A batch of bulk venison sausage

A forum to discuss all your Game Processing and Butcher Block Skills!
From the Skinning Rack to the Dinner Table.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

treefarmer
Ordeal

A batch of bulk venison sausage

Post by treefarmer » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:42 pm

Made 25 pounds of bulk venison sausage this morning. It is a 60% venison 40% pork mixture, using Legg's Old Plantation pork sausage seasoning with added sage and cayenne pepper. We ran out of sausage last week and have been using it in our stuffed Bell peppers, so it was time. 25 pounds is not a lot but it is as much as we can handle easily at our age, no need to kill yourself making a big batch and interfering with nap time.
It tasted good, we had some for dinner along with peas and rice, fried corn bread and a big glass of iced tea!
Since I started making our sausage at home, I've kept records and try to keep the seasoning very consistent with what we want it to taste like each time. All ingredients are measured accurately each batch, keeps the final products the same each time.
Miss Joy took a couple of pictures after we were almost done with this batch.
Treefarmer
2016-07-28 001 003r.jpg
2016-07-28 001 010r.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: A batch of bulk venison sausage

Post by Bossman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:47 pm

Nice job farmer, I'm gonna need to make another 25 lbs. myself before the season. Did Mrs. Joy make you start wearing a shirt?

:saluting
Bossman

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:23 pm

Yummy!!'

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:37 pm

What the heck is Fried Cornbread?!?! Sounds delicious!!!

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:12 pm

kortsman,
I asked Miss Joy about the fried cornbread. She said the ingredients are corn meal, a very small amount of flour, a little salt, some buttermilk and water to get the mix where it can be spooned or poured into a old black skillet with a little bit of hot oil to cook it in. Flip 'em over after the 1st side is browned, do the other side and it's done. If the batter is real thin it will create a "crunchy lace" on the edges of each piece. She mostly spoons it into the skillet as a thicker batter and flattens it one pat with the spoon.
She went on to tell about how many different ways corn bread can be made. Some are sweet with sugar added, some are baked in the skillet on top of the stove, some are baked in the oven, it goes on and on....
We eat a lot of the fried corn bread, it goes well with the traditional southern foods we enjoy. She says it's easier to make the fried cornbread than to make cathead biscuits and then she adds, "Biscuits are also more fattening!"
Just thinkin' about this, hushpuppies are probably a 1st cousin to fried cornbread, just add some chopped onion and spoon 'em into some deep hot grease.
Here's a picture of some made several years back:
12-22-13 1304r.jpg
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:25 pm

Oh man... This was not the thread to look at when you're hungry!!! My wife was born and raised down here. She makes some pretty good southern food. I never really liked lima beans before until she made some that had smoked ham hocks in it... MMM... I have to fight my kids to get a plate. I'll have to have her try out that way of making cornbread.
Fry up some eggs and some of that sausage and slap it between some fried cornbread... Lookout! I'd need a nap right after breakfast...lol..

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:39 pm

Oh yeah, we call fried cornbread Hoe Cake. It's mixed thin and poured in a hot cast iron skillet with a little bacon grease. Pour it about the size of a large pancake. The edges will crisp up like Treefarmer said and make the lace. It goes good with everything. It gets it's name form the days when the farmers went into the fields with their hoes. They'd bring a bag of cornmeal mixed with flour and salt and for lunch they'd mix in the water, heat up their hoe over a fire and pour it on it to cook it. Good stuff for sure.

Return to “WILD GAME PROCESSING”