Fluffing up last years food plot

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

treefarmer
Ordeal

Fluffing up last years food plot

Post by treefarmer » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Here in the Panhandle we've had more than our share of rain this summer. It has been so wet in our woods that I was unable to mow the Durana clover in order to keep the grass and weeds at bay with out making ruts in the patch. Earlier in the year I was able to keep the semi-circle patch pretty clean so it would be ready to plant when the time was right. All that went out the window back in August as we had standing water in the long narrow patch.
DSCN4846r.jpg
The last couple of weeks we were able to disk this patch again and finally got it to the point of being able to put some seed in the ground yesterday.
001r.jpg
006r.jpg
009r.jpg
011r.jpg
Hope to be able to keep a running report on this little patch and the adjacent Durana clover patch as the season progresses.
We gotten some deer on camera that are promising, as everyone knows, there is now way to guarantee they will stay on our 80 acres.
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Fluffing up last years food plot

Post by treefarmer » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:00 pm

Here are a few of our visitors that come by the feeder which is south of the Durana clover which is south of the freshly planted Rye which is south of the shooting house.
Notice all are on different days.
Treefarmer
MFDC5513r.jpg
MFDC5684r.jpg
MFDC5727.JPG
MFDC5770r.jpg
MFDC5776r.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:15 pm

Looking good
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Bossman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:45 pm

Oh boy treefarmer them grandboys should have a blast this year.
Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:40 pm

As everybody in Florida probably knows, Hurricane Michael is coming ashore some time tomorrow. We are about 40 miles inland from the Gulf so we will get a lot of this storm. I was a little concerned that the Rye planted last Friday afternoon might rot before it germinated. Were we ever surprised this afternoon! We rode down to the woods and it looks like every seed had germinated. Usually it takes at least a week for cereal grains to sprout but we have had such hot weather germination was perfect. (Usually the soil temperature is a bit lower this time of the year.) Now we hope it doesn't drown.
009r.jpg
There are hundreds of acres of plowed up peanuts that don't need this storm as well as lots of cotton. I really feel for these boys as this weather will be devastating. We love boiled peanuts and usually put a bunch in the freezer each year. We buy a 30# bag and boil them in salt water, maybe 7 or 8 pounds at a time. I got to thinking that the salt water might not be too good for the septic tank so I decided take the salt water to the woods and pour it over an old mineral site that we started earlier, can't hurt anything and it might help a bit. The site is where 2 trails intersect in the deep woods. We moved the grandsons' shooting house near this spot early in the summer. There is a lot of traffic at this spot.
001r.jpg
MFDC3296r.jpg
Here's one of our visitors that needs to move on to the "happy hunting ground":
MFDC3244r.jpg
Maybe we'll have power back in few days after Michael comes by and we can continue fluffing up last years food plot.
Treefarmer

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:39 pm

My last post concerning the last years food plot was on 10-09-'18 the day before Michael came ashore. My wife and I have been through lots of hurricanes as children and several in the 50+ years we've been married but never had we experienced a storm quite like this! First I am thankfufl to the Lord for the protection he afforded us, our house was not damaged, we still have a big Live Oak and a big old growth Long Leaf Pine literally inches from our house, still standing tall while all around us trees were blown to the ground. We have oaks, Cedars/Junipers, Pines and everything else on the ground but not those adjacent to the house. Thank you, Lord! Our "rough woods", the natural growth woods to the west of our house, 20 acres, is like a jumble d up bowl of spaghetti. Pine and oaks wrapped with large grape vines and green briars so twisted and tangled it is impossible to move through it without great effort. It took me about an hour to find the grandsons' shooting house and the camera that was watching the two trails near the stand. The house is fine, you just can't get to it and the camera was fine, had over 6000 pictures of some leaves after the storm passed. Each time the breeze would blow it would snap a 3 shot picture.
A few days before the storm hit I had fertilized the Durana Clover after mowing it. The game camera got my picture as I spread the fertilizer along the clover between the pines:
MFDC5897r.jpg
Here was the last visitor that the camera recorded:
MFDC5933r.jpg
This is what the Wren's Abruzzi Rye looked like a few days after Michael, compare it :to the earlier picture:
001r.jpg
This is a shot looking east along the Durana Clover patch now covered with downed pines:
005r.jpg
Here is the old faithful pickle barrel corn feeder still standing among the downed timber:
010r.jpg
Not to bore y'all but I'll share a few more storm pictures in a little while.
Treefarmer

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:46 pm

We have had to make a few changes in our hunting plans, at least for the grandsons' hunting at Thanksgiving. Our place is unbelievably wet! The boys shooting house is inaccessible because of downed timber, the big food plot and Durana Clover is questionable because of standing water and downed timber. I've maintained a membership in a lease that is mostly high sandy hilly land. Well, high sand and lots of rain at least provide a possibility of hunting a spot that is not totally destroyed. The timber on my portion of the lease is 12-15 years old and wasn't completely destroyed by the hurricane as was some of the tracts with older more mature trees.
I did a little recon and found about a dozen pines were down in the two trail road leading to my stand. We sawed the trees into three pieces and came back in the week with the tractor and pushed everything out of the way.
When we got to the stand site, we found my shooting house that had been attached to a big pine for close to 20 years was on the ground. The wind had simply pushed it from the platform, all the nails are still in the hurricane clips that held it to the platform and ladder. Fortunately we had allowed a professor from the Baptist College of Florida to hunt our part of the lease and he left a stand in place from several seasons ago. It is an old utility trailer with roof and a window. I killed a doe while sitting in it last season, the only time I hunted the lease last year. Looks like we'll spend more time over there on the hill than here on the farm at least during the 1st part of the season. Hopefully the rain will let up and we'll be able to get back to something more normal. There was 8.7" of rain during the hurricane, likely more as a lot of it was blowing side ways. We had a week of dry and then it started raining and I noticed so far in November we have already had 8.4". Makes you glad for a front axle on the pickup truck and the tractor!
I have killed a bunch of deer around this old clay pit over the years and hope it will still pay off this season.
Here are some pictures of the cleanup, our old stand and the trailer stand. Miss Joy wouldn't let me go by myself for some reason when I was using the saw. The 2nd picture shows the wind shredded curtain, an old cloth shower curtain.
005r.jpg
009r.jpg
011r.jpg
017r.jpg
022r.jpg
Hunting was always good on this property but when it was just as good 100 yards from the back door, why drive 3 miles to the lease?
Treefarmer

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:01 am

The "trailer stand" yielded up a little 5 point, 1st deer for a grandson on Thanksgiving (pics in another post). I put a camera close to the big gravity feeder a few days before Thanksgiving and the date strip on the camera is all out of whack, this one went through the hurricane but it did get a bunch of pictures of the 1st buck that wouldn't give the grandson a decent shot. This is an old clay pit that I've been hunting for over 20 years.
MFDC9443r.jpg
MFDC0103r.jpg
MFDC4569r.jpg
MFDC0022r.jpg
Things may get better at the home place but for now we'll be hunting back on the lease.
Treefarmer

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:59 pm

Some good pics there
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”