2013 Garden

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

sam03
Ordeal

2013 Garden

Post by sam03 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:00 am

Well its been a rough start lost a lot of plants to the cold & hot crap and some to our 4 legged friends... But i replanted some stuff this weekend and have more to plant next. So far i have corn, potatoes, broccoli, egg plant, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, tomates, garlic, onions, peppers and some herbs.

I like animals, they are tasty!

dadsahuntin
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: 2013 Garden

Post by dadsahuntin » Tue May 07, 2013 12:32 pm

Man I wish I had that space to work with. How does it look now 2 weeks later? Now that I think of it that looks like a full time job in itself.

lamehawk
Silver Contributer

Post by lamehawk » Tue May 07, 2013 2:28 pm

good to see a garden
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:14 am

Finally got veggies growing. Got some corn and okra in the ground they are abt 2-3" tall. My peppers and tomatoes are starting to kick into gear.

Datil Pepper

German Tomatoes

Zucchini

Cucumbers
I like animals, they are tasty!

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Fri May 31, 2013 9:03 am

Things I learned this year...

- Cukes are harder to grow than I thought.
- Keep an eye on your tomatoes for any signs of powdery mildew. I had a bad case of it on my cherry tomatoes and it took a toll on the leaves. Plant looks like it's struggling.

Egg plants and peppers are doing great. No squash either. Looks like the same thing as Alan is happening to mine. Flowers, but no veg.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri May 31, 2013 3:47 pm

My squash are done. And what's left are struggling. I figured out I have powdery mildew. blossom end rot, and squash bugs. I got some fungicides to control it, and obviously have pesticides to use but they are a lost cause at this point. And with very little rain I can barely keep up watering. My peppers are rolling, and they are one thing I have mastered. Cukes all of a sudden are dying
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Ironcat
Second Class Scout

2013 Garden

Post by Ironcat » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:09 am

- My broc / brussells are growing nice and thick but no buds yet.
- Just redid my cukes a few weeks ago so they are out of the ground, should be trying to climb soon.
- I accidentally flooded my zukes and squash so need to start them over.
- My eggplants are threatening to take over the world.
- Just pulled all tomatoes, need to start some before it gets too hot.
- Herbs are everywhere.
- Apparently my crappy back yard soil grows the best radishes ever.
- I need to try some peppers. Last year's never took.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

2013 Garden

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:57 am

Ok we'll I got in the mood. I live in an apt for now til me and wifey find property so I'm doing pots on the patio. Here are the start to my tomatoes. I'm going to put em in a bigger pot this week!Image

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:09 am

Hey bro. You need to thin them down to like 2 plants. Also they are leaning to the sunlight. Need to get it up on the ledge or something so it can get more light. They will get too "leggy"
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

2013 Garden

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:17 am

So I need to pull 2 and then transplant?

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:36 am

Cr0ck1 wrote:So I need to pull 2 and then transplant?
When you do maters in a pot, first thing you need to do is see if they are Determinate or INdeterminate. (It should say it on the package of seeds). Determinate are a bush type, INdeterminate are a vine type. Determinate are great for pots. Indeterminate are not as they grow so tall. Mine in my garden are over 8' tall now.
You don't really need to plant more than a few seeds, then when they are a couple inches tall you thin them to the strongest couple plants. They really need full sun or they will get leggy like those are. if they do get leggy you can put them in a bigger pot and fill the soil up to cover 80% of the plant. Maters will grow roots directly off the stem, so its one of the plants you can practically bury

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:57 am

All my cucumbers have been decimated by worms. Pretty frustrating. I had to rip them out of the ground. My cherry tomatos are taking over the world. I cannot believe how big those plants became. Compared to the roma (which I like best) they are unruly. Eggplants are just starting to fruit. I dont have a big area because of my fruit trees but its overall doing well.

I am thinking about putting a chayote vine in. Easy to grow and pretty prolific. Seems to be right for this area.

On a EXCITING note... I put in 2 pecan trees over 2 years ago. It looks like this year I will have my FIRST pecans. Incredible! We have all these oaks around here and pecans are native down here too. Dont know where they all went. You cant do much with acorns. I will be ripping out another oak tree and putting in ANOTHER pecan tree here soon if that is the case.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:10 am

Pecan wood is one of the best woods to use for smoking pork. Gives it a nice mellow smoke flavor. Once your trees are big enough you can start cutting some branches and have the best of both worlds. Pecan smoked ribs with a pecan pie for dessert!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:31 pm

Wish I had a source for pecan wood. I cut down an orange tree at my sisters like 2 years ago and I am still using that in my BGE. I also cut down my tangerine tree :cry: Friday, so that should last me another couple years or so

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:15 pm

Check with your local tree trimmers. Theres a guy by me that sometimes has wheelbarrows full of pecan for sale. I'll keep an eye out for the next time he has a load.

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”