New Sidearm

Discuss firearms and other weapons you have, you want, you've seen or you have other interest in.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Star Scout

New Sidearm

Post by 30.06 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:51 pm

Pick up my first 1911 on thur. i bought a rock island armory .45 tactical model. i have heard a lot of good things about the rock islands, and could not beat the price. i will let you know how it runs after i get to the range.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: New Sidearm

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:52 am

As much as people knock on some of the cheaper brands like Rock Island or Taurus, I hear just as many stories about weapons that have no issues at all after 1000's of rounds. I have personally had a full size Taurus in .40 that was a great shooter, no issues after too many rounds to count. Now, I think you are going to really like the 1911. It is one of the easiest pistols to aim naturally IMO. I traded for a tricked out SA CCO awhile back after owning a couple of full size SIG's and I think I will stick with the 1911 from now on.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by drgn4sr » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:49 pm

My biggest "knock" of the cheaper brands is resale. It is either harder to sell because no one wants the brand or you can't get your$$$$ back out of it.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:36 am

You have that right, can't pay close to retail on any of that stuff. I have always found it easier to throw in on a trade to make the $ match up.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:52 am

well the rock island ran just fine, it is much easier to handle than my .40, and much easier to hit point of aim. took me a while to get used to aiming my .40 after getting it, and i was hitting the mark after a mag or 2 with the .45, due to its natural pointabilitiy. while i agree that resale is not as high, i did not by this as a collector piece, but as a carry gun, woods gun, and range gun. god forbid i ever had to use it for home defense, or personal defense, i would hate for a nice colt, or something nicer to be held in evidence for who knows how long, all the while sitting in a plastic bag in Florida. Now if i want something for resale, i would be looking for some of the old 1911s that had seen service, collecting historical pieces has always been an interest of mine....however funds are not there for that yet. the purchase of this piece was for practicality, and my first 1911. i am glad i did buy it, and while the rock is not "pretty" it is very accurate. it will be a good base for me to build upon if i want to customize, as they dont put highest quality parts in it, and ordering some wilson combat or ed brown parts would dress it up. for now i am going to shoot it as is, maybe get a barrel upgrade after 1000 rnds or so.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:32 pm

lets see a pic of the new pistol
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:43 pm

tcr, i would post pics if i could figure out how with this wannabe computer i have.

Return to “THE ARMORY”