2013 Spring garden

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

dadsahuntin
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: 2013 Spring garden

Post by dadsahuntin » Tue May 07, 2013 9:57 am

Yes drop of dish soap and 1 light tbsp of baking soda will stop the mildew and some blights. Used it about 2 weeks ago and it did help stop the mildew. Lots of youtube vids..dont vegetable oil like some do. The oil goes to the top of the water and doesnt go through sprayer. If it is just the lower leafs on the cucs may be no need to worry. Dont water them or squash at night.

BTW I even put a lil garlic in that mix to help with bug control. You could even add a lil hot pepper flakes too.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue May 07, 2013 10:37 am

Ironically my maters are doing exact same thing
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed May 08, 2013 9:51 am

Cool weather has been our issue about the garden. We had a few days in mid-April in the low 40's and then this week, we've had 41, 42 and 51 degrees in the mornings. However the garden is beginning to grow, still a lot to plant but looking forward to squash and some fresh green beans. Here is a picture of our garden 30 days after planting. Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

doghunter
Star Scout

Post by doghunter » Wed May 08, 2013 10:56 am

This is what I fool with currently but I'm going back to a vegtable garden next year.
Team 'Tree Top Assassins'

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed May 08, 2013 12:15 pm

doghunter, you've got umpteen palm trees in pots! Tell us about them, nursery stock? Last picture show some planted in the dirt in rows, will they be transplanted later? Just interested in what you're doing! Treefarmer

doghunter
Star Scout

Post by doghunter » Wed May 08, 2013 1:55 pm

Yes nursery stock, I have been doing everything from seedlings (liners) to field stock and germinate all my own for around six years now. I had around 5,000 currently which are mostly pindo palms with several hundred windmills and european fans. When I'm finished I will have 8-10 acres of field stock pindos and an acre of european fans.The rest are 3 and 7 gal nursery stock and will be sold. Currently I have 4 acres of pindos and 1 acre of european fans but I am constantly working on my fields to add more, in fact half of that mat in the second pic is now in the field.

The ones I transplant to the fields are three year olds and in 10-15 years will be pulled and sold. I grow them in low areas around our pines and that field in the pic is where 8 acres of loblollys didn't make it.
Team 'Tree Top Assassins'

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:56 pm

Ready for a replant. Pulled the last of the kale (in the pot now with some thick bacon), and tilled in 2 bins full of compost. Just finished hilling it up and gotta figure what to stick in there to tide me over till I get ready for fall plants
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:47 pm

How do you keep all your peppers from crossing?
I like animals, they are tasty!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:32 pm

sam03 wrote:How do you keep all your peppers from crossing?
Peppers don't cross, "per se", like most folks believe.
Example...
If a jalapeno bloom pollinates a banana pepper bloom(or vice versa) and produces a pepper, the pepper will not be a jalapeno/banana cross. The cross will only show up if you take the seeds from that pepper(that grew from the cross pollinated bloom) and plant them, then it's peppers will be a jalapeno/banana pepper cross.

Hence the reason I don't worry about it, and I start with new seeds every year. However, I do have a few "super hots" secluded in different sections of the yard to prevent cross pollination, as I do save seeds from them

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”