2013 Spring garden

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

9dawgs

Re: 2013 Spring garden

Post by 9dawgs » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:28 pm

Dang Allen, that's a LOT :eek of dodo in that first picture. Is that from the Big Cat Rescue? Do you mix that with your compost or just put it in like it is? I've been wanting to plant a garden for years but never seem to have the time. Think I'm going to take the plunge this year and see what grows. I've tried tomatoes before but the bugs just ate them. I think I got one.

A friend of mine is doing the hay bale gardening this year because I guess they have nematodes real bad and can't get rid of them.

Anyhow, things are looking good at your house. :clap

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Bossman » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:45 pm

Man I wish that I had the time to plant a garden... now that we have to keep the paw-in-law and I work 50 hours a week there is no time to get out and dirty my hands. I use to plant a garden that would stock many pantries the last gardin was 75' long and had 15 rows. I would get 2 5 gallon buckets of cucks every day. and usually get a 5 gallon bucket daily og squash matters. I would lay plastic down with a drip line that I could inject fert. in as I watered it. No wasted water and it only took 1-2 hours to water it. it was a lot of work but made a fine looking garden.

:saluting
Bossman

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:17 pm

No Jim it's not the big cat place. It's just a little place up here in my 'hood. If you want to do a garden in your yard, let me know and I will bring my tiller over. It will make short order of what you need done. It'll turn your spot into what looks like bagged soil. I work cheap...maybe a glass of iced tea will suffice for payment
:clown

As for the poop, I l let it compost down, then work it into the soil as an amendment.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:12 am

Iluv2hunt wrote:No Jim it's not the big cat place. It's just a little place up here in my 'hood. If you want to do a garden in your yard, let me know and I will bring my tiller over. It will make short order of what you need done. It'll turn your spot into what looks like bagged soil. I work cheap...maybe a glass of iced tea will suffice for payment
:clown

As for the poop, I l let it compost down, then work it into the soil as an amendment.
Haha, yep I can afford that. I might just take you up on it. When are you available? I'm out of town this weekend from Thu-Sun but I'm available most Mondays. Its my day off usually. Let me know. Thanks!

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:57 am

Here are some pics of my hydro setup. I basically cloned the "dutch bucket" system with a little hillbilly ingenuity. My raised beds aren't really doing crap yet so I didn't bother taking pictures of them yet.

Cost of setup-

$35 pump
$20-30 perlite
$30 Nutrient solution (expecting to get through the entire spring growing season with it)
$10-rubbermaid bin
~$15-20 in irrigation supplies
$10-15 in PVC stuff, 1/2 OD pvc, elbows, and some 2" PVC and a 45 for the return.
$5 in 1/2" rubber grommets
$7 timer for pump, runs for 30 minutes every 4 hours

Kale

Cukes and cherry tomatoes

2 varieties of bell peppers

Early Girl Tomatoes

Set up pics

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:58 am

Good lookin' plants!!! Intresting setup. Keep the updates coming. Treefarmer

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:59 am

Cauli is gone crazy with growth. No sign of a head yet. Broccoli either
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:58 am

Nick, the set up looks cool and you got some massive growth. Only problem I see from my perspective is everything is too close together, preventing full growth potential. I may be wrong, just the way it looks in the pics

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:21 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Nick, the set up looks cool and you got some massive growth. Only problem I see from my perspective is everything is too close together, preventing full growth potential. I may be wrong, just the way it looks in the pics
I agree, I will be modifying it before long. Just going to extend it out a bit and spread them a bit further. I was concerned about that from the beginning but the wooden stand was made from scrap laying around in the back yard, and I used what I had. I have a week off from work before I start my new job, so I will be fiddling with it this week and over the weekend. I think I'm going to get some cinder blocks and run 2x8s instead of building another stand.

I might even build another one and run it in parallel to this one, use it for kale (we eat a TON of kale) and some lettuce, maybe a couple more pepper plants. I think the pump will keep up.

I'm also going to add a float switch to the reservoir and have it hooked up to the raised bed/ground plant irrigation set up I have (it runs for 1.5 hours every 8 hours). Come summer time I bet the plants will be sucking up some water and I don't want to have to worry about it running dry if I get lazy or go out of town for a couple days.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Also, in the future, I think I will only plant 1 tomato plant per bucket. Many of the folks I read about were planting 2, so I followed suit...but like you said, I think they are already choking each other out a bit.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:59 pm

I wanna do something comparable to this before fall:

I worked on an aquaponics farm for about a year at the end of college. It was a really cool experience, and one thing I learned was that the sun in Central Florida is very unforgiving, especially coupled with the sandy soil that drains so quickly and is fairly nutrient deficient. Time and time again I watched the hydro system flourish while the in ground stuff burned up.

If you don't know what aquaponics is, it's basically hydroponics coupled with raising fish. The fish are kept separate but the water is continually recirculating. The place I worked had 6 "ponds" about 4 ft wide and 100 ft + long. We used 2 inch styrofoam insulation boards with holes cut in them for the net pots, and they float on the water. There are air stones in the ponds to oxygenate the water and the fish "by-product" a.k.a poop provides the fertilizer. Not only did we harvest a TON of lettuce, basil, mint, swiss chard, and other water loving stuff....we harvested the tilapia once they hit their peak.

I'd really like to set up a small scale aquaponics set up one of these days.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:53 pm

I studied it long enough today. Put a wheel to it and measured it off. Gonna break ground on a new garden tomorrow. I had some great ideas for this spring, but just not gonna be enough sun for these smaller beds. They will work good for fall/winter crops, though
This way I can eventually eliminate my raised bed in the back yard that I have to fight on a daily basis to keep the chickens out of(and mow around

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:12 pm

BEFORE:

AFTER:
Ended up being 16x36
Had to make about 4 passes with the tiller, and pull out some nasty roots. I moved about a ton of compost from the other side of the yard and tilled it in, plus about 10lbs of fertilizer. All this with a head cold and bronchitis. I may be on a respirator before morning
:crip

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:18 am

Looks good!
I like animals, they are tasty!

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by drgn4sr » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:15 pm

you guys make my little 10x10 look puny. nice looking gardens you guys.

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”