
Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:33 pm

Bossman,
This summer sausage seasoning was a left over from last year, it was Hi-Mountain kit or something like that. We have a "family" recipe that I have not tried. Buying all the different spices that it calls for makes it impractical since we only make small batches. The recipe is one my brother-in-law used when he was in the meat business.
Yes we freeze the meat as we process the deer. We freeze it in zip lock , gallon & 2 gallon size bags, weigh it and put the date on it. With good seasoning, older meat can be utilized in sausage. In fact some we used yesterday was marked 2013. Always mix a fresh bag in if you are using some older meat. What we made yesterday was very good, we made a patty and cooked it before we packaged it up to make sure we didn't want to change it by adding other or more spices. We made up about 40 pounds of bulk sausage.
On the back strap issue, we learned several years back that cutting in the 1 1/2" range it will rival a filet mignon. We simply season with Everglades and put them in a cast iron skillet with the bottom covered in peanut oil, just enough to cover the bottom and so hot it's about to smoke. After 90 seconds turn 'em over and do it again, 90 seconds. They are now done! At this point, if you like, you can sear the sides because they will stand on edge. They will be rare, delicious, and tender! This is just simply quick and easy but if you want to grill or broil it, the chops need to be wrapped in bacon, when the bacon is done the chop should be just "right rare". I'll include some pictures of some chops being prepared for the freezer.
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:44 pm

Nice! when is dinner? I've never done it that way, but i'm always up for something new...

:saluting
Bossman

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:12 am

Looks good man. I miss stuffing casings with my son. Guess he grew up and rap music took over and he can care less about hunting any more.

Return to “WILD GAME PROCESSING”