hunting dogs

A place to sell trade look to buy Hunting Dogs, Tracking Systems, Dog Boxes or anything to do with dog hunting!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

R I C H
scout

hunting dogs

Post by R I C H » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:57 pm

looking for some hunting dogs -puppys,need to wind-trail deer and hogs, what does everyone run(need some ideas)

doghunter
Star Scout

Re: hunting dogs

Post by doghunter » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:54 am

what do you mean wind-trail? I run walkers and beagle/walker crosses for deer.
Team 'Tree Top Assassins'

R I C H
scout

Post by R I C H » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:21 pm

that it will wind a deer or hog , trial one after shot. i am looking into a plott/redbone cross,realy like full blood redbone(cant find the around south florida

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:35 pm

Where do you plan on hunting them? If you wanna run hounds, you're going to need a big lease, club, or access to a bunch of land. Hound hunters, from what I've experienced (could be wrong), tend to be track hunters and don't do much winding with their dogs, they put the dog on a track they like and let them trail it up, maybe miles away. I haven't seen many guys rigging their hounds or running them in front of a truck/atv like I am used to.

Almost everyone I hunt with runs cur dogs, mostly black mouths, florida curs, or catahoulas, but we are all hog hunters and a dog that runs deer is a cull or gets some electrotherapy. Most of us don't have access to large, contiguous pieces of land to hunt, so the less rangey dogs work out better for us. We also like the grittiness that many curs bring to the fight and the fact that most are close-mouthed until they got the hog stopped, cause it seems to make for shorter races and higher jump/catch ratios. This is not to say that hounds aren't gritty, nor that you won't catch hogs with them. Guess it depends on how much you like listening to dogs bark. :clown

A buddy of mine just had a litter hit the ground from two good dogs. Think he is getting $200 for 'em if you are interested.

doghunter
Star Scout

Post by doghunter » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:31 pm

R I C H wrote:that it will wind a deer or hog , trial one after shot. i am looking into a plott/redbone cross,realy like full blood redbone(cant find the around south florida
Like a rig dog for hog or bear, huh? Good luck finding one for deer. Vonnick described how we hunt with hounds for deer.

R I C H
scout

Post by R I C H » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:08 pm

thanks for all the advise, just need something like a rig dog for winding game on the buggy. i hunt on 60,000 acres of a W.M.A (corbett) and there is hog and deer. killed 2 boars 250,160# and 2 sow 165,120# in 2010,jumped 28 deer(no bucks). need to find a cheap lease in central florida for deer it is hard to find and/or kill a buck in palm beach, love the hogs lots of fun.

doghunter
Star Scout

Post by doghunter » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:52 pm

R I C H wrote:thanks for all the advise, just need something like a rig dog for winding game on the buggy. i hunt on 60,000 acres of a W.M.A (corbett) and there is hog and deer. killed 2 boars 250,160# and 2 sow 165,120# in 2010,jumped 28 deer(no bucks). need to find a cheap lease in central florida for deer it is hard to find and/or kill a buck in palm beach, love the hogs lots of fun.
It's going to be hard to find a dog to hunt both hog and deer because most will cull what they deem "trashing". Hence, a hogger will cull a potential hog dog that runs deer and vice versa.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:20 pm

doghunter wrote: It's going to be hard to find a dog to hunt both hog and deer because most will cull what they deem "trashing". Hence, a hogger will cull a potential hog dog that runs deer and vice versa.
Agreed. Though, SkunkApe has a couple plotts that'll run both I think.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:41 pm

R I C H wrote:.. need to find a cheap lease in central florida for deer...
Two phrases that don't go together - "cheap lease" and "central Florida". Won't say it's impossible, but if you find one you best play the lotto because you'll be one lucky SOB!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:11 pm

vonnick52 wrote:
doghunter wrote: It's going to be hard to find a dog to hunt both hog and deer because most will cull what they deem "trashing". Hence, a hogger will cull a potential hog dog that runs deer and vice versa.
Gotta disagree there. For years and years we ran hogs and deer with the same dogs. I will admit thast hogs were a little more scarce than they are now,but usually we had strike dogs that favored one or the other and the majority of pack dogs would run whatever they'd find. I remember days when we'd have 3 or 4 hogs on the dogboxes and a buck,all in the same dfay. We use to buy these foxhounds right out of the fox pens and them crazy sob's would run the hair off of anything. Sometime they'd trash on a yote but they put plenty of buck deer across the road along with hogs as well. It all depends on how you hunt them and what you'll let them get away with.I have one left that will still smoke a deer but rarely does because we generally target hogs.

doghunter
Star Scout

Post by doghunter » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:03 pm

Skunk Ape wrote:
vonnick52 wrote:
Gotta disagree there. For years and years we ran hogs and deer with the same dogs. I will admit thast hogs were a little more scarce than they are now,but usually we had strike dogs that favored one or the other and the majority of pack dogs would run whatever they'd find. I remember days when we'd have 3 or 4 hogs on the dogboxes and a buck,all in the same dfay. We use to buy these foxhounds right out of the fox pens and them crazy sob's would run the hair off of anything. Sometime they'd trash on a yote but they put plenty of buck deer across the road along with hogs as well. It all depends on how you hunt them and what you'll let them get away with.I have one left that will still smoke a deer but rarely does because we generally target hogs.
They use to have alot of dogs that would do both around here but presently there's not many doggers I know of that will track and jump both. They use to call them "meat dogs" lol. Once they ran all the deer tracks they had that morning they turned and went to putting on the hog tracks.

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:09 am

doghunter wrote:
Skunk Ape wrote:
vonnick52 wrote:
They use to have alot of dogs that would do both around here but presently there's not many doggers I know of that will track and jump both. They use to call them "meat dogs" lol. Once they ran all the deer tracks they had that morning they turned and went to putting on the hog tracks.
The guys that got me started dog hunting about 25 yrs ago had a big family,10 kids and they meat hunted.They would drive from Pinellas Park up to Apilachicola or Aucilla to run dogs,they brought meat home. They didn't care if it was a hog or deer as long as they cold fry it up.That started back in the late 50's early 60's. Today there's two of them left that I hunt with,we have a small crew now so we mainly concentrate on hogs.After driving 5 or 6 hrs to hunt nobody was to choosy about a track back then. I guess that mentality kinda stuck thru the years. I always had fun no matter what we ran,a good boar hog puts on a good show as a buck sometimes.

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:13 am

BTW,they use to run Cherry Island and Snipe Island with dogs way back before it was astill hunt place. BAck then there were only two crews runnig it.

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:31 am

R I C H wrote:thanks for all the advise, just need something like a rig dog for winding game on the buggy. i hunt on 60,000 acres of a W.M.A (corbett) and there is hog and deer. killed 2 boars 250,160# and 2 sow 165,120# in 2010,jumped 28 deer(no bucks). need to find a cheap lease in central florida for deer it is hard to find and/or kill a buck in palm beach, love the hogs lots of fun.
Do you dog hunt now or are you just wanting to start doing it?Best bet is hook up with some boys for a few yrs and learn the ropes a little. Make sure that's what you really want,it can be heartbreaking at times.

R I C H
scout

Post by R I C H » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:00 am

i have been hunting for 12 years (mostly on wma ) and have had a buggy for the last 5 years and everyone as 2 or 3 good wind-trailing dogs. i would like to start getting some good dogs for hunting hogs mostly. i have never caught a hog,always shot from the buggy(brown its down)

Return to “DOGS & BOXES BUY/SELL”