Rabbit project

A forum to discuss all your Game Processing and Butcher Block Skills!
From the Skinning Rack to the Dinner Table.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

fishindad
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Rabbit project

Post by fishindad » Fri May 29, 2015 3:02 pm

Started on a new project this week. Been planning this a while. 2 does and a buck acquired, cages build and now to install the automatic water system.

Going to wait until sept to start breeding. Can't wait.

Last edited by fishindad on Fri May 29, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: Rabbit project

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri May 29, 2015 5:20 pm

Good luck man. I am about to put a bunch in the freezer next week. I've got a respiratory infection running through my Herd right now.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sun May 31, 2015 6:47 am

Cool. If i want a rabbit, i just drop the tailgate and let the beagles run! Wont be a minute til the race is on!

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:43 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Good luck man. I am about to put a bunch in the freezer next week. I've got a respiratory infection running through my Herd right now.
Crap.... That stinks.

Watering system that you had mentioned before is on its way. I want no part of this bottle thing long term!
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:17 pm

Yeah the bottles suck. I lost a rabbit yesterday. I was actually going outside to cull her as she was pretty sick and found her dead. I just hope it doesn't/hasn't spread. She had a condition called the snuffles. It is a very serious respiratory condition they can can get. I had to cull one of her babies a few weeks ago with it. Luckily the others didn't get it(yet). It can be cured with antibiotics if caught in time , but the other issue is it's recessive and can pop up in a healthy rabbit any time. I will be putting a bunch in the freezer this weekend. They are 12 weeks and not going to get much bigger
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Thanks for the info. I will watch out for it.

Looking forward to starting in Sept. Want to wait until this heat subsides to breed.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:28 pm

Yeah I've got one more litter due in another week or so. I think that will be it till fall for me. That will give me plenty in the freezer. The males will actually go sterile in the hottest months. I had some real cool color combos on this last litter. They look like cottontails. I bred the same male to a different female and I am interested to see if I get the same color babies again

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:48 am

Got the automatic water feeder installed today. Only a couple leaks. Not too bad IMO. Once I get those fix, this is going to be a nice setup. I got the brass valves from the Bass Equipment Company.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:12 am

If your rabbits get loose, make sure my pups arent out! Got some rabbit tracking fools!!

http://youtu.be/9rlVUenXbCo

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:18 pm

lol! these rabbits would not stand a chance!

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:18 am

Lol. Yea meat rabbits dont run fast. I put my rabbits in a "roll cage" so the pups cant get to him but see it.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:24 am

Cr0ck1 wrote:Lol. Yea meat rabbits dont run fast.

They run 8.7 MPH....Humans run 8.6 lol. quality redneck entertainment is watching a redneck trying to hand catch a rabbit that doesn't want to be caught :gangsta

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:49 am

Iluv2hunt wrote:
Cr0ck1 wrote:Lol. Yea meat rabbits dont run fast.

They run 8.7 MPH....Humans run 8.6 lol. quality redneck entertainment is watching a redneck trying to hand catch a rabbit that doesn't want to be caught :gangsta

Get the wife and her friend 4 or 5 drinks in them and let loose one of the kid's 4-H rabbits in the yard. Now thats entertainment. :innocent
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:42 am

fishindad wrote:Started on a new project this week. Been planning this a while. 2 does and a buck acquired, cages build and now to install the automatic water system.

Going to wait until sept to start breeding. Can't wait.

One thing I noticed in your picture......

The rabbits need a place to get off of the wire. They have to get off the wire from time to time or they will get sore feet. Also a way to get away from dogs (if you have any). The dogs will get under the cages and nip at their feet. A square ceramic tile works great and easy to clean. They also need wood of some sort to gnaw on(to keep their teeth filed down). I built a small wooden box in each of my cages. Solves both problems. They can sit on it and gnaw it too.
Just figured I would point that out
:toast

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:21 pm

Cool and thanks!!

Return to “WILD GAME PROCESSING”