Multi vs single pin

Discuss firearms and other weapons you have, you want, you've seen or you have other interest in.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Multi vs single pin

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:05 am

I need to get my bow restrung and was thinking about swapping out my sight while it was at the shop. I am not a big target shooter, just enough to get ready for season. I am thinking about moving to a single pin sight. Get it set at 25 yds and leave it alone. The distance between my existing 20 yd and 30 yd was so close anyway it seems like a good idea to me. I would like to hear some thoughts and opinions from you guys that have used both. Right now I am looking at the HHA, Ascent & Black Gold.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

FLQuacker
Second Class Scout

Re: Multi vs single pin

Post by FLQuacker » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:35 pm

Are you talking single pin slider...or a single pin and you hold over/under on shots not pin sighted distance

I don't like sliding under stress....I usually knock the site off :)

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:52 pm

Single pin slider but lock it down at 25yds and use hold over/under. All my shots are set for 20 to 30 yds anyway. I guess one could come in closer but not really comfortable shooting past 30.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:00 pm

I keep saying I am going to redo my bow, but summer projects get in the way and then its too close to season to fool with it. May still go do it anyways. Having said that, when I do, I am going to go to a 2-pin sight. Set one at 20 and one at 50. I have 4 pins on now and I have noticed I have to "think about it" too much when I draw on an animal. I will never shoot at 50 at an animal, just want it for practice. I rarely shoot past 20 to be honest
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks for the motivation. Just ordered a new release. Been wanting to get away from this thumb release. When it comes in I'll take it in and get a new string and get my peep reset, then redo my pins
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:57 pm

I went with 1 pin set at 20 yards as I recall. My last yard the max distance was 25 yards & I had no trouble hitting squirrels raiding my garden from 10-20 yards. A bunch of pins piled one on top of the other for every 10 yards was confusing. I like to keep things simple and do as little thinking as possible, especially in a hunting situation, + my shots were never 30 yards (most much less). Bows keep getting faster & flatter shooting, so 2 pins one at 20 & 1 at 40 with a little holdover as needed should cover a lot of ground. Lots of new sights have come along since I sold my bow also.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

1jody256
scout

Post by 1jody256 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:01 am

I also use 2 pins 1 @ 20 yards, and 1 @ 40 yards and beyond(if that ever happens)less confusion when deer are in bow range.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:11 am

Strings are ordered, should be here early next week. I am looking forward to putting my hands on some new sights, might just pop in to BPS this afternoon to get an early look.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:46 am

My first bow was a slider never moved it. if you shoot enough you will know were to put the single pin. Like now just ugraded for my vision to a 50mm red dot sight.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:58 pm

Ted can you post what reddot sight you got? I am considering one. Looks like truglo makes a decent one for around $100

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:02 pm

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016WLQYA/ref ... TE_3p_dp_1

It not the cheapest not the best. but is appears so far to good.

It funny because it hangs from the top (upside down) adjusting it things work different. I took the covers off. I was a shoot in the dark but i really like it.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:12 pm

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DC5ZR1M/ref ... TE_3p_dp_1

The mount .
This and one part i had to make to mount this to.
I need to space it over and out an 1 inch and over about 3/8 inch

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:34 pm

I think where and how you hunt should have alot to do with it. I have tried it all and a single pin or slider worked good for tight tree stand set ups but I do alot of spot and stalk and it left me guessing to much on longer shots so I just went back to a 4 pin so I always have an aiming point once I get my range. I guess it just depends whether you want to remember what pin to use, or how high to hold the one pin.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:30 pm

Well if i was young again i never used pin with a long bow i shoot a bunch of squires and rabbits. pin don't make you accurate practice make you deadly.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:53 am

I got my new release yesterday. Had to reset my peep site, and redefine my anchor point. I shot like absolute crapola. Shot about 15 arrows and hung it up

Return to “THE ARMORY”