Fishing hand made jigs

Discuss all your freshwater lures and Gear you use here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

fishindad
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Fishing hand made jigs

Post by fishindad » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:49 pm

Decided to see how well the 1/32 and 1/64 jigs did this eve. Other than on a beetle spin, I have never used these literally just on a line. There is a spot in my area that has a drain and after the rain this eve, I went out there. I forgot the ones that I had made BUT, I had the ones a friend had made.... It was showtime.

These jigs have to be worked a little faster than worms but, it did not take much. It was a good eve. I caught bass, bream and even carp. These things certainly catch fish! Now that I have the overall technique down... its game time. I cant wait to start making some of my own.

Fishindad

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Fishing hand made jigs

Post by treefarmer » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:56 pm

Fishindad,

Many years ago, I worked with an Air Force retiree that loved to fish as much as anyone I have ever known.

We found a bunch of speckled perch in a canal and they were big ones. They were in swift water, down stream of a flood control structure that had a bunch of big rocks dumped on each side and across the bottom of the canal to prevent erosion. We could only get the specks to take small jigs using ultra-light spinning rods with 4# line.. I think we had a few no-alabi brand jigs, some beetle spins, caught some big speckled perch and lost all of our lures in the rocks.

I told my old buddy that it was kinda' costly fishin' in the rocks, back then we were makin' about $4 per hour. He told me that we could make our own jigs the next day at the shop. Turned out to be the cheapest and most simple thing I had ever seen. He simply took a small gold hook and a pair of needle nose pliers and bent about 3/8" past the eye, 90 degrees towards the point of the hook. He then clamped a split shot over the angle point he had made in the hook's shank. Then he built a body of sewing thread and added some fuzzy feathers under the wraps of sewing thread, then coated it with clear finger nail polish. Some of the feathers he called maribu? The most productive ones were made with peacock feathers that we had picked up around a lake in Winter Park. I think he called it a peacok hurl(sp?).

We caught everything that would hit a beetle spin on the ol' fellers' home made jigs on our 4# lines.

All that was back in '72 and '73, I had almost forgotten about the home made jigs. Treefarmer

fishindad
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Fishing hand made jigs

Post by fishindad » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:04 pm

Treefarmer,

Thats a cool story. I picked up some jig molds when I started casting my own bullets. I am having ALOT of fun catching stuff on what I have made. What you mention is a great way to do that too!
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Return to “FRESHWATER BAIT AND TACKEL FORUM”