New blunderbuss

Discuss firearms and other weapons you have, you want, you've seen or you have other interest in.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

vonnick52
Star Scout

Re: New blunderbuss

Post by vonnick52 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Doubt it would hurt anything providing it wasn't lots of rounds. Lead < steel.

lonehunter

Post by lonehunter » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:39 am

Iluv2hunt wrote:Dumb question. Can you shoot regular shot shells thru a rifled barrel? It would definitely not be a regular event. Just thinking if I carried this gun in the truck for a hog gun, but wanted to keep a bird shot handy to shoot a moccasin, would it do any damage to the rifling??
It will not pattern worth a crap, will have a tendency to leave a hole in the middle of the pattern. Tried it many times with ML, ended up buying a smoothbore barrel.
Flintlock, The only ignition system approved by god!

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:48 pm

lonehunter wrote:
Iluv2hunt wrote:Dumb question. Can you shoot regular shot shells thru a rifled barrel? It would definitely not be a regular event. Just thinking if I carried this gun in the truck for a hog gun, but wanted to keep a bird shot handy to shoot a moccasin, would it do any damage to the rifling??
It will not pattern worth a crap, will have a tendency to leave a hole in the middle of the pattern. Tried it many times with ML, ended up buying a smoothbore barrel.
don't think it would hurt it for a now and then thing,but it would probally mess the rifleing up if it was done all the time. just for a snake killin now and then should be fine
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:27 am

Finally got around to shooting this gun for the first time this weekend. I finally put a scope on it a couple weeks ago. The Hornady SST ammo in 2 3/4 did not shoot worth a diddly darn. I actually had a hard time getting started because the sabot and bullet were both hitting the paper and ripping holes at 25 yards. Couldn't tell which was which. Had to back the target off a bit so the sabot wouldnt hit it. I used them to get it roughly on, then switched to the Remington all copper slugs. I shot 2 thru the same hole at about 30 yards. Then moved the target back to roughly 75 yards and hit right next to the 2 previous holes. That was probably my most expensive zeroing in session in my life ever. lol
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:28 am

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:24 am

Iluv2hunt wrote: switched to the Remington all copper slugs. I shot 2 thru the same hole at about 30 yards. Then moved the target back to roughly 75 yards and hit right next to the 2 previous holes. That was probably my most expensive zeroing in session in my life ever. lol
I settled on the Remington all copper as well. They were more consistent than the other two rounds I used. That short barrel will breath some fire won't it?
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:22 am

Congrats! Those guns with a bipod are the bomb from the bench & even in the field, you can just set it down in the dirt. The short oal & balance make carrying the extra wt, not "as bad" as you might think. I just got my 2 barrel set (223/243) Varmintmaster back from consignment at GUNRIGHT gun shop on SHD that went belly up a few days later. I like the H&R so much I am tempted to keep it and possibly sell the Uber fine Remington 40x, Kinda like selling a M Benz and keeping a pinto, but once they heat up they shoot awful similar. Polar opposites of the price spectrum I really like the break open design of the H&R better than the single shot bolt. Just when you are trying to downsize, all kinda deals come up.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:33 am

I know. Been getting rid of some stuff I don't use here lately. Had a deal worked out to make a trade for a nice Mathews bow, but the guy flaked on me. Go figure.

This gun kicks like a mule, but honestly not too bad. The weight really absorbs a lot of it. Don't know how much I will use it. Butt you know I gotta try it out and see the carnage

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:01 pm

Or add an extra bull bbl in about any caliber you can name, installed for 130$. It'd make a fine gun for Jr. There are U-tube videos on how to improve the trigger. For the $ NOTHING comes close IMO. If you think the single shot will slow you down, think again. I found I shot A LOT more rounds from the bench with the single shot than any other action, because it was so much more enjoyable/ stable & accurate.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:49 pm

You can but it might not pattern well. Don't make a regular thing and you'll never know the difference as far as the rifling goes.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:56 pm

Al, I'd like to film you slapping a big one down that with that!
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:39 am

blackpowderscout wrote:Al, I'd like to film you slapping a big one down that with that!
I hit a doe with mine last year, shot was high, pinned her through both shoulders at 75 yds. I have never seen an animal hit the ground so hard in my life. The doe didn't just fall over, it was like she was literally hit by a truck and then immediately forced flat on her side. No twitch, no kick....lights out DRT
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:54 pm

If you ever want to get rid of it, put me on the short list. That thing is nice!!!

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:57 pm

i dont believe it would damage the rifling too bad, but i think that the rifling would spread the shot out so much it would be ineffective. ask me how i know? put some loose shot in my tc renegade to see if i could shoot small game or birds, pattern was about 4 ft around at 10 yds.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

New blunderbuss

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:17 pm

That thing is bad azz Al!

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.

Return to “THE ARMORY”