Help needed to clean Copper Foling on my rifle...

Discuss firearms and other weapons you have, you want, you've seen or you have other interest in.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Help needed to clean Copper Foling on my rifle...

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:20 pm

Hey guys, I just checked my rifle barrel from the tip and I noticed the Copper Foling.

I went to Walmart and bought a Remington 40-X Bore cleaner and cleaned the majority of the copper foling inside of my barrel.

The problem is, I can't clean the parts where twisting looking lines (Sorry for my description but the part that causes the bullet to spin)

What can I do to clean this part of the barrel? I tried brush it out with bronze bore brush and it just not working...

Oh and Do I need to expect to get Copper foling everytime I go to the range or hunting? Or is there any products to prevent this from happening? Or something that I need to do?

Thank you guys.
Last edited by CWFAsian1129 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Help needed to clean Copper Foling on my rifle...

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:23 pm

Brass brush
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:34 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Brass brush
I already tried that with Copper Solvent.

It cleaned majority of em on the wall inside of the barrel but I am saying the part where the twisting lines are that cause a bullet to spin around.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:12 pm

Those "twisting lines" are called "rifling" for future reference.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:16 pm

GoodOyster wrote:Those "twisting lines" are called "rifling" for future reference.
Thank you sir. I won't forget that haha

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:56 pm

some of those copper solvents can be very caustic if left in for too long and damage the bbl ( follow the directions). you might have a rough inside of the bbl that picks up copper faster than a smooth one. if you shoot copper jacketed bullets your gonna get copper fouling. the best way to get rid of it completely is with electrolysis by a smith for about 35$ or you could buy a kit for around 100$
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

pandaxmx
Second Class Scout

Post by pandaxmx » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:54 pm

try "Auto Break cleaner" , in the srpay can ,,, you will probably need to spray it a couple of thime then use the brush and spray it again, when you finally get it all out be sure to oil the barrel so it won't rust
Gun Laws are only for folks who Obey the Law..Criminals don't give a HOOT

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:32 am

If you use brake cleaner, make sure you get the non-chlorinated

I guess I have been fortunate. I shoot good ammo. Use a brass brush, a patch with a dab of solvent, a couple dry patches, and I am good to go. All my guns are like mirrors inside.
And I never clean the inside of my barrel during hunting season(other than an occasional dry patch). Almost all guns shoot differently on an ultra clean bore, than a fouled barrel

I have noticed that if I shoot cheap ammo like Core Loks it takes a lot of elbow grease to get them clean.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:43 am

nacho grande wrote:some of those copper solvents can be very caustic if left in for too long and damage the bbl ( follow the directions). you might have a rough inside of the bbl that picks up copper faster than a smooth one. if you shoot copper jacketed bullets your gonna get copper fouling. the best way to get rid of it completely is with electrolysis by a smith for about 35$ or you could buy a kit for around 100$
Nacho is right on. Electrolysis is the best way for cleaning the rifling and barrrel of copper. Secondly, it doesn't effect the rifling like a hard brass brush will over time, ie. no barrel damage. The gun will shoot differently after electrolysis and you will probably want to go to the range and make sure you still have it zeroed and sighted in.

My two cents...

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:22 pm

Thank you guys for the infos and help.

I didnt know Remington Core-Lokt is a part of cheap ammo haha...

So what kind of ammunition do you recommend? Federal?

Thank you very much

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:41 pm

just about all modern ammo has a copper jacket, so if your bbl has a tendency to pick up copper, it'll probably happen with all ammo. try taking it to a smith with a bore scope and have them take a look after you clean out as much copper as possible to rule out any scratches, tool marks or rough spots. if so you can pay to have it smoothed/polished or do it yourself. it may just be ineffective solvents and/or cleaning practices. I would strongly recommend getting a cleaning rod bore guide (app 20$) that will keep harsh chemicals meant for the inside of the bbl from spilling all into the action and trigger assemblies.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

swampboy
scout

Post by swampboy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:51 pm

Try JB non imbedding bore cleaning compound made and sold by brownells, comes with detailed instuctions. Works when nothing will. It will not damage rifle bore. Been useing it for years, after useing bore cleaner i follow up with JB bore bright finishing compound. Repeted use will polish bore to mirror finish to minimize copper fouling.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Yeah
I was having a time getting my 25-06 dialed in, and ran out of Barnes bullets, and shot core-loks. It took me forever to get it cleaned from the crap they left in the barrel. It was absolutely disgusting. And if you leave them in a stock shell holder and they get damp, they will turn green from corrosion.

I shoot Barnes TSX solid copper bullets in every rifle I own, and Hornady Leverevolutions in my 30-30 (fixin to switch to the GMX bullets in it) and have no problems cleaning them to a mirror shine with little effort. I am convinced that cheap ammo does more harm to barrels than it does any good

Papa_J
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by Papa_J » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:14 pm

I noticed the nice "green" tint some of mine are getting. Although it's mostly on the shells that I have loaded into the gun at one time or other. The ones I have only touched to move to the aftermarket plastic cases haven't shown any signs of tarnishing. I'm guessing I should be able to use a buffing cloth and some jewelry cleaner to remove the tarnish as long as I pay attention to the amount of cleaner.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:35 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Yeah
I was having a time getting my 25-06 dialed in, and ran out of Barnes bullets, and shot core-loks. It took me forever to get it cleaned from the crap they left in the barrel. It was absolutely disgusting. And if you leave them in a stock shell holder and they get damp, they will turn green from corrosion.

I shoot Barnes TSX solid copper bullets in every rifle I own, and Hornady Leverevolutions in my 30-30 (fixin to switch to the GMX bullets in it) and have no problems cleaning them to a mirror shine with little effort. I am convinced that cheap ammo does more harm to barrels than it does any good
Are you talking about the new Hornady Mono-flex bullet I have been reading about. I just picked up a 30 30 and have been looking into this ammo? I hope to send a box or two down range shortly.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Return to “THE ARMORY”