Post by sam03 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:47 pm

dam that is nice!! Is that hot wire?
I like animals, they are tasty!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: 2013 Food Plots

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:50 pm

Triple Creek Reaper wrote:.....one of my buddies in the office, 6 weeks old.
Your buddy in the office must be a genius. Has a food plot and an office job at such a young age
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:52 pm

sam03 wrote:dam that is nice!! Is that hot wire?
I don't think so, they have an ongoing cattle operation down there and the fence is to keep the cows out.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:52 pm

It's a grain of some sort....sorghum, millet, etc. Can't really tell from the pic.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:01 pm

Replanted Soybeans in this spot Friday afternoon before the rain came. Checked it sunday and they are starting to germinate. Hopefully i can protect this crop long enough for them to get going.

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:02 pm

Waiting for soil samples to come back before planting for fall. What are you guys planning on planting? I'm thinking abt trying the Foundation Fall Mix, but cant seem to find any local stores with fall/winter seeds....

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:14 pm

Remember this food plot from may? Well these guys do to. The soy beans are full and thick and still growing. I will get some day light pics tomorrow of the plot.
sam03 wrote: From the tree stand.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:30 pm

That is a fine bunch of deer!! Glad they let the beans grow. Did you do anything to protect the soybeans while they were growing?
Treefarmer

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:57 am

sam03 wrote:dam that is nice!! Is that hot wire?
Sam, been there done that I placed a 5 strand hot wire around the middle of one of my plots that wasn't over 2' high thinking Yeah, I got you son of a guns. I had it ground properly and everything, I even tested in myself... Knocked my you know what in the dirt. Those b oches would run through it then eat and root up the plot then run back out.

:taz
Bossman

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:37 am

treefarmer wrote:Did you do anything to protect the soybeans while they were growing?
Treefarmer
A bag of milorganite 3 different times. So far only $60 in the plot and has supplied 3 months of quality food and it doesn't look like its slowing down anytime soon. Much cheaper than corn and way better for them.

We are thinking abt throwing some clover seeds in the beans, do you think they will germinate or are we just wasting seed? Figured when the beans start dying back the clover will be strong enough to handle the pressure.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:23 am

If your beans don't have a lot of weeds or grass in them, you will probably do well broadcasting clover over the standing beans. The clover will probably to better by waiting on the leaf drop of the soybeans. The more sunlight the better it is for the clover up to a point and that point being too much heat till the clover is established. Clover does much better as a cool season planting. If the beans will last, they will provide a great food source till the clover gets established. Experiment a little, keep some notes and we'll all learn something.
Treefarmer

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:07 am

I spent all day Saturday cleaning up my two food plot, trimming all the lower limbs and bushes that where in the way of possible shots. Limed it, disced it, cultipacked it, than seeded it. I used a fall mix that has Wheat, Rye Grain, Winter Peas, Triticale Forage Grain, Clower, Forage Turnips. The sky fell out just as we were finishing the second plot so i didn't get any pictures but i will get out there one evening this week and take some. Hopefully with some milorganite and a feeder the deer will let the plot alone for a couple weeks.

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:03 am

Checked one plot last night. Lots of deer tracks but its raining every day so milorganite isn't going to do much.

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:34 am

Finally made it out yesterday afternoon to check the other plot and i always take a rifle just in case i get a shot at a hog and i always load it right when i get in the woods....but this time i didn't load it just started walking through nasty swampy-ness. Almost made it to the plot when i heard hogs so i frozen pulled my rifle out of the case pulled the bolt back and tried to let it drop quietly. I walked around the corner to figure out which one i was going to take. Lined up on a nice 100lbs boar and click, click, dam bolt hadn't fallen all the way so the firing pin couldn't reach the round....abt that time of the hogs saw me and blow and they all took off. So i dropped the clip ejected the round and reloaded the right way this time..........I walked over and climbed up in the stand and figure i would give them some time maybe i would get lucky and they would come back in. After abt a hour i got down and walked the plot to see how everything was coming up. What the deer and hogs haven't tore up or eaten is growing in well. Something had its way with the exclosure cage... Any ways here are some pictures to give you an idea of what the plot is looking like.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:20 pm

I did this plot Saturday with my walk behind tiller, because I can't get my trailer/ATV down the main road yet. This will also be the last time I do this with the walk behind. That just about whipped my azz. Every time the tines would hit a rock or root it would about snatch my back out of socket. I planted one side of this tram road so I can drive the other side. It's about 300 yards long and about 15' wide. I'm sure I will have fat & sassy turkeys from it

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”