Anger Management to Buy Ammo?

This is a forum to discuss all your Political subjects.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

vonnick52
Star Scout

Anger Management to Buy Ammo?

Post by vonnick52 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:57 am

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03 ... latestnews

A Florida legislator wants anyone trying to buy ammunition to complete an anger management program first, in what critics say is the latest example of local lawmakers reaching for constitutionally-dubious solutions to the problem of gun violence.

The bill filed Saturday by state Sen. Audrey Gibson, D-Jacksonville, would require a three-day waiting period for the sale of any firearm and the sale of ammunition to anyone who has not completed anger management courses. The proposal would require ammo buyers to take the anger management courses every 10 years.

“This is not about guns," Gibson said. "This is about ammunition and not only for the safety of the general community, but also for the safety of law enforcement.”

Gibson said she’s concerned with citizens stockpiling ammunition, potentially creating dangerous situations should those individuals ever come in contact with law enforcement agencies or criminals.

“It’s about getting people to think, really, about how much ammunition they need,” Gibson said. “It’s a step, I think, in a safer direction. It’s about getting people to think before they buy.”

"When I first saw it, I thought it had to be a joke."

- Sean Caranna, executive director, Florida Carry

Gibson insisted the bill is not “accusatory” toward gun and ammunition owners, but rather an effort to improve the safety of her community. She recalled the death of a Jacksonville man, Jordan Davis, 17, who was fatally shot during a confrontation with another man in November. Michael David Dunn, 46, of Satellite Beach, has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the case.

Gibson first announced her intentions to introduce such legislation last month during a rally for Davis, saying “people are just not as patient as they used to be,” according to the Florida Times-Union.

“We see the rage on the road all the time,” she continued Wednesday. “People are just more impatient, I don’t know what it is.”

Gibson’s bill does not offer a threshold for the amount of ammunition needed to necessitate the need for anger management courses.

“It is unlawful to: A) Sell ammunition to another person who does not present certification that he or she has successfully completed an anger-management program consisting of at least 2 hours of online or face-to-face instruction in anger-management techniques,” the bill reads. “The certification must be renewed every 10 years. B) Purchase or otherwise obtain ammunition by fraud, false pretense, or false representation.”

Those in violation of the bill, if passed, would face a second-degree misdemeanor charge. Anyone found in violation a second time within a year of a prior conviction would face a first-degree misdemeanor charge.

Critics of the bill, however, derided the legislation as “absolutely ridiculous” and suggested that Gibson take a course on the U.S. Constitution.

“When I first saw it, I thought it had to be a joke,” said Sean Caranna, executive director of Florida Carry, a nonprofit group championing the right to bear arms. “They’re trying to say that anyone who owns a gun or shoots a gun or has ammunition for it needs counseling and obviously has some anger problems.”

Caranna said he was disappointed that Gibson wasted her time on the bill instead of focusing on other issues like jobs or the state’s rate of foreclosures, which is the highest in the nation.

“We’ve got a lot of issues that should be the focus of these bill slots with limited filing, but instead we put in something as ridiculous as this,” he said. “I don’t see a planet where this passes. This is an attempt to grab attention – it has to be. And that’s really disappointing.”

Jon Gutmacher, an Orlando attorney and author of “Florida Firearms: Law, Use & Ownership,” told FoxNews.com that the bill would almost certainly be found to be unconstitutional based on prior restraint.

“It has no reasonable relationship to anything,” he said. “There has to be a reasonable basis to believe that a person had a substantial anger problem that could cause public harm.”

Gutmacher said he found the bill to be an “insult” to any gun owner in the Sunshine State.

“It’s absurd on its face,” he continued. “And anyone who proposes that legislation is in my mind unfit for the legislature because it shows a basic problem with their thinking process, aside from their lack of understanding of what the Constitution is all about. That’s the kind of bill that doesn’t even get past committee.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03 ... z2MqXpSBZ2

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Anger Management to Buy Ammo?

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:12 am

This lady is a moon bat.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:10 am

Unreal.....

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:16 am

How do these people make it into public office?

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:54 am

This person got elected the same way Obama did. People either don't care or they got their hands out for a freebie. We're in a very sad time politically in the state and country. Treefarmer

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:02 am

We need to get all these wackoes out office.

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:03 am

treefarmer wrote:This person got elected the same way Obama did. People either don't care or they got their hands out for a freebie. We're in a very sad time politically in the state and country. Treefarmer
aint it the truth !!!
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:09 am

Oblahblah is at 46% approval rating now. Same % Romney talked about. With the entitlements nowadays that % will always vote D. We are screwed for a while
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:20 am

“We see the rage on the road all the time,” she continued Wednesday. “People are just more impatient, I don’t know what it is.”

Then why the hell doesn't anyone propose taking anger management before we are issued a driver's liscense or buying a new vehicle? I think 3000lbs of steel moving around 60mph is a hell of a lot more dangerous in the wrong hands.

Same mentality of folks keep these people in office - Just like Maxine Waters, Corrine Brown and Charles Rangel.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:38 am

Just did a search on Gibson. I had guessed right! She's even a member of the "Citizens for Tree Protection"! Treefarmer

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:07 am

treefarmer wrote:This person got elected the same way Obama did. People either don't care or they got their hands out for a freebie. We're in a very sad time politically in the state and country. Treefarmer
X2! You hit the nail on the head. If our government/congress doesn't make some changes in the very near future to entitlements (not including those collecting SS, who paid into it) we are in for a rude awakening. They are cutting the defense budget which is currently 32% of the budget while entitlements make up 64% of the budget.... Do you see a problem with this?

dadsahuntin
scout

Post by dadsahuntin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:34 am

I tell you right now I'll be so pissed if I ever had to take an anger management class.

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by drgn4sr » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:14 pm

I will be in the "black market" ammo business. what a moroon. (and I spelled it right) that is worse than a moron.

Devinv
scout

Post by Devinv » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:37 pm

Yes... I am very angry when I buy ammo. liberals man, they kill me.

FLhunter33
scout

Post by FLhunter33 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:59 pm

God that makes me angry!!

Return to “POLITICS & THE ECONOMY”