Clover/corn food plot

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

1jody256
scout

Re: Clover/corn food plot

Post by 1jody256 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:28 pm

some fine looking sausage right there,getting fat on those pears!

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:49 am

Clover/corn food plot Day 122

Things are very slow here in the Panhandle. 'Bout the time it dries out for a few days, then it rains again! Not being able to burn the crabgrass where the clover was planted earlier creates an issue of creating that "perfect" seedbed to try again. Burying all the vegetation with a bottom plow is out of the question because of being too wet to pull the plows and disking over such a heavy stand of fertilized crab grass will certainly not leave a seedbed conducive to a good stand of clover. A good burn will clear the vegetation and a trip or two with a disk and drag will provide a place for the clover to germinate.

The corn side was gone over and the remaining corn was picked last week. Not enough to last till the season starts, the deer had really hammered it during the extreme wet time. This side will be planted in oats or rye, which doesn't require the well prepared seedbed like clover does. Still the seed must be in contact with the soil and corn stalks and weeds will prevent the grain drill from functioning properly.

Facing the issues that weather conditions create causes me to really feel for the area farmers, as their livelihood depends on being able to get out and do the same things I need to do to make a food plot. There is quite a difference in the bottom line between farming and playing with a food plot!

The pears are still falling in the yard, so I'm still running a camera in that spot. There was over 300 pics this week, same bunch of deer that can be seen in the peanut field. Some time the deer get our dog's attention, we hear her bark and then she gets quiet.
The 3 pics today show the timing involving the dog, a deer eating pears at 10:14pm, the dog investigating at 10:17 and then at 12:21 the deer are back under the pear tree in about 2 hours and the dog is in her pen. This dog will blood trail and so far every time she starts on a hot track or starts running a deer by sight, we just call her back and she quits the run (keeping the fingers crossed).

Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:51 am

Clover/corn food plot Day 128

What a different prospective a year makes! Last season we had plenty of corn standing in the field at this time, this time there is none. Decided to try and begin working up this little piece of bottom land for another shot a some clover and also a small patch of Rye grain. Rye grain is more tolerant of lower ph levels than most other winter grains. The dirt is very slick and still extremely wet and the crab grass did not burn as well as I had hoped. All this coupled with the possibility that Invest 97 will come our way this weekend, makes this an "iffy" project.

Started on this yesterday afternoon after going to my doctor for my annual check up. (He said blood work couldn't be much better, don't know if he was pleased or disappointed, however he wants to x-ray my hip that hurts, arthritis he suspects.) Did pretty well in the plot with the old Massey-Ferguson 175 pulling the off-set harrow. Had to feather it quite often as it would start to spin in this slick, wet soil. But as todays pictures will show all didn't go as planned. I didn't get back to the house on time or my wife couldn't hear the tractor running, either way she and the dog came looking for me and found me walking out. I wasn't stuck but I just couldn't go!

Had left the big "elephant rope" on the old Massey since last time she had to pull me out. Drove the 4 wheel drive tractor to the field and she followed in the cart. Momma pulled me out and we decided to leave the other tractor in the field just in case. Finished fluffing the plot so if could dry out a little more before I put the bigger leveling disk in the field. But if the rain from a depression or storm comes this weekend, it maybe several more weeks till planting some seed. Thanksgiving Day is getting closer.

Picture today show the little problem yesterday and one picture of the girls still chowing down on the pears.
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:02 pm

cont'd

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:13 pm

cont'd

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:17 pm

Cont'd.......procedure for posting pictures has changed somewhat, hope this has worked properly

1jody256
scout

Post by 1jody256 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:50 pm

SOME BIG BACK STRAP WALKING AROUND!FINE LOOKING GIIRLS.

DaveT
Second Class Scout

Post by DaveT » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:19 am

Man...that pear tree is a gold mine....and I like the pics from that Moultrie cam.

I went up to my place last week to put in all my fall plots. Got chased around by the rain for 3 days while I was putting them in...luckilly one of my neighbors had already turned them again the day before I got there so the discing was already done. Put in six plots....started throwing seeds and Fert. on Tuesday and by Thursday afternoon they already had roots popping out....never did get to cover them...was too wet and didnt want to disturb them once they popped...we will see how that works.....but talked to my other neighbor yesterday and he checked out my place for me and said they were looking good and already up 2-3 inches and nice and green....I guess mother nature and the rain took care of it. Couple of pics below right after I threw the seed....
P1010028.JPG
P1010004.JPG
P1010016.JPG
http://WWW.TampaTaxidermy.com

Sometimes I wake up Grumpy.....but mostly I just let her sleep....

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:30 am

DaveT, those are some fine lookin' plots! Were they all logging decks, or how were they established? With the right moisture, lots of seed will germinate on top and put down a root and grow well, it's not ideal but in nature that is the way plants reproduce without our help.
The pear tree is holding up well, still a lot of fruit on it for them to eat.
Treefarmer

DaveT
Second Class Scout

Post by DaveT » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:40 am

TreeFarmer,
Thanks....that last one was a loading deck that I have been working on for the last couple of years to make into a plot. Getting better all the time. All my other plots I had put in by a guy up there who has a big dozer, loader, and charges a very fair rate and works hard for it. Lucky to have him. He will put in roads, ponds, rock or culvert bridges, plots, etc. and was born and raised in the area and really understands the land and how to work it without destroying stuff....leaves the topsoil, puts in water berms on the steeper roads for erosion, etc. Great guy. Here's the other plots.....will post some update pics when I get up there to hunt ML.
P1010002.JPG
This one above was a food plot that the loggers used as a loading deck, and cut down a beautiful mature white oak that is fortunately starting to come back up. You can see it to the right side in this end of the plot. I could have cried....they werent supposed to touch hardwoods, but it was in the way of the loader for the trucks....whatever.

P1010012.JPG
P1010024.JPG
I generally dont hunt these plots too much, but if someone who hasnt shot a deer before or if they want to hunt with a kid or something, then they can use these... I like to let the deer have them as kind of a safe place and hunt the trails/roads coming in/out....but in the heat of the rut, the bucks will be checking them for hot does.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:07 am

Clover/corn food plot Day Day135

Good Morning from Eufala! We are on our way to visit our oldest daughter and her family in Atlanta area (Lawrenceville). Making a 6 hour trip in 2 days, antique/junk shops, lookin' for green glass and pocket knives.

We were blessed not to receive but 0.45 inches of rain out of the Karen storm. I was able to pull the 10' disk over the food plot Monday afternoon without having Momma come and retrieve me with the other tractor. Then again yesterday morning before I spread 400 lbs. of 8-8-8 fertilizer. Each disking helps dry the soil. We planted 100 lbs of Wrens Abruzzi Rye with the antique Van Brunt grain drill after cutting in the fertilizer. The soil is just to wet to get a proper seed bed for clover, so that's out for now.

Will post a few pic when we get back of the rye planting.
Treefarmer

DaveT
Second Class Scout

Post by DaveT » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:08 am

Just an update....I posted some pics earlier of my plots that I seeded about 2 weeks ago...had a lot of rain and we couldnt cover them in, just let nature work.....here's one of them from the day we threw the seed, and another shot from this morning....I asked my neighbor up there to go over and take a look at the closest one and send me a pic....He said its looking good, the grasses are up and the green's (turnips, peas, sugar beets, rape, etc) all look like they took....great news....since ML starts this Saturday.....cant wait..
P1010030.JPG
condo2.jpg

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Thats just 2 weeks..........looks good...
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

DaveT
Second Class Scout

Post by DaveT » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:49 am

Triple Creek Reaper wrote:Thats just 2 weeks..........looks good...
Thanks....Yeah, I think I got real lucky this year....just enough rain to make it happen...and rained up there again this week to really give them kick....so now Im wondering if last year I might have put the greens a little too deep.....since they came up better this year without even being covered. My neighbor that took the second pic...his greens never came up this year,,,,and he ran the disc over them real light to cover....??

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:19 am

DaveT,
A good example for us to pay attention to seed depth as we work on these plots. The fact that yours is doing well and only broadcast and rain fall covering it, shows how little depth is needed. The ideal depth is different for different crops and a mixture makes it difficult to be exact. The brassicas, like the clovers need only a 1/4 to 1/2 inch, where the grasses, rye, oats, wheat, etc.
may do better with 1-2 inches planting depth. What we planted last Tuesday, should be up this weekend since we have adequate moisture and still warm soil temps. We'll see when we get back home from Atl.
Treefarmer

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”