Gun advice

Discuss firearms and other weapons you have, you want, you've seen or you have other interest in.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

OriginalCracker
Assistant Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Gun advice

Post by OriginalCracker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:03 pm

Looking into getting a handgun for my gf soon (well, really for both of us, but its her birthday so it's "hers" lol). She has shot many guns before so its not her first rodeo. I really don't know what to get her though. She obviously wants something black and pink lol, but I'm more concerned about getting a quality handgun we can keep forever. She wants to get her concealed too so she may carry it, but she has a big purse anyway so we don't really need to go super small. We're both in college, she's going for law enforcement, so were on a tight budget. Cheaper the better. Around 500 would work.

So what should we get? I know everyone recommends glock, but which one? I've shot a 1911 and loved it, but doubt I could get one in that price range. I know it's a bad time to be buying, so any recommendations for what I should get, how much I should expect to pay. Does anyone on here have anything for sale maybe? What caliber should I look for? I know how expensive ammo is and how hard it is to come by, what's a good caliber that is powerful enough to be useful for self defense, and easy to find for when we go to the range. Thanks guys!

OriginalCracker
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: Gun advice

Post by OriginalCracker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:05 pm

Oh, it doesn't have to be low recoil. I know she's a girl lol but she has shot many guns and won't be scared of anything.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:48 pm

If she can handle the .45 as you say, then go for the gusto and get as much firepower as you can. There are 1911s for under $500, from manufacturers like Rock Island Armory (Phillipines) and Tisas (Turkey), and while many 1911 purists and snobs don't like them, they get high praise and reviews from people who actually own them. Bud's has several in the $400 range, and you might have to put an after-market grip on it to get the best fit and feel, but can still come away for under $500.

There is also the Bersa Thunder 45UC, which also gets great reviews from owners. It is almost impossible to find new or used, though.

I'd think 9mm is the smallest caliber to consider for main carry, although .380 is effective at most SD ranges. I have a Bersa BP9cc I use for CC, and it is a sweet shooter, and very comfortable in my Remora IWB holster.

.40S&W is a great caliber, but some find it a bit snappy and harder to get a follow-up shot quickly. I have a Beretta 9000s I was going to use for CC until I ran across the Bersa BP9cc. Since I have the Bersa, I may sell the Beretta, haven't decided yet. The Beretta is a nice gun, not made anymore, kind of the predecessor to the PX4 Storm. I haven't shot it a lot because I only had one mag for it, and couldn't find another, so going to the range and having to reload the same mag over and over was a pain. Finally found out that mags for the Beretta 96 would work, so I got one of those, but now I can't find any target ammo at a price I want to pay. But it is well made, and solid, and eventually ammo will get back on the shelves (I hope).

That's my 2¢, might only be worth half that, though!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

OriginalCracker
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by OriginalCracker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:22 pm

What's a gusto? I googled it and other stuff comes up. Do you know of a good website to check prices? I hate to buy a pistol right now especially not knowing much about how much which ever gun is worth, and I know people have their used guns selling right now for outrageous prices
Lift a truck, Fat chicks cant jump.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:46 pm

Bud's Gun Shop is the best online source to show what new guns are selling for
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

GoodOyster

Post by GoodOyster » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:27 pm

OriginalCracker wrote:What's a gusto? I googled it and other stuff comes up. Do you know of a good website to check prices? I hate to buy a pistol right now especially not knowing much about how much which ever gun is worth, and I know people have their used guns selling right now for outrageous prices

LOL, "go for the gusto" is a phrase meaning something like "get all you can get". Think it was from old beer commercials.

Like Iluv2hunt said, check Bud's for an idea on prices: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

You can also go to www.slickguns.com and look for specials. Figure in FFL transfer of around $30 (can be found cheaper in some areas), and any shipping when comparing online prices to local gun shops. If you find a private seller with a good deal, you won't have those expenses. Just harder to find people selling something used for a reasonable price, takes a bit of patience.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

OriginalCracker
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by OriginalCracker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:32 pm

thanks guys for the help. if you dont mind, what are a few guns you cant go wrong with? like a list of a couple that are known quality guns around that price range. this way i can search used first, then decide if i want to go new or not.
so far i like what im seeing about that bersa, but cant find any used. Ill keep looking though. I might go new for her

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:08 pm

I've got a Rock Island .45...I like it. It's no frills, and dependable. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a .45
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:21 pm

whatever you choose opt for quality, and you can get it for 500$ used with some homework. if she is going for LE I'm thinking something that leo's are often issued or buy for themselves for back ups. the S&W snub nose revolvers (not the ultra lights), or Colts if you can find one or the Ruger sp 101 are good solid choices in revolvers. reconditioned by factory glocks and sig sauers are good choices for semi's and should still be in your budget. for conceal carry in a semi I like the single stacks, yes they hold less ammo but they fit the hand and feed much better and have a slimmer profile as well. ask her prof's opinions or some older/wiser leos that have been around the block more than once. if it's gonna be your first gun and you are young and plan on being together a while I'd say splurge on a mdl 617 S&W used with as short a bbl as you can find in a 10-shot 22lr caliber. you can go to the range with it and shoot a brick of ammo (500 rounds) without breaking the bank (20-40$ and dropping now). larger calibers you may never be able to afford to shoot that many rounds in years, certainly not in an afternoon. learning and staying in top form with a handgun takes LOTS of practice.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

OriginalCracker
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by OriginalCracker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. this definitely isnt my first gun, but will be my first owned pistol, well her first owned pistol too. I had her shoot a .357 magnum yesterday at the range (free rental if you purchase their ammo). She shot it well, and liked it a lot. I think she would rather a semi-auto though. She shot a .45 a while ago, but i dont even remember what it was. We already have a .22 rifle, and she isnt impressed with it, believe it or not she had more fun shooting my 30-06 (my wallet didnt enjoy that lol). I think she likes the power lol.

Ill keep all this in mind. I like the idea of checking some reconditioned prices as you mentioned. I guess they just sell those off their main websites? And if anyone on here is selling, let me know. I will want to do more researching, but let me know.
Thanks again guys!

ELS
scout

Post by ELS » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:53 pm

I own a Tarus 92 and Love it. It is a very accurate 9 MM with plenty of fire power ( 17 shot clips ). I just bought a Walther PPK/S in .380 and it is a Fantastic and accurate gun also. I have a 5 shot Tarus .38 I carry Concealed also. Once more, another gun I highly reccomend. All were less then 500, the PPK/S was right at 500. I hope this helps.

OriginalCracker
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by OriginalCracker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:11 pm

lol cool im happy to hear quality handguns can be had for $500 and below. Looks like i have some searching to do. If anyone has any website recommendations let me know, or if you know of any good online deals and what-not. I really dont trust my lack of knowledge to buy local, or even go out to buy used without doing some research. I hear people are buying new guns right now then turning around and selling them at gun shows for much more than they paid. Thanks everyone once again

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:18 pm

try and find a sig, you can if you look hard enough. they are hard to beat. the m&p's are nice too. good luck!

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:39 pm

check out the springfield XDM. also they have a XDS small 45acp great for carry. find something that fits your hand and comes on target when raised.
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

GoodOyster

Post by GoodOyster » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:38 am

Try http://www.summitgunbroker.com/ for some nice used guns, police turn-ins, etc. Also carries new but can usually get them cheaper on other sites.
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Return to “THE ARMORY”