Summer Sausage Extream

A forum to discuss all your Game Processing and Butcher Block Skills!
From the Skinning Rack to the Dinner Table.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Summer Sausage Extream

Post by Bossman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:33 pm

Ok, it's been a while since I've post anything. People don't even have a clue of what kind of time much less money that goes into making venison summer sausage. I make a couple of batches each year and always have people ask out of the blue... how much do I sell them for. For one if charged people for them, they couldn't afford it. It's like some city folk wanting to get a wild hog processed, they want sausage, ribs, and bacon...ain't happening! Anyway I made 90 lbs. of summer sausage this time. I use a mixture of 2/3 venison 1/3 pork. This go around I made garlic and pepper mainly. The last time I added cheddar cheese but time it was a split moment cooking and I didn't have the time to order the cheese. If I make anymore before next season I'll order some cheese. Pictures to follow.

:saluting
Bossman

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Re: Summer Sausage Extream

Post by Bossman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:41 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:42 pm

Looks mighty good to me. Your mixture of 2/3 venison 1/3 pork is pretty close to what we do, that being 60% venison and 40% pork. For the last couple of years, I've only used premixed seasonings from Hi Mountain. It has turned out pretty good. We cut each 3 pound sausage in half and vacuum seal them for the freezer. They make great gifts and you're right on target when you say people can't afford it and so far everyone seems to enjoy it as a gift!
Treefarmer

HCON3
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by HCON3 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:52 am

I know what you mean about time and energy into doing something right. All my neighbors want packages of deer or smoked mullet but I can never find anyone that wants to put in the time to help until it is done. I just started canning venison and now they all just want a couple of jars but they don't have time to help but we will pay you a couple of $. So you have to be special to be on my gift list. But hey I am retired so I have way more time on my hands to do these things they don't have time for.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:56 pm

HCON3 wrote:I know what you mean about time and energy into doing something right. All my neighbors want packages of deer or smoked mullet but I can never find anyone that wants to put in the time to help until it is done. I just started canning venison and now they all just want a couple of jars but they don't have time to help but we will pay you a couple of $. So you have to be special to be on my gift list. But hey I am retired so I have way more time on my hands to do these things they don't have time for.
Funny you bring that up, I got a story for that... A couple of years I gave my sister some sausage. She loved it and wanted more, so I told her that I'd let her know the next time that I was going to make some. The next year I told her that I was going to be making some summer sausage and she needed to buy some of the Ingredients. She told me "Go ahead and buy me some and I'll pay you for it when you make it." I told her no if you want some you better buy it. Needless to say she didn't buy anything. When I made the sausage she didn't get any... She never asked about it. This year I didn't even have to ask her to buy anything, she called me one day and asked how much to buy. I told her and lo and behold she bought 3 times as much as I told her. Needless to say all I had to provide was the meat. She even came over and help stuff my meat...? (wait that didn't sound right) lol.
:taz

:saluting
Bossman

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:22 am

I hear ya. I haven't made sausage but everyone at the office wants back strap when I get a deer but no one wants to buy corn or help with the food plots.
I like animals, they are tasty!

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:08 pm

I never mix pork and venison for summer sausage just for breakfast, Italian, hot dogs or brats. Any more i just make it without cheese. I do like it with Jalapenos in it. I also say try Venison Bologna. Yes you have to like making it.
One way i cured friends on asking about buying it or what i would charge to process game, is to have them bring over a hog or two. Then i pull one out and make them help me help and we them Process the animals together. They have elected to use other processors. A few close friend still bring theirs over and a case of beer and we BS while we do it.

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:42 am

LOL.. Great story and soooooo true. Everyone just wants to jump to the end a reap the rewards.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:08 am

Dang, that looks great! Nothing like eating that with some sharp cheddar and crackers. Man you can make a meal out of it! Good job!

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:51 am

Dam!! Thats alot of sausage!!

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

Return to “WILD GAME PROCESSING”