Venison/pork Sausage

A forum to discuss all your Game Processing and Butcher Block Skills!
From the Skinning Rack to the Dinner Table.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

treefarmer
Ordeal

Venison/pork Sausage

Post by treefarmer » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:55 am

Usually make sausage prior to Christmas, but just didn't get to this time. Here is a couple of pics of the first batch. Should have taken some during the entire process but didn't. Hanging in the smokehouse and a tub full prior to packaging for the freezer. The green stuff is bear grass used to hang the sausage in the smoke. Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bodysnatcher
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Venison/pork Sausage

Post by bodysnatcher » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:00 pm

Looks great. :toast
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:39 pm

Now that's a beautiful sight! Looks like you have yourself a real smokehouse. My great-grandpa had a big one like that on his farm outside of Quincy where he'd hang hams and sausage. Very cool. Wish I had room to put one on my place. :clap

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Do you have any specs on your smoke house? I am thinking of building one. a small one I can vent from my barrel smoker to it
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Iluv2hunt, I will be glad to post some deminsions, a couple of pictures and a few comments about our little smoke house . We've had rain here since about 7:30am, it's 9pm and still raining and the temperature is now about 46 degrees. At 6pm our gauge showed 4.7" of rain so far. Maybe I can wade out to the smokehouse tomorrow, after church, and get a couple of pics that show how simple this really is. Treefarmer

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:04 am

Looks great! I'd be interested in seeing how you have your smoke house constructed also!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:42 am

No rush brother. I am thinking I really need like a big metal cabinet to convert into a smokehouse. I want something I can make some duct work from my Brinkmann barrel smoker to it, so I can cold~smoke stuff like salmon and cheese. As well as do things like sausage that need a very low temp
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by DONY1 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:26 pm

Saw this thread a while back on a smoker a guy built. Looked great but more work than I'll ever put into one. You may be able to get a few good ideas from it Allen. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthrea ... zer+smoker

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:28 pm

1st let me say the smoker that DONY1 shared with us is light years ahead of our smokehouse. Our smokehouse is 5' wide, 8' long and about 7' high. It is a frame work of treated 4x4 posts,tied together with treated 2x6s, over which cypress siding was nailed in the board and batten style. The metal roofing is light weight standing seam 12" panels. A shed was attached on the side to cover the wood burning stove and the wood pile. The pictures will show how simple this is. A digital thermometer with a remote probe is used to determine internal meat temperature and a thermometer through the wall simply reads the temp. inside the smokehouse. The rest is simply trial and error 'till you feel good about your finished meat product. I also have an expanded metal shelf that I can smoke meats on that do not need to be hung like a sausage. Oak or pecan is the wood we use and the gas burner is used to raise the internal sausage temp. after the smoking is completed. Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:32 am

Hey Treefarmer, I'm thinking I like yours better that the other one on the link. The other is pretty slick and probably works well but that's a lot of metal bending. The simplicity of your design looks like it would work just as well plus last for your grandkids kids to use in the future :>) I may have to convince my friend who has some property near me to build one.

trapper dan
VIP MEMBER

Post by trapper dan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:31 am

Great idea treefarmer I like that man. A smoke house has been on my mind for a while, I like the simplicity of it.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:02 pm

What is the floor made of? Is it on a concrete slab? Hard to tell from the photos.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:38 am

9dawgs, Sorry about omiting that info. The floor is dirt, just like most of the old time smokehouses. I had intended to have my fire on the inside of the smokehouse and then was not satisfied with the outcome. Seems some of the "real" old timers had a small hole or pit inside to work thier smoke out of but like I pointed out it was a "trial and error event" for the 1st few laps. The man that I followed, had his fire under a 3'x3' steel plate that sat on 4- 8x8x16 concrete blocks. He said that kept the fire from blazing too high when the sausages dripped. (The 1st time we made sausages at his place he was using an old walled in chicken house for a smokehouse-said he had burned down several over his many years!!!) All that is a possibility when using wood, this is probably one of the reasons some folks now buy hardwood sawdust to create smoke. Found it to be more comfortable to tend the fire from the outside rather than have to open and close the doors, loose heat, fight the smoke, etc.. A man that had a small deer plant over in Holmes county suggested that I use a wood heater in combination with a gas fish cooker. But back to the dirt floor, there is not enough grease dripping to create a problem, but on a slab it would become an issue as it would need to be kept clean so it would not be slick. Over the dirt floor it helps keep the dust down and maybe I won't get put in jail for allowing a little hog fat to soak into the ground in the middle of 80 acres. Treefarmer

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:44 pm

Thanks Treefarmer, my grandpa's had a dirt floor as well. Never thought much about it soaking up the fat drippin's but it makes sense. Them old timers had it all figured out!

CanadianBlackBears
scout

Post by CanadianBlackBears » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:25 am

Man, to post pics of great looking sausage like that is criminal. You should be ashamed of yourself...hahahaha

Any chance of getting some of that shipped to Canada so a northern brother can sample a little taste?

Return to “WILD GAME PROCESSING”