hunting dogs

A place to sell trade look to buy Hunting Dogs, Tracking Systems, Dog Boxes or anything to do with dog hunting!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

doghunter
Star Scout

Re: hunting dogs

Post by doghunter » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:57 am

Skunk Ape wrote:
doghunter wrote:
Skunk Ape wrote:
vonnick52 wrote:
doghunter wrote: It's going to be hard to find a dog to hunt both hog and deer because most will cull what they deem "trashing". Hence, a hogger will cull a potential hog dog that runs deer and vice versa.
Agreed. Though, SkunkApe has a couple plotts that'll run both I think.
Gotta disagree there. For years and years we ran hogs and deer with the same dogs. I will admit thast hogs were a little more scarce than they are now,but usually we had strike dogs that favored one or the other and the majority of pack dogs would run whatever they'd find. I remember days when we'd have 3 or 4 hogs on the dogboxes and a buck,all in the same dfay. We use to buy these foxhounds right out of the fox pens and them crazy sob's would run the hair off of anything. Sometime they'd trash on a yote but they put plenty of buck deer across the road along with hogs as well. It all depends on how you hunt them and what you'll let them get away with.I have one left that will still smoke a deer but rarely does because we generally target hogs.
They use to have alot of dogs that would do both around here but presently there's not many doggers I know of that will track and jump both. They use to call them "meat dogs" lol. Once they ran all the deer tracks they had that morning they turned and went to putting on the hog tracks.
The guys that got me started dog hunting about 25 yrs ago had a big family,10 kids and they meat hunted.They would drive from Pinellas Park up to Apilachicola or Aucilla to run dogs,they brought meat home. They didn't care if it was a hog or deer as long as they cold fry it up.That started back in the late 50's early 60's. Today there's two of them left that I hunt with,we have a small crew now so we mainly concentrate on hogs.After driving 5 or 6 hrs to hunt nobody was to choosy about a track back then. I guess that mentality kinda stuck thru the years. I always had fun no matter what we ran,a good boar hog puts on a good show as a buck sometimes.
My dad grew up running dogs with my great uncle in south Ga (around Echols Co). They ran walkers and walker crosses on deer and when my family moved here (around 74), he started running his dogs during training season with some local boys from high school. He told me they put on a track the first morning of training season and the dogs jumped. The local boys whipped out their guns and asked him why he didn't bring his. One guy (a buddy of mine's dad) said "it's ok, I got a shotgun you can borrow, we boys are poor and we can't feed hunting dogs year around without putting meat on the table so when they rub off their velvet we start killing them". My dad never ran with them again during training season LOL
Team 'Tree Top Assassins'

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:03 pm

doghunter wrote:
Skunk Ape wrote:
doghunter wrote:
Skunk Ape wrote:
vonnick52 wrote:
doghunter wrote: It's going to be hard to find a dog to hunt both hog and deer because most will cull what they deem "trashing". Hence, a hogger will cull a potential hog dog that runs deer and vice versa.
Agreed. Though, SkunkApe has a couple plotts that'll run both I think.
Gotta disagree there. For years and years we ran hogs and deer with the same dogs. I will admit thast hogs were a little more scarce than they are now,but usually we had strike dogs that favored one or the other and the majority of pack dogs would run whatever they'd find. I remember days when we'd have 3 or 4 hogs on the dogboxes and a buck,all in the same dfay. We use to buy these foxhounds right out of the fox pens and them crazy sob's would run the hair off of anything. Sometime they'd trash on a yote but they put plenty of buck deer across the road along with hogs as well. It all depends on how you hunt them and what you'll let them get away with.I have one left that will still smoke a deer but rarely does because we generally target hogs.
They use to have alot of dogs that would do both around here but presently there's not many doggers I know of that will track and jump both. They use to call them "meat dogs" lol. Once they ran all the deer tracks they had that morning they turned and went to putting on the hog tracks.
The guys that got me started dog hunting about 25 yrs ago had a big family,10 kids and they meat hunted.They would drive from Pinellas Park up to Apilachicola or Aucilla to run dogs,they brought meat home. They didn't care if it was a hog or deer as long as they cold fry it up.That started back in the late 50's early 60's. Today there's two of them left that I hunt with,we have a small crew now so we mainly concentrate on hogs.After driving 5 or 6 hrs to hunt nobody was to choosy about a track back then. I guess that mentality kinda stuck thru the years. I always had fun no matter what we ran,a good boar hog puts on a good show as a buck sometimes.
My dad grew up running dogs with my great uncle in south Ga (around Echols Co). They ran walkers and walker crosses on deer and when my family moved here (around 74), he started running his dogs during training season with some local boys from high school. He told me they put on a track the first morning of training season and the dogs jumped. The local boys whipped out their guns and asked him why he didn't bring his. One guy (a buddy of mine's dad) said "it's ok, I got a shotgun you can borrow, we boys are poor and we can't feed hunting dogs year around without putting meat on the table so when they rub off their velvet we start killing them". My dad never ran with them again during training season LOL
That never happened with any of the guys I hunted with. I can't say a doe never got put in a cooler before my time but never when I hunted with them with dogs. Now in the old Stienhatchee WMA,the locals pounded them. I seen them shoot them in front of our dogs and have them in their trucks.That was about the time we quit hunting wma's and started hunting clubs. I think it was 1990 when I first joined a club. I moved away in 93 and they all joined LAfayette,I got in there in 97 and 98,now I hunt a 30,000 acre portion of what's left of it. I think we just got tired of running 20 does a day and no shooter bucks.

jesse
scout

Post by jesse » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:42 pm

i have a beagle walker deer dog that will run a hog by himself . he will not catch it just bay it , he has been cut before. you can slip in and kill pretty easily. just look where he is looking. my pack of walkers ran one about 100 lbs and it ran like a deer.and got out of dodge with all the noise. so i am no expert but if i wanted to take a smaller eating hog i would not put out so many dogs. if one dog gets on something bad usally he won't try to catch him go put a pack of deer dogs on that bad boy and somebody is going to the vet. just my experience

Dan Coffey
scout

Post by Dan Coffey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:16 pm

We hunt all season winding a Redbone off the front of the wheel buggy. I do not know why anyone would say that is not the way to hunt down here. It is the best way when crashing the palmettos on a buggy.

R I C H
scout

Post by R I C H » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:35 pm

just got a redbone pup(ready in 5 weeks) and i agree with dan , hunting a good dog on the front deck of a buggy is the way to go.

doghunter
Star Scout

Post by doghunter » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:31 pm

You wouldn't get a buggy 5ft off the trail in north Fl except maybe in Apalach NF. Alot of our woods here are too thick to walk in, much less drive a buggy. It does seem quite interesting though.
Team 'Tree Top Assassins'

Return to “DOGS & BOXES BUY/SELL”