Spring 2013 plots

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Spring 2013 plots

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:15 am

This weekend I put a measuring wheel on our plots. I wanted to know the exact size for the main plantings coming up
They turned pretty small, but it's what we got. I foresee us having to do several plantings if the deer get to hammering them pretty hard. (I planted a small bag of biologic Sunday, which is now probably in the gulf from all the rain up there)

Plot1
6800 sqft

Plot2
4800 sqft

Plot3
3150sqft

Plot4
3640 sqft

Grand total of 18,390 sqft which converts to .4 acres.

I can probably be creative with each plot and gain an additional couple hundred feet at each plot. The cool thing is, plot2 was a food plot at one time. We just did not have any equipment to do anything this past season. After disking the crap out of it a little over a month ago...it is now a beautiful clover field
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

sam03
Ordeal

Re: Food plot size

Post by sam03 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:24 am

Post some pictures!
I like animals, they are tasty!

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:09 pm

yes pics.......
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:52 pm

The good thing about having 3-4 different plots you can experiment on just what works the best and at what time. This way you'll be able to take several plantings into one season and know which one is hit the hardest. We'll be looking forward to seeing the post and how they are growing so we'll know just what to plant.

:saluting
Bossman

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:59 pm

I didn't take any pics this go round. When we do our main planting in another month or so I will take pics all the way thru the growing season. I want to build a couple wire cages to see real growth vs. what the deer are eating
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: Spring 2013 plots

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:06 pm

Well, I got all 4 plots planted yesterday. My partner decided at last minute he was not going to go up. I thought about planting Johnson grass in his plots, but realized I am the one that's gotta work them :pirate
Sucks having to do all this crap by yourself

Plot 1
Before

After

Plot 2

Plot 3

Plot 4

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:10 pm

I did some slip huntin this morning trying to sneak up on a hog. When I got to plot 4, I then declared war on the hogs. They had destroyed the plot. The mix I used in my 2 plots (1 and 4) was a spring mix with soybeans and iron clay peas. I guess they rooted it up eating the peas n beans out of it

There was a herd under my feeder, but I couldn't get to them as the wind swirled and they took off like a herd of elephants
Gonna be looking for a volunteer or two to go back in 2 weeks to help do some work around the house and hang stands. we are gonna have a hog slayin at that time too
:chain

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:41 pm

Sucks to hear that.....that ground is really tilled up now though....lol.....What can you put down that hogs won't tear up before it gets to growing??
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by DONY1 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:17 pm

That sucks the hogs are hitting it that fast. You using that pallet to knock it back down after you throw the seed?

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:44 pm

Yeah a pallet works pretty good for a seed drag. A piece of chain link works the best, but I don't have any.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:19 pm

Was hoping to start another thread on the food plot, but it has been so very wet I've not been able to prepare the ground. It got dry enough to begin to plow and then it rained. Trying to get a half acre broke and disked for a clover patch, then the remainder will be as last season, in corn. The food plot is actually bottom land that doesn't drain too quickly. Got my clover seed from Hancock Seed in Dade City, just waitin' on the sun to dry this mess up a little bit. Also it was 39 degrees Friday morning. Here's a picture of all I could do without sticking the tractor. Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”