2013 Spring garden

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

2013 Spring garden

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:17 pm

Well, I took inventory and here is what I have planted so far here at the house.
Broccoli
Cauliflower
4 types of maters
3 types of lettuce
Red onions
Ga white onions
About 20 varieties of peppers from bell peppers to the "super hots"
Shallots
Basil
Parsley
Sage
Dill
Rosemary
Garlic
2 kinds of taters (in bags)
Corn
3 kinds of squash
Egg plant
Brussel Sprouts

2 kinds of cukes
(planting tomorrow)

Still leftover from fall/winter
Beets
Cabbage
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: 2013 Spring garden

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:23 pm

And the last of the greens are in the pot cooking now
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:49 pm

Beat me to it. I still have collards and mustard greens growing strong. Was going to pull the mustards this weekend and prep the bed for planting. All of my herbs (rosemary, thyme, cilantro and oregano) made it through expect for the basil. I am going heavy on the maters, bell & hot peppers and onions, they always seem to grow the best and we are constantly going through them every meal.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:29 pm

I have cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, and kale growing in an outdoor hydroponics set up and I have radishes, lettuce, kohlrabi, hot peppers, collards in raised beds. Have some herbs growing in the ground too. I'll snap some pics of my hydro set up, it's kickin azz right now.

gargoyle725
Second Class Scout

Post by gargoyle725 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Can you guys post some pics of gardens?
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option
I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lite than Kay.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:41 pm

Wife and I have talked about a spring garden, it's still too wet to even walk in the garden without bogging down and the weather folks are saying a freeze Saturday and Sunday as low as 27. I'm glad we don't have any thing in the ground like I had hoped, 'cause the ground is still very cool and with all the welome moisture it would have probably caused a lot of seed to rot rather than germinate. The descriptions of y'alls central Florida gardens sure sound good, especially the 'maters! In this economy, home grown vegetables make a lot of sense even if it is a lot of work. Like ol' gargoyle725 said, we need to see some pictures of them pepper and 'mater plants! :clap Treefarmer

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:01 pm

Well, you start with this...Courtesy of the animal rescue/zoo down the street from me

Cauliflower planted in the ground. A few of the tomatoes in pots. All of them are inditerminate, so I have to get them moved and a climbing trellis built for them. Hopefully tomorrow. Down a the very end is a bunch of small potted plants that are just there until I figure out where to put them

Squash bed, just sown yesterday

Broccoli

A shot of onions, shallots and garlic

Cabbage (finally forming heads), beets, and various peppers and what not's

Will have more pics as I go along

Tomorrow's priority is getting cucumbers sown and a trellis built for them and maters and maters moved

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:01 pm

good luck with the frost this weekend. hopefully smooth sailing after that.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:39 pm

Not supposed to have any here as of tonight's news

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:18 pm

I'll put some pics up tomorrow of my stuff.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:53 pm

Iluv2hunt, Reading the description of your 1st picture caused me to laugh, especially the word "zoo". Having been in the cow business and a 1/2 way cowboy for years, I recognize some of the elements in the manure pile but I was wondering if the secret to your successful garden might be some exotic :crap: ingredients? Is there by chance any monkey manure or perhaps some cheeta droppings in the pile? Might account for the fast growth? Just an ol' man's thoughts :rolleyes .Treefarmer

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:26 am

Treefarmer,
Lmao! No this is a little privately owned place. She takes in mainly farm animals as rescues(abandoned/abused, etc) and rehabs them. Mostly horses, donkeys, mules, etc. She does have a few goats and sheep as well as rabbits. She runs it as a petting zoo and has field trips of kids come visit, mostly special needs schools. All the manure gets mucked and brought out daily to a huge pile. She advertises it for free and a lot of people flock to go get it. However, I usually toss her a couple bucks for feed or at least tip the stall hand as he usually helps me load it in my truck. She said one guy was coming almost daily and getting an entire trailer load. He was running it thru a chipper/shredder and covering his entire yard

No monkeys or cheeta's!

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:36 am

10-4, Iluv2hunt.
I spotted the horse manure at the base of the pile, we miss not having fertlizer producers any more. However the man that rented part of our place last year to plant peanuts, uses chicken litter on his fields. They have a big ol' tandem axle dump truck and haul to each location and dump it, then load into a big buggy spreader with a front end loader and then spread over the field. He made a round through our garden spots also, kind "fowl" for a day or two! Organics like these are usually very cost effective and cut way down on the amount of commercial fertlizer required to make a crop.
It dropped to 31 this morning around 5am, next couple of days are supposed to be colder in this part of the world. Maybe we will have a spring garden started in a few weeks.

Treefarmer

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:46 am

I have a flock of 9 hens. The waste from them is like gold. Granted it's not pure poop like you get from a chicken farm, mine is mixed with shavings, and smaller scale obviously. Every couple months I shovel everything out and put it into barrels to age for a couple months before I use it. Being its got shavings, I "mulch" my plants with it. Just did it yesterday as matter of fact, so I have 4 full barrels now. Chicken poop is one of those that has to be aged or composted as it is considered a hot nitrogen and will burn plants slap up. Of course you probably know that already.

Plus I get this every day!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:01 am

I'm trying potatoes in barrels and bags for the first time. First attempt was a failure. I got seed potatoes and cut them into pieces with each piece having a eye. Advice that was given was to let each piece dry out a couple weeks before planting. They all shriveled up and died. I had a couple Idaho potatoes in the kitchen that had grown eyes. I planted the whole things and they took off like rockets

Winn dixie had a sale on red potatoes so I bought a bag of them and let them sit in the garage on a shelf. They all grew eyes and I planted them. Looks like they took off too, and I just added mulch yesterday

I saved another batch of potatoes to plant maybe in another month to kind of stagger my planting. Hopefully I will have sacks full of taters in a couple months

You basically add a layer of mulch, then dirt as they grow and unroll the bags as needed. Just keep doing that till the bag is full, then let them grow till the growth dies. At that point you should have taters. Plus you can reuse the dirt!

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”