.25-06 refinishing project

Discuss firearms and other weapons you have, you want, you've seen or you have other interest in.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

.25-06 refinishing project

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:10 am

I got this gun last week from a fellow forum member. After I got it home and looked at it closely, I decided it needed some TLC. The finish needed re-doing regardless, and there was some surface rust on the barrel. So I decided to make this a project gun.
First thing I did was take the gun apart and give all the parts a thorough cleaning. It had a lot of grime and dust build up in all the nooks n crannies. Then I stripped the finish off of the stock and fore end. I used a commercial finish remover from Waly world. After I got the finish off, there was a lot of gun oil soaked in the stock. So I spent a couple hours sweating the crap out of it. After all that, it needed a good sanding. A 12 pack of Miller Lites later I had it done and prepped. Then I had to get the surface rust off the barrel. A few more beers, some 0000 steel wool and gun oil, and it was good as new
Here is the only pic I took in the whole process
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: .25-06 refinishing project

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:12 am

After taping, prepping and painting, here is how it turned out. I put several layers of clear coat on it and left it in the hot sun to bake on. The finish is hard as a rock now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

TimE1
Patrol Leader

Post by TimE1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:19 am

Looks awesome good job!

Papa_J
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by Papa_J » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:34 am

That's a beaut! How did you do the camo pattern, and why didn't you paint the scope mount?

XD45
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by XD45 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:05 am

good lookin job :toast
2012 archery-1 doe

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:05 am

Don't lean that up on a tree and walk off, you won't be able to find it again! Looks nice, is that an H&R?
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:04 am

I saw that gun the day before you bought it so I know how it looked before, great job and fast. thought it had a nice wt barrel on it. now the million $ question, how does it shoot? and what kind of clear coat finish did you use?
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

flhuntfish

Post by flhuntfish » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:21 am

that came out great :toast

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:32 pm

I used the Krylon fusion paint. The first step and most important is getting all the oils off of the gun. If there is ANY, the paint will not stick. If anyone ever tries this, I have some advice...Do not use a primer if you are using that paint. I screwed up Friday night and had a gummy, gooey mess that I had to remove. I tried priming the metal with rustoleum heavy rust primer. Well that was fine, but what happened is when I sprayed the Krylon, they had a reaction. I ended up with a mess. Had I not been in the Vortex bottles so heavy I would have researched further and realized that it states on the Krylon can to NOT use a primer. 2 cans of Non-chlorinated brake cleaner and I was back to bare metal.

So I cleaned the gun real good with the brake cleaner
taped everything off I didn't want painted.
Put foam ear plugs in each end of barrel
Wiped down everything multiple times with alcohol.
Sprayed a base coat of Khaki color. The trick is to go very slow and not over-do it. Let the paint build up very slowly an don't get it too thick.
After the base coat was dry, I used resurrection fern I have growing here at the house for the pattern. Just grab a leaf, and spray around it. Used the OD green, brown, and black.
After all the pieces were sprayed, I let them all dry for a while, then started spraying with multiple layers of clear/flat acrylic. I probably put 12 coats on and hung all the pieces by mono fishing line in the driveway where it was like 140 degrees and bake all day long.

Now the finish is really solid that it has cured for a couple days. This is gonna be a truck gun so if it gets chipped no big deal

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:47 pm

....And cut me off on the beers a bit earlier

DONY1

Post by DONY1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Wow! That came out great! You need to break it in this weekend. :toast

kemster99
Eagle Scout

Post by kemster99 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:30 pm

nice looking rifle. good job. :clap :tequila
#### Who's your daddy----Hunt Team####

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:01 pm

Looks great, I've been thinking about buying one of these. Don't you have one Kemster? I've heard such mixed reviews about those single shots.
Dream Team
You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country of out the boy.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:57 pm

That turned out awesome!!! I am impressed chief. That my friends is a great example of a project gun.... Give it some personality...

My buddy the Supreme Nacho is licking his lips it looks so good, I'm sure of it!!!!!

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:01 pm

that looks great allan.

Return to “THE ARMORY”