Catawba/catalpa worms

Discuss all your freshwater lures and Gear you use here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

treefarmer
Ordeal

Catawba/catalpa worms

Post by treefarmer » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:35 am

We always called them Catawba, but some folks use catalpa as the spelling, either way they are great to fish with. My question is how is the best way to keep catawbas for an extended period? :dtect Hear folks saying cornmeal in the fridge, some in the freezer, thawed they come back to life? What is your experience with these worms? We were always busy doing other things, so when we saw them on the trees we might take time to pick a few and fish right then and not consider saving them for a later time.
Treefarmer

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Catawba/catalpa worms

Post by treefarmer » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:36 am

Here's a handful of the rascals!
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:44 pm

treefarmer wrote:so when we saw them on the trees we might take time to pick a few and fish right then and not consider saving them for a later time. Treefarmer
Yep, that's what we used to do. They're great fish bait. I wouldn't be sure how to keep them though. Never heard of the freezing or corn meal in the fridge things but you could give it a try. I say just go fishin' and let'em keep on the tree! :sailor

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Bossman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:19 pm

What kind of trees do you find them on?
Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:19 pm

Not cuttin' you short there, Bossman, but just run a search on either Catalpa or Catawba tree. It will give you all the scoop on the trees. They are quite common here in Washington County. The worms will defoliate the trees after they hatch as part of their life cycle, that is when they are gathered for fish bait. There are commercial Catawba worm growers that are advertising their product on the www. I've caught 4 or 5 fish with the same worm, they are very tough.
Treefarmer

Return to “FRESHWATER BAIT AND TACKEL FORUM”