2013 Garden

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: 2013 Garden

Post by treefarmer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:20 am

The garden is finally producing. Been getting a few squash and beans last week, but yesterday we picked the 4 rows of Roma bush beans and 2 row of yellow straight neck squash. Had enough squash to share with 6 other families but the beans are staying at home! (I'm going to plant some kind of pole beans next time and let them run on hog wire or cattle panels so I don't have to end up with a sore back and legs.) Momma will be canning the beans we snapped last night and I'll be plowing/cultivating some of the later planted corn and peas today. Our peppers are also coming in and we usually just make pickled peppers by combining 2 or 3 kinds of peppers, some onions and green 'maters. As the season progresses the pickled peppers become more colorful in the jars as the red colored peppers finally mature. Added a couple of pics pf the garden and some of the bounty from yesterday. Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:49 pm

dam I'm slacking....that's a real garden!
I like animals, they are tasty!

lamehawk
Silver Contributer
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by lamehawk » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Makes u miss a garden looks so good
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Zippers
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Iluv2hunt, what are you doing? Canning venison and picking peas. You are putting us old folks to shame. I see you have a fan blowing on the peas to cool 'em down. Since you have all this experience under your belt, I can thaw some venison when you come up to pick peas for us next month :shifty and you can give us a class in canning meat. No need to bring your canner we have one, been doing green beans earlier this week. Just messin' with you, my friend, and I compliment :D you on your projects you shared today.
Treefarmer

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Ha!
My brother in law lives in Poke county where all the farms are. He picked me up a bushel in the rain storm, then set them by my garage in the rainstorm. When I finally got around to shelling some of them this afternoon, they were soaked and starting to mold. I spread them out on the floor of the garage in the "redneck wind tunnel", as Carlos calls it to dry out
Taking a break now, I got cramps in my thumbs.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

2013 Garden

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Lol

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:45 pm

Man, you guys sure make a fellow want to get back into growing a garden. The wifey and kids wanted to grow a garden this year. I told them that it would be just like the swimming pool... I'd be the only one doing the work in it and that I could go to the veggie stand for a hell of a lot less. A bushell of shelled zippers are like $25 I have bought 30 lbs. of squash and 40 cucumbers and 6 Bell peppers for $30 and haven't broke a sweat.

:taz
Bossman

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:57 pm

I won't disagree with you. Treefarmer's garden is very big, which makes it more worthwhile and more cost efficient. Plus, I am guessing he saves seeds from previous crops, so he has little to no money going into getting it going. Small scale stuff like I have, it's more of a hobby and something to keep me busy more than anything. With over 10'' of rain in the last week I can't even get out there to replant what I tilled up 2 weeks ago. Good news is I haven't had to water in 2 weeks either.
It took me a while to shell, wash, blanch and bag all those peas up. But I caught up on some TV watching while doing it!

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Yeah I hear ya, I think if I go any more gardens it will be the smaller scale. 4 years ago was my last garden and it was out of control but a good one. I had 16 rows that was 70' long under plastic with a drip system. I would only have to water 30 minutes every other day with absolutely no wasted water, it all went to the plant. I would ferterlize with miracle grow through the drip. I had 30 tomato bushes 70 squash plants and 2 rows of cucs 10 rows of various peas/beans and the odd ball row like melons lopes and other. It just all became like to much work when I had to come home from work and pick 3-5 buckets (5 gallon) everyday. Made lots of friends though. Maybe I've just got to fat and lazy.

:tequila
Bossman

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:04 am

Got some pics bossman? That sounds pretty sweet!

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:10 pm

sam03 wrote:Got some pics bossman? That sounds pretty sweet!
No Idon't have any pics but it is the same set up that watermelon farmers set their melons on plastic. Same thing on everything even the same drip.
Bossman

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

2013 Garden

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Patio farming.. Got them transplanted'

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:01 am

Finally got some ghost peppers and was reading up abt them. I dont want them crossing with my other pepper plants so i.m trying to figure out where to pot them in the yard. Any advise?

I found this story during my googling...
http://growingghostpeppers.com/farmer-c ... s/#more-83

doghunter
Star Scout

Post by doghunter » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:10 pm

I have been eating broccoli, squash, cucumbers, and zuchkini til I am kinda tired of it. Now the fried green tomatoes I will never be tired of. Y'all have some nice gardens. I am really interested in doing some peppers, melons, and tomatoes next year. I figured I will transition part of my nursery mats (W/ overhead irrigation) to grow veggies.
Team 'Tree Top Assassins'

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”