How much time do I have?

A forum to discuss all your Game Processing and Butcher Block Skills!
From the Skinning Rack to the Dinner Table.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

kc45
Troop Bugler

How much time do I have?

Post by kc45 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:23 pm

After shooting a pig, how much time do I have to skin it, gut it and put it on ice?
With our temps reaching high 80s during mid day I know it must be done quickly but how quick?

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: How much time do I have?

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:47 pm

The hotter the temps the less time you have. Gut it immediately and keep it in the shade until you can get it moving to skinning area. Hot weather hunting, you need to have skinning arrangements made prior. The quicker you get it on ice, the better table fare you will have
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:51 pm

Can you be a little more specific... this will be my first time so I'm totally new at all this.
Would you say 2 hour to skin it and gut it and put it in ice?
More... less?

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:54 pm

I would want one in the cooler within 2-2.5 hours in hot weather, at the most. If you can't skin one right away, you can shove a bag of ice in the body cavity. Main thing is to get the guts out immediately and not put it off. I mean, don't shoot a hog then go take the family to a breakfast buffet then skin it
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:03 pm

I thought the correct procedure is to skin it then gut it?
Can I gut it while laying the hog on the ground?

In my situation my hunting spot can be as far as 300 yards from the camp and I'm not sure how quickly I can get it to the camp where I can hang it up. Depending on the size, I'll have to drag the pig to the camp... or if it's small enough I'll just sling it over my shoulder and walk back.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:51 pm

game cart ,wheel barrell.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:56 pm

If you field dress it and remove the innards, you have a lot less weight to drag/carry back to camp.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:16 am

kc45 wrote:I thought the correct procedure is to skin it then gut it?
Open them up the same way you normally do after skinning it. Carefully running your knife down the center of the belly. Only this time you'll have the skin on. Not difficult at all.

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:45 am

Kortsman wrote:
kc45 wrote:I thought the correct procedure is to skin it then gut it?
Open them up the same way you normally do after skinning it. Carefully running your knife down the center of the belly. Only this time you'll have the skin on. Not difficult at all.

Is it much more difficult to skin the animal after it's been gutted?

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:25 am

Well sometimes yes depending are you saving the ribs, hart- belly meat? Some times there more contamination on the inside of the cavity. I wash-hose my hogs before i clean then. This is out of the question if its field dressed. If it gutted first i skin then wash good with a hose. Then i quarter and pack on ice.
When i have a animal that's started to bloat i skin the quarter and i don't even open the gut cavity leave it for the buzzards.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:12 pm

Gut it when it hits the ground, bottom line. Same goes for deer. Have a plan ahead of time. Is the cooler ready and available? Skinning facility/rack/hanger close?, Ice on hand or close?

The longer you leave the guts in an animal in the SE the quicker it will spoil, period. I will probably get some push back on this opinion from some on the forum but I have seen alot of hogs and deer on the backs of 4 wheelers and trucks that wouldn't ever be butchered or eaten by me or my family due to bloating and spoilage!

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:22 pm

if you need a tutorial on gutting/field dressing/skinning, just hit up youtube, there are a ton of videos on there that will show you how. definately with the heat you need to get it done quick as stated and on ice. just get it done.

Pochop7
Assistant Patrol Leader

How much time do I have?

Post by Pochop7 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:11 am

houseofmicah wrote:if you need a tutorial on gutting/field dressing/skinning, just hit up youtube, there are a ton of videos on there that will show you how. definately with the heat you need to get it done quick as stated and on ice. just get it done.
Trapper Dan has some good videos on it. Can find them on YouTube and I'm pretty sure he posted the links in the forum somewhere if you search his posts

Return to “WILD GAME PROCESSING”