Talk about an exciting hunt!

This is a Forum to discuss all of your Exotic Hunting adventures and show off your Harvests!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Talk about an exciting hunt!

Post by houseofmicah » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:06 am

good info, thanks

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:38 pm

When we lived in South Africa, we were right next to Kruger Park in a little town called Phalaborwa. One of the local guys that worked for my dad as a plant superintendent was also a PH, and he was THE GUY they called whenever something got loose from Kruger or was causing problems. One time 3 buffalo got loose and were running through downtown, ramming cars and tearing stuff up. People were afraid to go out on the street because these buffs were chasing anything that moved. Rudy, the guy who worked for my dad, was called and came into town in his old Range Rover, and with three shots put the buffs down. The biggest was an older cow who was pregnant, and just days from giving birth. The unborn calf was considered a delicacy and was given to one of the local tribal chiefs. Rudy got to keep some of the meat that he wanted as pay for the job, and the rest went to local tribes people. In the 18 months we lived there, I know Rudy was called out to kill those buffalo, 2 giraffes caught up in a barbed wire fence, a leopard that was coming in to the edges of town at night and killing dogs, a bull elephant with an infected tusk (they said you could smell the gangrene from 100 meters), and a gang of Chacma baboons that were raiding garbage bins and killing pets. Those are just the stories I remember.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

flags
scout

Post by flags » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:28 pm

GoodOyster wrote:When we lived in South Africa, we were right next to Kruger Park in a little town called Phalaborwa. One of the local guys that worked for my dad as a plant superintendent was also a PH, and he was THE GUY they called whenever something got loose from Kruger or was causing problems. One time 3 buffalo got loose and were running through downtown, ramming cars and tearing stuff up. People were afraid to go out on the street because these buffs were chasing anything that moved. Rudy, the guy who worked for my dad, was called and came into town in his old Range Rover, and with three shots put the buffs down. The biggest was an older cow who was pregnant, and just days from giving birth. The unborn calf was considered a delicacy and was given to one of the local tribal chiefs. Rudy got to keep some of the meat that he wanted as pay for the job, and the rest went to local tribes people. In the 18 months we lived there, I know Rudy was called out to kill those buffalo, 2 giraffes caught up in a barbed wire fence, a leopard that was coming in to the edges of town at night and killing dogs, a bull elephant with an infected tusk (they said you could smell the gangrene from 100 meters), and a gang of Chacma baboons that were raiding garbage bins and killing pets. Those are just the stories I remember.
All good examples of them calling in the pros. Sometimes you need to turn to the guy that can do the job best. Putting down 3 cape buffalo with 3 shots is no easy matter. They don't call the buffalo "Black Death" for nothing. Mean and nasty critters on the best of days and downright deadly on the worst.

Cheers :cowboy
Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:58 pm

flags wrote:
GoodOyster wrote:When we lived in South Africa, we were right next to Kruger Park in a little town called Phalaborwa. One of the local guys that worked for my dad as a plant superintendent was also a PH, and he was THE GUY they called whenever something got loose from Kruger or was causing problems. One time 3 buffalo got loose and were running through downtown, ramming cars and tearing stuff up. People were afraid to go out on the street because these buffs were chasing anything that moved. Rudy, the guy who worked for my dad, was called and came into town in his old Range Rover, and with three shots put the buffs down. The biggest was an older cow who was pregnant, and just days from giving birth. The unborn calf was considered a delicacy and was given to one of the local tribal chiefs. Rudy got to keep some of the meat that he wanted as pay for the job, and the rest went to local tribes people. In the 18 months we lived there, I know Rudy was called out to kill those buffalo, 2 giraffes caught up in a barbed wire fence, a leopard that was coming in to the edges of town at night and killing dogs, a bull elephant with an infected tusk (they said you could smell the gangrene from 100 meters), and a gang of Chacma baboons that were raiding garbage bins and killing pets. Those are just the stories I remember.
All good examples of them calling in the pros. Sometimes you need to turn to the guy that can do the job best. Putting down 3 cape buffalo with 3 shots is no easy matter. They don't call the buffalo "Black Death" for nothing. Mean and nasty critters on the best of days and downright deadly on the worst.

Cheers :cowboy
Yep, not sure what he used, but I'm sure it was a small cannon! Saw his "gun room" once, and let's just say he had what could legitimately be called an arsenal.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Return to “EXOTICS HUNTING FORUM”