Duracoat? Gunkote?

Discuss firearms and other weapons you have, you want, you've seen or you have other interest in.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Duracoat? Gunkote?

Post by GoodOyster » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:37 pm

Got a S&W 12-2 Airweight snubbie on the way, got it on GB. Pixs and description indicate some surface rust on cylinder and holster wear. I think this will be the gun I give my daughter, and I want to pretty it up some.

What's the better DIY gun coating for revolvers - Duracoat or Gunkote? Any other suggestions besides re-bluing or anodizing?
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Duracoat? Gunkote?

Post by X711 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:51 pm

cerakote is option also if you can do duracoating

GoodOyster

Post by GoodOyster » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:43 pm

Does cerakote have a DIY kit? Everything I see indicate you have to send it to somebody else to get done. I want to do this myself not send it to somebody else.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by X711 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:25 pm

yes..

for best results a airbrush or small HVLP gun work best..

then after spraying you need to bake in oven for couple hours.. so need oven with enough room also.

but its hands down much more durable than dura or gunkote.

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by X711 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 pm

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 26563.aspx

and you can get them direct from manufacture in many more color options

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:02 pm

I met forum member kemster at lincoln tactical, he done some duracoating for me on a AR and an airweight. wonderful job and right prices
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Bead Blast it!

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:21 pm

I've used KG Gunkote and Norrell moly bake on finish on several guns and they all turned out nice.
I have a 1911A1 pistol which I used Norrel on inside and out and after spending 6+ years on a CC fishing boat it is still rust free.
My daily carry pistol has Norrell too and after 5+ years and thousands of drawing and holstering it has minimal wear on edges and corners. I refinished a LEO Remington 870 shotgun with KG Gunkote for a friend and after 2+ years it's still looks new.

The key to good finish is surface preparation and then accurate baking time and temperature.

GoodOyster

Post by GoodOyster » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:52 pm

kc45 wrote:I've used KG Gunkote and Norrell moly bake on finish on several guns and they all turned out nice.
I have a 1911A1 pistol which I used Norrel on inside and out and after spending 6+ years on a CC fishing boat it is still rust free.
My daily carry pistol has Norrell too and after 5+ years and thousands of drawing and holstering it has minimal wear on edges and corners. I refinished a LEO Remington 870 shotgun with KG Gunkote for a friend and after 2+ years it's still looks new.

The key to good finish is surface preparation and then accurate baking time and temperature.
Do you degrease then blast with aluminum oxide before using the Gunkote?
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:45 am

Krylon...

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:46 am

GoodOyster wrote:
kc45 wrote:I've used KG Gunkote and Norrell moly bake on finish on several guns and they all turned out nice.

Do you degrease then blast with aluminum oxide before using the Gunkote?
I clean and degrease and then blast with aluminum oxide then clean and rinse with acetone.
Finally I put it in the oven at 300 degrees for about 30 minutes for all oil to sweat out.
Then some more cleaning and degreasing.

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by X711 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:42 pm

^^^ good method for parts prep no matter what coating you use

GoodOyster

Post by GoodOyster » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:23 pm

99% of any coating job, whether it's painting, powder-coating, anodizing, plating, bluing, etc., is the prep work. Your finish and durability all depends on the prep. I've painted cars, boats, planes and associated parts professionally, not just as a hobby. They've been made from many materials, including cast iron, steel, stainless steel, titanium, aluminum, copper, fiberglass, plastics, urethane, phenolic, and stuff I wasn't sure what it was. About the only common denominator is the fact that you have to do the prep work right, or the finish won't last, and/or it will look like :crap: !

I just wish I had kept the little blast cabinet and accessories I had back when I did that kind of work. I think all I have now is a bucket of playground sand and a gravity feed spot-blaster gun that I haven't used in 5 or more years.
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Return to “THE ARMORY”