Fall/winter garden 2012-13 thread

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Fall/winter garden 2012-13 thread

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:42 am

Got the garden all primed and ready. A couple weeks ago I added 4 barrels of this summers compost and worked it in several times. I get horse crap from my buddy, plus all my chicken crap and shavings, yard trimmings and kitchen scraps
Yesterday I planted it. I enjoy the fall garden much more than a spring/summer. I only get filtered sun, so the legumes grow much better under those conditions.
I planted collards, mustard, turnips, kale, swiss chard, beets, broccoli, and purple cabbage.
Also whats left of my pepper plants from the summer. Crappy grow season for some reason for them

Once the plants get up and growing, I will thin accordingly

I also put bird nettting around the garden(hard to see in the pic) as my yard birds are free ranging pretty much all day now

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

bodysnatcher

Re: Fall/winter garden 2012-13 thread

Post by bodysnatcher » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:08 am

Looks good Allen. I'll try to get some picks of mine today. I've been trying to get things in the last 3 weeks. It's been slow going with so much on my plate lately.
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:39 am

Looks good!
I like animals, they are tasty!

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:44 am

Question? Have you used horse manure before? I've been told not too because a horse will not digest the seeds from the hay/grass they eat. The result is you end up with a lot of weeds in your garden.
Always been told to use cow manure because they digest everything with their multiple stomachs.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:59 pm

Kortsman wrote:Question? Have you used horse manure before? I've been told not too because a horse will not digest the seeds from the hay/grass they eat. The result is you end up with a lot of weeds in your garden.
Always been told to use cow manure because they digest everything with their multiple stomachs.
Been using horse crap for over two years with little issue. Sure you get some weed seeds, but not a whole lot. The idea is to let the manure go thru a "composting" process. In the first few days after I pick it up, it gets so hot I honestly think you could put a fry pan on the pile and cook an egg
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:53 pm

Grapefruit tree and orange tree both LOADED again this fall!!!
Bring on the vodka

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”