Savage Model 10 Question

Discuss firearms and other weapons you have, you want, you've seen or you have other interest in.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

halligan017
Assistant Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Savage Model 10 Question

Post by halligan017 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:35 am

I have a Savage Model 10 in .308. It has the wood stock and blued barrel with the accutrigger and is topped with the Nikon Prostaff BDC scope. It is the Trophy Hunter XP in excellent shape with only 20-30 rounds down the pipe. It is accurate and an overall great rifle but I have a chance to get the same rifle in model 16 with the composite stock and stainless barrel.

My questions are:
1) Does the composite stock and stainless barrel make that big of a difference? I hunt in Mississippi in and it does get a little wet but never soaked and I take care to dry it and made sure it is cleaned and oiled before I put it in the safe.

2) What do you think I could get for my rifle? I'd need to sell it prior to buying the other one and my buddy said he would wait if I really wanted it.

Thanks for any ideas you all have.

Jason

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Savage Model 10 Question

Post by treefarmer » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:03 am

hallingan017,
Can't help you with the value of your rifle but the composite stock and stainless bbl. are a plus when dealing with wet conditions. Read a report recently comparing 2 similar rifles, one with a traditional wooden stock and the other with a composite stock and very wet conditions. After X number of hours the composite stocked rifle was still holding its' zero and the wood stock was about 6 inches out of zero, both windage and elevation. Advantage goes to the composite stock, but I'm still hunting with a wood stocked 700.
Treefarmer

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: Savage Model 10 Question

Post by born2hunt » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:55 pm

I have rifles in both. While I love the resistance to weather that the stainless/composite rifles have, there is nothing like the feel and look of a wood and blued gun.Over the years they pick up little nicks and scratches and worn spots from your hands and oils that all go together and form a sort of patina that just looks cool to me. Like when I hold my Grandaddy's old 12 gauge, that thing is pollished like an old coin and earned every mark on it. The gun just looks like it could tell ya some stories of its own.My stainless and composite rifles will never look like that, but some folks would not want them to. Just comes down to what ya like I guess.

Return to “THE ARMORY”