Looking for an inexpensive meat grinder.

A forum to discuss all your Game Processing and Butcher Block Skills!
From the Skinning Rack to the Dinner Table.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

xdm40rajuy
scout

Looking for an inexpensive meat grinder.

Post by xdm40rajuy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:29 pm

Im just getting back into hunting and I would like to grind some deer and hog up for burgers, sausage and things of that nature. Right now I have hog and a deer I shot this year with plans on a few more deer before hi power season is over. Can someone point me in the direction of a inexpensive grinder that will help me out with these task.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Looking for an inexpensive meat grinder.

Post by treefarmer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:22 am

Most of the major outdoor retailers sell an array of meat grinders. Also Northern tool has a good selection as does LEM. You can choose manuel or electric, or you might choose to convert a manuel to electric. Most of the meat grinders are now made in China that are reasonable in price. I have worn out several that had no bearings on the worm shaft, but found a #32 that has a set of ball bearings that I lubricate with food grade silicone and it is still working after several years. The bearings appear to be the life of the grinder, as they eliminate the metal to metal contact that causes the worm to wear into the cast iron housing that causes the whole mess to bind up and not work as it should. Mine came from Northern Tool and only cost $45 several years ago. I think they run about $80 now, and I believe it has a belt drive pully handle combination with it. I had bought a pulley to replace the hand crank from Cabellas many years ago and have used it on several grinders. My grinder runs with a 1750 rpm 1/2 hp electric motor that has a jack shaft with 2 v-belts and with the proper pulleys, runs at about 80 rpm. To get the desired reults a couple of different sizes grinding plates should be used. The 1st grind with a course plate(large holes) and the 2nd grind with a finer plate(small holes). Personally I don't like to use a meat grinder to stuff link sausages but thats a different story. There are a lot of good web sites that give step by step instruction for making sausage and you will find a lot of knowledgeable help right here on FOHAF.com. I have been helped and advised several times by these fine folks. treefarmer

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:45 am

If you got the Bass Pro flier in the mail....their $99 model is on sale for $59 this week
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:16 am

**EDIT

Its actually $69.97
Here is the product code

Also, if you have a Northern Tool & Equip in your town, they carry these meat processing tools as well
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

redneck75
scout

Post by redneck75 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:00 am

I've got the Cabelas grinder. Not sure on the exact model # but it's the one that sells for around $100...cheaper if you catch the sales. I've had it a couple years and it's ground up a total of 13 animals (7 hogs and 6 deer) and still works like a champ.

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:46 am

I've got the Nothern Tool grinder. Cost me $100. It came with 3 different plates and a few stuffing tubes. I used it this weekend and it works good for my needs.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:53 pm

IT A WASTE OF MONEY TO BUY A CHEAP GRINDER JUST DONT BUY ONE.

Seriously you wont like it. They grind like crap. I could hand chop the meat faster.

xdm40rajuy
scout

Re: Re: Looking for an inexpensive meat grinder.

Post by xdm40rajuy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:10 pm

TerribleTed wrote:IT A WASTE OF MONEY TO BUY A CHEAP GRINDER JUST DONT BUY ONE.

Seriously you wont like it. They grind like crap. I could hand chop the meat faster.
Well I am looking into a manual grinder until need yo upgrade to a electric one.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:15 am

You don't want a manual grinder. Trust me on this one. I served my time on one as a kid, and when my dad finally bought an electric, I threw the old crank grinder in the Steinhatchee river

Its sorta like digging your yard up with a toothbrush

redneck75
scout

Post by redneck75 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:19 pm

I just saw an ad for Bass Pro Shops that has a refurbished electric grinder for under $60.00. Not a bad deal if you're on a budget. Definitely better than a manual grinder.

Return to “WILD GAME PROCESSING”