comes around goes around

This is a forum to discuss all your Political subjects.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

bellyacher
First Class Scout

comes around goes around

Post by bellyacher » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:30 am

WASHINGTON (AP) — Former Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. was sentenced to 2 ½ years in prison Wednesday for illegally spending $750,000 in campaign funds on personal items, the judge scolding the son of the famed civil rights leader for using the money as a "piggy bank" and sentencing his wife to a year as well.

However, Jackson, who emotionally apologized to his father, mother, congressional colleagues and others, was given significantly less prison time than federal guidelines recommend, recognized by the judge as a "complex person" who has done both good and bad.

Sandra Jackson, a former Chicago alderman, was sentenced for filing false joint federal income tax returns.

After prison, the former congressman is to spend three years on supervised release and complete 500 hours of community service. If he earns credit for good behavior in prison, he could end up serving closer to two years. He agreed to repay the $750,000 when he pleaded guilty earlier this year.

According to court documents, the Jacksons had spent campaign money on TV's, restaurant dinners, an expensive watch and other costly personal items.

Jackson, 48, had been a Democratic congressman from Illinois from 1995 until he resigned last November. In an emotional speech to the judge, he choked up and used tissues to blow his nose. He apologized and said he wanted to "take responsibility for my actions."

"I misled the American people. I misled the House of Representatives. I misled the Federal Election Commission," he said. "I was wrong."

"I also want to apologize to my dad and to my mother," Jackson added, stopping to compose himself.

The elder Jackson, who sat in the front row during the proceedings, told a crush of reporters outside the courthouse later: "This has been an extraordinarily difficult time for our family."
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Re: comes around goes around

Post by JBUG308 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:04 am

"I misled the American people. I misled the House of Representatives. I misled the Federal Election Commission," he said. "I was wrong."

At least he admitted it, but if he truly meant it is another thing. I can't help to think though, if this had been an average person how hard they would have gotten hit with jail time? I'm sure it would have been more than 2.5 years........

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:56 am

what country club is he gonna serve time in, club med?
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

3030wiz
scout

Post by 3030wiz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:47 pm

he is also still eligible for gov benefits, retirement, healthcare etc

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by drgn4sr » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:20 pm

those Illinois politicians keeps the jails filled. You can't tell me he didn't try to buy the senate seat from "Brago".

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:26 am

3030wiz wrote:he is also still eligible for gov benefits, retirement, healthcare etc
that's BS, he should be stripped of all benefits. as being a felon now he cant vote or is that just for the rest of us?
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

dadsahuntin
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by dadsahuntin » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:15 am

If you cant vote you shouldnt be able to be voted for. Lots of NY mayors should be facing the same situation.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:33 pm

Loss of rights such as being able to vote, owning firearms, etc. is not the same in every state, and can depend on if the charges were federal or state charges. So just the fact that you are a felon does not necessarily mean your rights are lost forever. They can be restored in some cases.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Return to “POLITICS & THE ECONOMY”