Chamber adapters

Discuss firearms and other weapons you have, you want, you've seen or you have other interest in.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Kortsman
Star Scout

Chamber adapters

Post by Kortsman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:57 pm

Was browsing around gun broker and I came across something called a chamber adapter aka shotgun adaptor.

It's basically a hollow shotgun shell that allows you to shoot different caliber bullets from it. For example, you can load a 44 mag into the 20g shell and then shoot it. Not sure about the accuracy you'd get, looks fun. Anyone ever shot one?

http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Convert-s ... er+adapter

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Re: Chamber adapters

Post by bellyacher » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:52 am

seen some video of them on you tube and accuracy was ok at short distance but fell off real fast. depending on price it mite not be a bad thing to have one or two diff. cals for J.I.C.
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:18 am

So what happens to the bullet when you fire it? Do you have a .45 bouncing around inside a 12/20 ga barrel?
Looks like an accident waiting to happen
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by X711 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:04 am

shotgun to shotgun ones in theory would be fine w/ any pellet shot
the 10ga to 20ga and 12 to 20 or .410 the same... also good for letting kid shoot it with smaller load..

would pass on any rifle or handgun round though..

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:44 am

Iluv2hunt wrote:So what happens to the bullet when you fire it? Do you have a .45 bouncing around inside a 12/20 ga barrel?
Looks like an accident waiting to happen
I thought the same thing. All the testimonials on the manf. website said it was great for changing shotgun calibers. They didn't have one review about pistol calibers. Youtube had a few videos of people shooting them. Then I got to watching people shooting homemade zip guns... Crazy! Guys shooting 12g buckshot from two pieces of pipe. Thought about making one for about 2 seconds and then realized I value my hands too much!

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Since the adapter is 2.75 inches long, and a most handgun calibers are going to be an inch or more shorter, I expect the adapter is rifled in the non-chamber section, giving it enough spin to fly straight out of the barrel without hitting it. Be cool if they could add a stepped down, longer barrel that would extend into the shotgun barrel, providing 6-10 inches of rifling.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:15 pm

2 3 /4" of rifling isn't going to be long enough to stabilize much, for any serious type of accuracy. say the rifling area was 2 1/2" with a twist rate of 1:10, 1 complete turn (revolution) in 10", that would be 1/4 turn/spin. it might be feasable for using a smaller shotgun guage/round in a larger guage gun. sounds gimmicky, not accurate and a waste of money to me. some quality shotguns have used full bbl insert sleeves for years that work well, but they are not cheap, and add wt.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:50 am

here is a video of a guy shooting 44mag thru 22lr and also has a 9mm rifled insert. [youtube]http://youtu.be/3l4PBOQT1dg[/youtube]
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:53 am

a 44 caliber round thru a 22 caliber bore? sounds like a golf ball thru a garden hose. sure it's not the other way around.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Return to “THE ARMORY”