Remington 700 value

Discuss firearms and other weapons you have, you want, you've seen or you have other interest in.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Re: Remington 700 value

Post by Skunk Ape » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:00 pm

I started buying synthetic stock rifles just because I hunt so much,all my wood stocks are all scratched up. My synthetics look fine.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:14 pm

Skunk Ape wrote:I started buying synthetic stock rifles just because I hunt so much,all my wood stocks are all scratched up. My synthetics look fine.
I completely agree with you skunk. I know the old timers love good wood :shifty , and it adds value to a gun, but my guns are tools. A wood stock on a gun of mine will get beat to shizz
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:18 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:
Skunk Ape wrote:I started buying synthetic stock rifles just because I hunt so much,all my wood stocks are all scratched up. My synthetics look fine.
I completely agree with you skunk. I know the old timers love good wood :shifty , and it adds value to a gun, but my guns are tools. A wood stock on a gun of mine will get beat to shizz
Right on. Agree. Nothing wrong with having a second stock for the woods!!!!

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Remington 700 value

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:06 pm

I like the wood look and the weight of it.

Sent From Cr0ck1' IPhone most likely from the woods.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:23 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:

One of the reasons I like hunting with the AR. Don't really care what happens to it, its already ugly & damn near indestructible.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:46 pm

if youre a tradesman you would take decent care of your tools right? unless you throw them into truck beds,boat bottoms or severely abuse them all you will end up with is dents/dings and you would have to do something pretty serious to scratch thru a finish, most of which are charector marks imo. your hand will protects the grip area, a stock shell carrier protects most of the butt stock and some cloth tape protects the rest if you want, or you could use chaps and remove after seasson. now by synthetic is that a polite term for plastic or are you talkin wood lamie,kevlar or fiberglass which I would call synthetic and like those types. but those hollow injection molded shoulderbreakers got nothin going for them, imo but being weather proof. with all the epoxy/oils and other finishes wood can be made weatherfroof and very wear resistant and still have the look of wood. imo wood lamie looks good,has the wt to absorb recoil, is weatherproof and tough/durable.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:13 pm

nachogrande wrote:if youre a tradesman you would take decent care of your tools right? unless you throw them into truck beds,boat bottoms or severely abuse them all you will end up with is dents/dings and you would have to do something pretty serious to scratch thru a finish, most of which are charector marks imo. your hand will protects the grip area, a stock shell carrier protects most of the butt stock and some cloth tape protects the rest if you want, or you could use chaps and remove after seasson. now by synthetic is that a polite term for plastic or are you talkin wood lamie,kevlar or fiberglass which I would call synthetic and like those types. but those hollow injection molded shoulderbreakers got nothin going for them, imo but being weather proof. with all the epoxy/oils and other finishes wood can be made weatherfroof and very wear resistant and still have the look of wood. imo wood lamie looks good,has the wt to absorb recoil, is weatherproof and tough/durable.
I don't have a problem with them, I've been knockin' the hell out of the deer with mine. My T/C Omega,2 Rem 700's,my kids NEF .243,and my Rem express 870 all have been taking lot's of game the last 5 years. My wood stocked rifles all have scratches from treestands and God only knows what else. I still bust a few with my BLR,and that rifle is still my baby.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:40 pm

wood or plastic will scratch if you drag it across a rusty nail or barbed wire, but with plastic who cares. wood lamie is a good in between imo. any will kill.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:44 am

I respect yalls passion for classic guns. I have many myself, and if yall ever come over I will let yall fondle some of them
But at the end of the day, I kill between 4-10 animals a year. None of them cared what stock or finish I had on my gun. Because I asked every one of them after I shot
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:55 pm

if you have a gun that is special to you for whatever reason and makes your time in the woods carrying it more enjoyable, I say use it. lifes to short to worry over dents and scratches, just look at my truck. and if it really bothers you, you could always refinish it during the off season.

Return to “THE ARMORY”