Handgun recommendation?

Discuss firearms and other weapons you have, you want, you've seen or you have other interest in.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Handgun recommendation?

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:48 pm

Hello guys, I hope you guys had fantastic thanksgiving and also great weekends as well.

Well, I'm posting this to ask you guys some suggestions about a handgun because I'll be able to purchase in 3 days.

I've been going in and out of multiple gun shops to try out couple handguns and narrowed down to 3 options.

1) HK P30 with .40 cal S&W. (Really liked the grip and also the fact that comes with 3 different grip sizes. One that was I have to change my grip to reach mag release)

2) HP USP .40 cal full size. (Big pistol but I heard many reputations about this pistol. Also can't reach mag release easily like P30)

3) Smith & Wesson M&P .40 cal full size with thumb safety (What I'm really looking to buy out of other 2 options. Works perfect with "Small" grip on my hand)

On HK series pistols, I really do not like their safety positions because every time when I try to press the mag release, I have to re-position my whole fingers to reach them... Maybe larger mag release upgrade would help...?

I have decent size hand but not too large either.

Any advice?

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Re: Handgun recommendation?

Post by nachogrande » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:57 pm

a reconditioned sig sauer with a full lifetime warranty app 500$. I've had my 9mm 226 since they were introduced to this country and is still as good or better than new. do you want full size, sub compact, high mag cap, double/single stack mags?
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by X711 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:05 pm

Yup, what he said..

what are you looking to use the weapon for mainly?
i.e. concealed carry? glove box gun? home self defense? ect...

why .40 only?

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:12 pm

The m&ps are nice, the Sig 220,226 are badass, if you are looking for a full size pistol look for one of the 220series of Sig. They are extremely reliable and accurate. One of my buddies had his 226 fall off his truck at 60mph and it slid a couple hundred yards down SR64 and aside from some serious road rash it still shoots like a dream.

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:57 pm

if your looking for a hunting handgun send me a PM and I will send ya pics and info
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:16 am

for carry my primary is semi auto but my true favorites are wheelguns. if money were no object a S&W 686 in 357 and a mdl 617 in 22lr are identical in size and shape, are much more accurate and you don't have to pick up brass. and are a much better way to learn and practice for beginner thru pro. the only caliber most of us can afford to shoot 3-500 rounds a week is a 22lr. H&K'S are fine weapons but check out the price of ammo esp on 45's. what good is it if you can't afford the ammo to learn how to use it well. a big + for 9mm is military surplus ammo.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:53 am

nachogrande wrote:a reconditioned sig sauer with a full lifetime warranty app 500$. I've had my 9mm 226 since they were introduced to this country and is still as good or better than new. do you want full size, sub compact, high mag cap, double/single stack mags?
X2! What do you wanna use it for?

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:59 am

houseofmicah wrote:The m&ps are nice, the Sig 220,226 are badass, if you are looking for a full size pistol look for one of the 220series of Sig. They are extremely reliable and accurate. One of my buddies had his 226 fall off his truck at 60mph and it slid a couple hundred yards down SR64 and aside from some serious road rash it still shoots like a dream.
That's what you get when you own a quality all steel pistol! The 220 is probably the best full size 45 next to a quality 1911, but a little to big for me to conceal carry her every day. Mine is my night stand gun next to our bed.

Ironcat
Second Class Scout

Handgun recommendation?

Post by Ironcat » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:14 am

Glock

halligan017
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by halligan017 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:26 am

Ironcat wrote:Glock
x2

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:51 am

combat tupperware is lighter. and for the price glock is a good value,reliable and accurate. the big + for them to me is if you are a leo or want to carry 2 guns, the mags will work in each gun within caliber, and they have no external safeties to worry about if in a hurry. glock and sig are the only 2 semi's I wouldn't hesitate to buy used, and you can get some good deals on returned police issues. just about my most accurate pistol to date is a compact sig 239 40 cal single stack, groups at 30' you can cover with a poker chip, but that is with a very specific bullet wt and handload. don't expect to get rifle accuracy from a larger bore pistol. it takes the right load and practice. I strongly urge you to make your first handgun a 22 lr, learn good shooting techniques and fire lot's of ammo. then move up the caliber ladder. so many start with a big badass gun, then spend years trying to unlearn bad habbits/techniques and flinches. and due to ammo cost can't afford to shoot it enough to become profficient. the money you save on ammo will pay for the larger caliber gun later.

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by X711 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:54 am

It all boils down to what you are using it for..

i've got 3 9mm's, 2 22lr's, 1 357 and even a .44 ball/cap for pistols.. each one is different in at least one way and all have different "jobs"

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 am

Sorry guys! Forgot to mention what the purpose will be.

I'm planning on conceal carry.

At the gun shop, tried couple holsters with full-size smith & wesson M&P and they fitted great and pretty comfortable. Weight didn't really bother either.

I chose .40 cal because I like the fact that they're between 9mm and .45 ACP

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by X711 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:31 am

Going to recommend smaller framed guns for proper concealment.

and then going with smaller framed firearm the .40 would be to large of load so 9mm fits that bill better.

I've tried subcompact glock in .40 and was just to hard to conceal completely unless in winter only when sweatshirts come out.

for semi the 380's are great, but if you want the biggest round possible in a small frame the 9mm's work also.. my small carry is a ruger LC9 and bigger carry is XD9 subcompact.
also there is option of revolver in the LCR series from ruger (simple never fail revolver in .22/.38 spec. and .357)

I owned .40's for years, and got sick of ammo costs for fun shoot's and went to same style but in 9mm.. Great switch in my opinion.. good quality 9mm load will work when you need it to count also. (forgot to mention the availability of 9mm, if ever a SHTF you can stock up on 9mm for a better price)

I do plan on adding a .45 soon in the 1911 frame for that "big gun" in the night stand.

Ironcat
Second Class Scout

Handgun recommendation?

Post by Ironcat » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:57 am

This is what we do for a living.
Concealment is partly based on gun, partly on holster, partly on clothing, partly on placement, and partly on the size of the individual as well, bigger guys are less able to conceal.
I wear a full sized 9mm (G17) every day and it doesn't print unless I choose my clothing poorly.
You can conceal anything if you do it right...

Return to “THE ARMORY”