10-31-10 Hillsborough River

Discuss all your freshwater lures and Gear you use here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

vonnick52
Star Scout

10-31-10 Hillsborough River

Post by vonnick52 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:56 am

Got a wild hair yesterday and decided to go set a few limb lines and do some fishing at a local hole that I haven't done any good at since summer started. Picked up some chicken livers, a pack of panty hose and a six pack of Budweiser at Publix (that always attracts funny looks from the cashier). Went to my spot and got a catfish bait out and started bobber fishing for bluegill. Caught 2-3 small ones when a nice channel cat grabs my bait and makes a run. I got him hooked up and fought him for 30 seconds-1 minute but he broke off the hook at the weedline. I got a few good looks at him and I bet he woulda went 3-5 lbs.

Set 3-4 limblines and put the bluegill rod down cause I got tired of catching the little ones. Halfway through my beer a nice softshell turtle got hooked up on one of my limb lines. Got him up on the bank and removed his head. :death

Changed spots, set another limb line, and the gator that I've been watching grow for the last two years came for a visit. He isn't afraid of people at all. I bet he goes 8-8.5 ft. He likes to sit about ten yards off the bank and watch me fish. He and his buddy tried to eat my dog earlier this summer....he's awful lucky there are only 2 county tags for Hillsborough.

As it gets dark, I got a hit on my pantyhose-wrapped chicken liver on a bobber, reel it in, and remembering how I lost my last catfish, I turn my headlamp towards Mr. Gator and wade into the water a few feet. He starts coming towards me and as I put my hands on the fish I feel the hard, plate-like scales and realize its a stupid gar. Fish freaked out and broke the line anyways and I got the hell outta the water quick, fast, and in a hurry. The fish thrashing about scared the gator a bit and he backed up to about 15 yards away. The gar was a good sized one.

Off to check/pull my lines.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Re: 10-31-10 Hillsborough River

Post by vonnick52 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:47 am

All of my hooks were straightened overnight. Looks like I need to man-up my gear a bit and try again. Didn't figure on having that big of fish to contend with.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:35 am

Turtles and gar will straighten hooks out, too. I haven't targeted catfish in so long I don't remember how to do it. I've got to get my numbers on my jon boat and set up the trailer I bought for it, and start hitting the water on weekends I can't get out for hunting. I want to be ready when it gets cooler to hit a few spots for sheepshead, and maybe go over to Big O or Kissimmee and catch some specks.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:44 am

Yeah, I think I'm going to do what I used to do up north and use 1/4 of a bike inner tube or a bungee cord at the stump to allow stretch and beef up my hooks a bit.

bodysnatcher
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by bodysnatcher » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:15 am

That's some good eating.
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

mick
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by mick » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:58 pm

:toast

Return to “FRESHWATER BAIT AND TACKEL FORUM”