Clover/corn food plot

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Clover/corn food plot

Post by treefarmer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:43 pm

Clover/corn food plot Day 177

Having a pretty day, it is about 68°, was 45° earlier, a few clouds. Had a big rain Monday morning, 5.25 inches. The woods are wet again! The Rye patch is very boggy but there is a lot of sign along the edges.

Sat in the shooting house on Friday afternoon for about 45 minutes and saw a nice 4 point with light colored antlers and dark tarsals. He was joined by a couple of other deer when it was too dark to tell what they were.

Quite a few deer have begun to use the feeder south of the Rye patch, in fact the 4 pt went to the feeder after spending about 15 minutes grazing on the Rye. Just a week and a day till the season starts. Thanksgiving morning would be a good day to bust one before my little grandsons get here, but I've learned "not to count the chickens before the eggs hatch".

Pictures this week from the game camera show some of the visitors and then how the Rye has grown since being planted October 8.
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DaveT
Second Class Scout

Post by DaveT » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:14 pm

That's a pretty setup....good luck....
http://WWW.TampaTaxidermy.com

Sometimes I wake up Grumpy.....but mostly I just let her sleep....

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks DaveT. If you could kill one as easily as the camera takes his picture it wouldn't be much of a challenge. Seems like most seasons the big boys are really hard to see except during the rut and even then they don't seem to make too many mistakes. Looking back at my personal hunting records for many years, we kill a lot more deer in January than any other time.
Treefarmer

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:26 am

Man, that's purty! :>) That's a lot more exciting than what I have on my cameras. Just a bunch of dang squirrels getting fat on the corn under the feeders. Good luck on your Thanksgiving hunt brother!

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:20 pm

Clover/corn food plot Day 184
Been having some nasty weather last couple of days. Cloudy and cool Monday, then rain all day yesterday. 2 inches fell by dark yesterday, woods are standing in water again. Some of the rye is suffering from too much water, turning yellow in the standing water, shoulda' planted rice! This morning it was 40° and cloudy with a northwest wind blowing about 15 mph. Finally the clouds are breaking up and the sun is shinning, clear and cold tonight.

Tomorrow is the big day! Been lookin' forward to opening day since last season, but greater than that, tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day. We wish all the FOHAF members a Happy Thanksgiving! We all have so very much to be thankful for, even in the lean times, compared to most of this old world, we're are truly blessed. Enjoy the day tomorrow and be thankful.

Was hoping to see a regular parade of bucks on the camera today, like last week, but not a one showed up. Kinda' light on the number of pictures too. Pictures this week show the 'coons are competing with Bambi for the shelled corn, I still think this game camera makes a noise when it fires and there are still plenty of butt-heads in the woods.
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:47 pm

]Clover/corn food plot Day 191

The short 4 day season beginning Thanksgiving Day was a great success even though we didn't kill a deer. Some of the game camera pictures from Thursday morning showed 22º before daylight, I only went because it was opening day! Before the family Thanksgiving supper, I took my oldest grandson to the shooting house around 4pm. We saw 5 does in the rye patch, so that was a success. Friday afternoon we did the same thing except we took the younger grandson. Last year I took both at the same time, not doing that till they are much older! Friday we only saw 2 and they were by the feeder. Saturday afternoon after the family left, I did the same hunt and saw 10 different deer from 4pm till dark. No racks but several of the ol' gals had dark tarsals.

The little 4 point on Day 177 post is probably dead. One of the neighbors nephews killed a 4 point Friday afternoon near our East fence line around 4pm, we heard the shot from the shooting house. I'm going to show them the picture just to know. Only one little raggedy buck on the camera this week, looks like a young one, maybe a 6pt.

The west side of the rye patch has what looks like a cow trail where the deer are walking for some reason. It is very wet and maybe that edge is packed a more firmly than in the rye itself?

Pictures from this week shows the oldest grandson and a Satsuma in the shooting house, a view of the feeder looking back at the shooting house across the rye, my helper keeping her seat while I service the feeder and the game camera and the one little buck that walked by the camera. (sorry the pics are reverse order)

Beginning Saturday the 7th, we have 7 days of muzzleloading before starting back with the .243 on the 14th.

Y'all be safe and get that Christmas shoppin' done early!
Treefarmer

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:43 pm

Clover/corn food plot Day 198
Yesterday the temperature was 70º at daylight, this morning it was 37º! Been going to the shooting house in the afternoons and have not seen deer but one evening during this early muzzle loader season. The does were pretty thick during Thanksgiving, but not this week. However, if I weren't so lazy I probably would have seen some this morning as they were on the camera at 7:44. Sooner or later an ol' buck and I will be on the same schedule and I'll take a crack at him.

Had some very high winds yesterday morning and one of the roof panels on the shooting house was slid about 2 feet as it was rubbed by one of the pine trees that grew up around the stand. All the panels were put in place from the inside of the stand and secured with screws, the last 2 were only glued down with liquid nails as they closed the access to the top side of the roof. Got to take a long extension ladder and slide the panel back in place then set a few screws in the lathe to remedy the problem. Also need to cut off the pine at window height to remedy the rubbing from the wind.

Had to change out the feeder motor on the feeder on the lease property as it was howling/squealing when it came on. This feeder set on the edge of an old clay pit and there is a pop up ground blind set by gall berries and pines in the bottom of the old pit.

Been noticing a duck that is staying in the pond by the shooting house. Any idea what type it is?

Saturday we go back to "real" rifle season, maybe we'll be able to take a picture of deer that gets run over by the .243 before it's over.

3 pictures this week, does this am, roof issue on shooting house and the duck.

Treefarmer

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:40 pm

Clover/corn food plot Day 205
Regular rifle season started last Saturday and haven't seen any antlers yet. Some does and yearlings, not following any particular patterns. Some afternoons they are in the Rye patch, one afternoon they were marching throught the planted pines and one evening they were working the corn feeder.

Weather is cold in the mornings, frost on the ground, then 50's in the afternoon hunt. I'm not as mad at them deer as I once was, so they get a rest most mornings, besides that it's too cold for an old man! :crip

Had some new computer protection put on my wife's laptop and then they tried to install it on mine and the ol' boy apparently didn't know much more than I do and he screwed mine up. Got an appointment with the Geek Squad Friday morning to have them fix what one of their bright boys messed up from a remote location. :no So this week I'll not pull the card from the camera as that function is also gone, gee...hopefully have computer back up for next week.

Y'all have a good time preparing for Christmas and remember the Reason for the Season!
Treefarmer

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:53 pm

Clover/corn food plot Day 212
Merry Christmas! Weather has been a mixed bag the last few days, warm, cloudy then rain, cloudy after 2.6" by Tuesday morning, cooler, then 29 degrees this morning with a big frost. Too cold for this ol' man on Christmas morning. But At 8 o'clock we had a herd come by the feeder. No corn on the ground when I picked up the card from the camera. Even checked to see if the feeder had corn in it or the motor was fouled. Just hungry deer. Notice the tarsals on the mature does, looks promising!
The deer are grazing on the rye in the evenings. Some of it is beginning to head out already.
A little update on the red corn that we gathered before the deer consumed it all. Had a neighbor grind some for us, we ended up with 2-2gallon bags of "red" corn meal and 1-2 gallon bag or red grits. The corn bread is hard to tell that it's from red corn but the grits are different as they have a speckled red look to them. Just for fun Miss Joy made some fried corn bread that was very red by adding red food coloring to the meal. We enjoyed an early Christmas dinner of red corn bread, mixed greens, pork ribs and tea last Sunday after church.
Haven't been in the woods near as much as I used too, getting old ain't a lot of fun. Maybe we'll bust one in the next few weeks.
Treefarmer

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:21 am

Looks good.
I like animals, they are tasty!

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:07 am

That's a fine looking Christmas dinner! We had a baked ham with some biscuits and red eye gravy. Plus green beans, etc. We just kind of grazed all day as the early morning had some eggs and jalapeno & cheese venison sausage that my buddy John up in Laurel Hill sent down with my daughter-in-law in November.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:19 pm

Clover/corn food plot Day 219

Happy New Year!

Running behind today. Our son and his wife are stopping by for dinner as well as our middle daughter, Didn't go to the woods this morning. Been overcast and a few sprinkles, 2 inches on 12/28,not much sun since Christmas Day. Today is the last day of doe week. Went to the lease on Thursday and sat in the popup blind-bad experience in my book. Next afternoon got in my old shooting house, at least I could see what was going on. Killed one that afternoon and another on Saturday afternoon, then yesterday afternoon I got busted by one that had slipped out and was only about 30 yards away. When I turned to look out another window, I saw the flag and then they had a blowing contest for awhile. The wind was perfect. They played cat and mouse till almost dark, peeking through the thick junk trying to figure out what was wrong. Could see ears, eyes and noses but not clear enough for a shot.

The rye patch here at the food plot is really starting to head out and that's probably not good as it will be almost mature before the season goes out in Feb. Not having a lot of cold weather contributes to this early maturity. I've never observed deer eating the rye grain seed heads. If there were enough deer to keep it cut back it would not head out so quickly. The ground is staying wet, more like it was some years ago and it may call for moving the food plot to a dryer ridge for next season, so many variables, just like farming for a living.

Nothing on the game camera worth showing, but a couple of pictures of processing. When the weather is cold, we will hang a deer in a fly bag for as long as weather allows, usually have break the down and put them in an ice chest to finish aging. Saturday morning had to break one down and went ahead a got all the rib meat for sausage. Then Saturday evening had to work under the shed because of the rain. Had to swing that deer up horizontally to get her high enough to cool out of the reach a rambling neighborhood dogs. Added her to the ice chest Sunday after church. Probably start cutting them at the end of the week. Both of these does had dark tarsals, so hopefully will see bucks chasing or cruising in the next couple of weeks.
Treefarmer

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:06 pm

Clover/corn food plot Day 226

This weather has been something the last few days! Growing up in Orange County and to move to Washington County was quite a change 40 years ago as far as the weather is concerned. You would think a feller would get used to the occasional cooler temperatures of the panhandle, but with surface water frozen, ice breaking like glass when you drive through a wet spot in the woods, it's still amazing to me. Down to 17º yesterday with a high of 32º, now that just ain't Florida! This morning it was 19º but it is warming up, the wind is getting around toward the east, it's still cold but not like the last few days.

Too cold in the mornings, but have been sitting watching a wad of does at the feeder and then in the rye patch in the afternoon. No bucks chasing yet, or at least not while I've been watching. The little heavy horned 4pt that I thought had been killed by a neighbor was back at the feeder last Saturday up in the morning. Still have to finish cutting up the does from a week or so back.

The rye grain is drawing deer but the field is so saturated with water it is not doing as well as I have seen in drier seasons. It doesn't have the dark green color as I've not been able to top dress it with any nitrogen as the field is too wet for a tractor.

The ponds had a skim of ice over some of their surfaces and any mud holes in the roads were frozen over completely. Water caught on the top of the feeder was a solid disk, and Miss Joy's bird bath is solid. These will be some of this weeks pictures, I just can't imagine what Blackpowderscout went through up the country a few weeks ago
Treefarmer

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:11 pm

His hocks are black and he is sniffing around. Maybe he will mess up and try and sneak by you one afternoon!
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:09 pm

Clover/corn food plot Day 233

Things are slow in the panhandle. Had an inch and a quarter of rain on Monday evening, things were already wet and now they are sure enough wet! Quite a bit of the Rye is under water and it don't look too good. Still have around 7 does most evenings coming to the feeder in the pines. For some reason the Moultrie D55IR is not doing what it'd supposed to do, batteries are 80%, deer walking in front of it, no pictures? Put in a new SDHC card, hope that works.

Found 3 fresh scrapes in a small area east of the food plot so at least there's probably a buck close by. Finished processing the 2 does from doe week and am waiting on Ol' Big Boy to show up!

I noticed a small spring boiling up in a crossing which tells me the ground is full of water. If this continues I'll have to change a few things before time to plant another food plot, like find some higher ground. It hasn't been this wet in many years.

Pictures for this week will show the small spring boil, the wet food plot, my helper enjoying the water and the last of the venison being ground.
Treefarmer

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”