2013 Food Plots

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

2013 Food Plots

Post by Cr0ck1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:46 pm

When i put that down i didnt have a deer on the plot for 3 months!

Sent From Cr0ck1' IPhone most likely from the woods.

sam03
Ordeal

Re: 2013 Food Plots

Post by sam03 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:21 am

Iluv2hunt i used a broadcast spreader and did the whole plot. I figured the ground could use it and the seedlings could use a break from the deer. Do you know if it will stop the hogs? They haven't rooted the plot but are working 4-6 rows over pretty hard.
I like animals, they are tasty!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:43 am

I can tell you my friends yard was getting torn up from hogs. He put a bag of it down along the woods line and it stopped them immediately
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:48 pm

Just adding one more "proof" and "praise" about Milorganite, it totaly stopped the deer from destroying our pea patch last year. Iluv2hunt suggested using it on some iron&clay peas in a food plot, so we took one of the spreaders with the shoulder strap and went around the perimeter of the pea patch and it really worked, the year before we had lost at least 1/3 of the peas to Bambi and his tribe. Treefarmer

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Sounds good Thanks for the help!

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:26 am

The clover and winter peas are coming up!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:37 pm

Good deal man. My seed is probably washed in the ditches by now. I don't think it has quit raining since I left yesterday afternoon
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:51 am

My kingcutter works well I just add a couple dumbell wiegts...I start with concrete blocks bat they were kinda pain in azz. I also baught a DR tow behind bush hog and can't wait to try.
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:14 am

With all this rain I'm going to have to put more milorganite out.

Hoss74
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Hoss74 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:33 pm

Well I may have lots of questions regarding food plots, but before I ask, let me see if I even should bother.

I am purchasing 5 acres of property that is probably 70% cleared pasture, however the back 30% is wooded. The entire property is surrounded by what I would estimate to be an additional 40 acres of woods behind it and to the west , then further behind and surrounding that is about 100 acre of farmland. All of this is just guessing from driving around and Google maps

The area in red is the land soon to be mine.
Sooo would you set a food plot?

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:29 pm

Hoss74,
Along the west line, just south of the 30% wooded part, there appears to be several trees large enough to conceal any type of blind, stand or shooting house. It appears you may have some close neighbors on the east side and west side, so your food plot would need to be for your benefit and not where it would be a temptation to an unethical neighbor. The 40 acres of what appears to be planted pines, north and west of your place, would likely hold some deer and a food plot close to it would probably be a draw for them. Getting to know your adjoining property owners attitudes will be a big help in deciding what to do, you might luck out and find that non of them hunt or you might be like some of us that are surrounded by rogues! Can't tell from the map what type of trees are on your place, but if they are oaks you may already have the makings of a good spot to hunt. Lots of folks have good success fertilizing oaks for increased mast production.
Treefarmer

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:18 am

Looks like your tree line makes sort of a "bow". I would plant a food plot along that area right up next to the tree line. The natural curve/contour of the tree line will conceal it some from your neighbors. Kinda need more details

Hoss74
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Hoss74 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:01 pm

Honestly, I have only been out there once. I took my truck threw the perimeter of the property cause it was cold and rainy and my wife wanted to stay dry. I am going to walk it this weekend maybe. Those trees behind the property are not pine. Mostly a mixture.
If anybody is looking for property in North Central area near live Oak fl, we also saw some acreage out there. I saw lots of BIG tracks with spread toes so must be good sized deer there. Lots of deer feces etc. I would have loved that property, but they wanted 5 thousand more and was twenty miles further from my job, which in my 16mpg truck would be about $300 more a month in gas just to go to work. Much as it was tempting, I could lease a place for that much.

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:14 am

We out Sunday and put more corn out under the shed trap and camera and check to see how the plot was growing. Got some pictures from the camera and took some of the plot growing in. The peas and clover are coming up nicely and so far there aren't many tracks or damage to the plot. My camera is starting to have a shutter speed problem....i only got a couple pictures that weren't half black or all black after dark.

This guy is becoming a regular!

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:54 am

I checked the plot Sunday the deer and turkey are in there but didn't get any pictures. So i moved the camera to a better spot and put some more corn out. I might put some more fertilizer out this weekend to give the plot a break.

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”