PROCESSERS FREEZERS DIED

A forum to discuss all your Game Processing and Butcher Block Skills!
From the Skinning Rack to the Dinner Table.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Bullshed
scout

PROCESSERS FREEZERS DIED

Post by Bullshed » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:47 am

Dropped off two deer three weeks ago for processing.Call yesterday said freezers tripped the breaker and all the meat is bad.Said they could use pork butt for sausage i had ordered.What would you tell them to do? Do the sausage or just get your money back.

9dawgs

Re: PROCESSERS FREEZERS DIED

Post by 9dawgs » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:23 am

Oh man, that ain't good...just another reason I don't use a processor. I guess it would depend on if he was going to give you a good discount on the pork to pay for your hunting trip. Pork ain't venison and it won't taste the same at all. I'd probably just get my money back and process my own in the future if he didn't do that. What a bummer. I hate it for you man. :pinch

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:28 am

What processor was it? Have you used him before? Sounds fishy to me... Maybe because I've been burned by a processor before, but they sometimes use your meat to fill in the "regulars" order. (guys that use them often) I've also heard them say "the meat just jumped off the hook" and you're left holding the bag...

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:37 am

Sounds kind of fishy to me as well. How long would the inside of a cooler that large stay cold after the power shut off. A day or two perhaps, how often are they checking it? I would have to believe that processors this time of year are busy as h**l. How could they not manage to walk in that cooler over a 2 day period?
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

redneck75
scout

Post by redneck75 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:16 pm

I've seen it before where a walk-in cooler shut off and everything spoiled. It is possible. Don't really matter if the guy is being straight up with you or not. Either way, you're not getting your meat back. Get your money back and never go back.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Bullshed, 9dawgs hit the nail on the head! It's time to process your own venison.

A deer can be aged in an ice chest or an old refrigerator just like a processor does it. Keep ice on the meat, keep the drain open and then learn to work up your own deer meat. Ask some question and dive in! It's not rocket science but it pays to take notes and pay attention to details that will make it an easier job next time.

Breaking down a deer is easy and can be done with a pocket knife for the most part. You would be surprised how easy it is to remove the shoulders and backstraps. The hams need a little more than a pocket knife as you must split the pelvis, heavy knife,cleaver,axe or some type of saw that will cut the bone(I use a sawzall). Neck and rib meat can be removed to add to other trimmings for sausage.

Sausage can be made in link form(stuffed in casings) or made bulk(patty). A grinder and stuffer can be purchased for the price of 2 or 3 trips to a processor. I know this isn't for everybody but it can be done and practice makes perfect. Patty/bulk also eliminates need for a smokehouse, which is a whole different ball game.

Ageing is very important to the finished product, just like beef. Silver skin, connective tissue and fat are all enemies of quality venison. Silver skin encases most muscles, including the top side of the backstraps, and can be removed much like a bass fillet is prepared, just has skin on all sides. Cross grain slicing insures a tender cut when makeing boneless fry meat and chops. Attached is a picture of a ham that had been in the ice chest since Dec. 6. It was killed on the 5th, skinned and gutted, hung over night then placed in ice chest for 15 days to age. The picture shows the amount of fat the was on the hind quarters of this particular deer, it helped protect the meat as it went throught the ageing process in the ice chest.

There are plenty of fellers who follow this site that will share knowledge and suggestions with you if you want to take the next step. Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bullshed
scout

Post by Bullshed » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:39 pm

I have used him before, very happy the first time.He is in central Fl.anyone else get the same story yesterday?

Bullshed
scout

Post by Bullshed » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:42 pm

I have proceesed my own game for many years.I know how too, just very busy with work and family.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:46 pm

How about the name and city of the processor so if we have a kill and want it processed in Central FL we don't take it to him since something is obviously shakey and/or he doesn't have a reliable cooler and cooling system for his operation?

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:48 pm

You don't need saw or clippers. I can debone deer hogs with a regular skinning knife. There is allot more to processing the meat than quartering. Allot sliver skin to remove and knowledge of which cut is best for what purpose.

Your hosed. I demand my money and compensation.

Bullshed
scout

Post by Bullshed » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Chop n Block out of Winter Haven

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:05 pm

THX!

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:40 pm

wow that sucks...its easy just do it your self!
I like animals, they are tasty!

Return to “WILD GAME PROCESSING”