Browning BLR

Discuss firearms and other weapons you have, you want, you've seen or you have other interest in.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Browning BLR

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:47 pm

Good, bad, ugly?
Just made a trade for one in .308.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: Browning BLR

Post by born2hunt » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:42 pm

Good ?....Its a Browning
..its a lever gun
..with a detatchable box
..and its in 308
.. I see nothing bad there, just a good ole rifle.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:54 pm

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:39 pm

Heck yea bro, That's a nice one there. Don't know what you traded,but don't thing you went wrong
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

renegade
scout

Post by renegade » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:44 pm

Sweet, nice gun.
What kind of scope is that.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:04 pm

The scope is a Swift. About their $130 model. I just ordered a set of DNZ mounts for it. I can't deal with those see thru rings

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:26 pm

Great rifle, bad mounts and I don't know squat about Swift rifle scopes. You're doin' the right thing gettin' rid of the see thru mounts, your cheek needs to be down on the stock, not reared up like an ol' gobbler tryin' to see over a palmetto patch. I'm sure others can and will sing the praises of a see thru mount and I respect their opinion. No see thru mounts allowed on any of my rifles, besides that I'm too old to use iron sights anyway :crip .
Treefarmer

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:41 pm

See thru mounts were popular back in the 90s. I had them on my 3006 when I dog hunted, and before I knew better. I Traced the gun to 1992. There's not a mark on it. I'm sure the scope is that old. I will re glass it next year when I get some play money recooped.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

GOOD/BAD/UGLY

Post by nachogrande » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:51 pm

GOOD, hell yes. BAD, nope. Ugly? in the eye of the beholder, for ME those see thru mounts & big scope on a small/handy rifle, YES they are ugly not the rifle. The most shocked by unexpected rifle accuracy I've ever seen was Gunboy shooting a BLR takedown in 308. A 1.5x5 or 2x7 smaller sized scope would look better, be handier, & give you all the magnification you will ever need, IMO. +1 on the DNZ's. Browning & Savage less traditional levers are about the only ones I agree need a scope to take advantage of the caliber. Good find. :rock_on
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:47 am

treefarmer wrote: You're doin' the right thing gettin' rid of the see thru mounts, your cheek needs to be down on the stock, not reared up like an ol' gobbler tryin' to see over a palmetto patch.
Treefarmer
That is funny as heck, but pretty much sums it up. Thanks for the laugh :rock_on

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:40 am

Don't know what you traded, but you've got a good 'un. I have one for my son just like it in .243.

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:43 pm

My pa-inlaw has a swift scope on a pump 06 and that thing is clearer at low light than anything I have ever looked through . For a blue collar optic line I think they are very solid glass.

eaj1010
scout

Post by eaj1010 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:28 pm

Great GUN! Not sure what you traded for it. One can't go wrong with the older Brownings.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Re: GOOD/BAD/UGLY

Post by M12Gunboy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:32 pm

nachogrande wrote:GOOD, hell yes. BAD, nope. Ugly? in the eye of the beholder, for ME those see thru mounts & big scope on a small/handy rifle, YES they are ugly not the rifle. The most shocked by unexpected rifle accuracy I've ever seen was Gunboy shooting a BLR takedown in 308. A 1.5x5 or 2x7 smaller sized scope would look better, be handier, & give you all the magnification you will ever need, IMO. +1 on the DNZ's. Browning & Savage less traditional levers are about the only ones I agree need a scope to take advantage of the caliber. Good find. :rock_on
What he said minus the SEE THROUGH mounts, I hate em. I put a 1.5x5x28 VX-III Leupold on mine mounted to the factory tapped receiver on low bases. I can comfortably take 200 yard and under shots with mine, just like it's a Winchester Model 70 or Remmy 700, and know I can hit where I'm shooting!

They are great guns. Congrats, you'll enjoy it, especially once you get used to it.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:03 pm

Finally got the dang scope mounted. What an ordeal.
Ordered DNZ mounts for a short action BLR (which the last time I checked, a 308 is a short action. Got them in a timely manner from Amazon, and they did not fit (hole patterns did not line up).
Processed a refund, sent them back, and ordered the mounts for a BAR/long action BLR. They fit. Then this set had a stripped screw hole. I think someone had bought this set and returned them.
Ordered replacement and had them shipped to my place in N Fla as I was going to be there for a few days. Mail carrier would not leave them as noone was there ( I was in the woods). Had to leave a note to please leave the danged package. Instead of walking 40' to my door, she shoved a box bigger than the mailbox into the mailbox, breaking my mailbox...lol

Finally got the mounts and scope on the gun today. May try to go to Shooters world over the week and get it sighted in. It looks like 308 ammo is pricey. I picked up a box of "Federal Deer Thugs", which is Fusion ammo under a walmart trademarked logo. Guess I'll see if this thing will fire or not

Return to “THE ARMORY”