oldie but a goodie

Discuss firearms and other weapons you have, you want, you've seen or you have other interest in.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

bellyacher
First Class Scout

oldie but a goodie

Post by bellyacher » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:30 pm

pick this up today. S&W model 10 no dash. best part only $250
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Re: oldie but a goodie

Post by nachogrande » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:18 pm

Did you do any research on it? If you remove the grips you may find some stamps indicating a police dept/country it was issued to, ser # for age. depending on the age & condition of the grips if original to the gun the grips may be worth more than 250$. In 1975 N.H. the local police were just unloading them as they were then allowed to start carrying 357's. I bought a boatload of those for app 35$ each at one lgs, drove maybe 15-30 minutes to sell it at another for 5-10$ profit and it kept me going for pocket cash my first 2 years in college. never even kept or fired one. to this day one of the slickest/smoothest revolvers I ever handled was a 3" mdl 10 all tricked out and re-blued. They wanted 300$ in 1976. Congrats.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:49 pm

if you can tell me more about it the S# is c 454xxx. inder the grips on the side of the grip frame is 99339 and a bit higher up the letter L. That's all I have found
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:28 am

You could contact S&W and get a search done for you for a price I believe, or go to one of the various ( google search) S&W or mdl 10 forums for free advice/info/value. That's the route I would go. Count the # of screws on the right hand side plate, & post some better quality pics of the entire gun from both sides, & the inside #'s in the crane/yolk area, as well as any markings on the frame or grips. More of or different parts of the ser # may be needed. I am by no means an expert, but if I had to take a WILD guess, I'd say you MIGHT have an older hand ejector mdl, maybe 1950-60's? Don't hold me to anything. Also look to see if the bbl is pinned. good luck and let us know.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:30 pm

The earliest variations/forefathers of that gun go back as far as the introduction of the 38 special round in 1899?. I believe they were called M&P's (military& police) and went head to head against Colts police positives for decades until S&W finally drove them into the ground by underselling Colt. It had some improvements & name changes (victory models/hand ejectors etc.), but wasn't officially called the model 10 until 1958-1959 thru 2010? Again don't quote me let S&W tell you. I shot steel challenge today with a guy that used both a 3" & a 4" mdl & they still work fine.

Return to “THE ARMORY”