Too late to plant?

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Too late to plant?

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:34 pm

Was thinking of replanting this coming Friday. Looks like we have very high chances for rain starting Sunday. I planted a couple small plots and one of them is completely gone, other is grazed down to ground level (oats)

Ironically, I got a call from a guy on Saturday who hunted one of my spots in the years past. I took it over this summer after I found out he didn't rejoin. He called me to let me know he still had a ground blind in there and needed to get it out, and he would be on my game camera. Told him no problem. He couldn't get it out this summer due to high water.

Got to small talking and he told me I needed to ditch the feeder and just plant plots. Told him, yeah I had a pile of deer till the hogs took over. He had the same issue and quit feeding, and just planted. He has his own tractor and did inform me that he spent a mini fortune in lime and fertilizer. A lot of it is grown over, but if I start cutting them in now and spraying and discing as soon as season is over I think I can get them back in shape with just an ATV and my little disc.
When is all said and done, I think I am looking at close to an acre that will be plantable

Is it too late to plant, even with these mild temps we are having? It will just be cereal grains for the remainder of this season. Was thinking of putting down a light application of fertilizer and a couple bags of lime, then in late January I will do a soil test. I figure with all the rain this summer it will need a bit so it's not really a waste
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Too late to plant?

Post by treefarmer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:43 pm

If your ground is in zone C, deer season ends Jan 19. Barring extreme cold you should have something up and growing in less than 30 days. Check the pictures of the rye patch that we planted on Oct.8, it was plenty tall to draw critters at 22 days, so you should have quite a few days to hunt such a plot. As the natural foods disappear little by little in the late fall and early winter any green patch will get attention.
Treefarmer

FLQuacker
Second Class Scout

Post by FLQuacker » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:43 pm

With all the water finally receeding on the cuts into our swamps...that's what I'll be doing this coming Friday. Throwing ryegrass :)

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:24 pm

FLQuacker wrote:With all the water finally receeding on the cuts into our swamps...that's what I'll be doing this coming Friday. Throwing ryegrass :)
Better look at the forecast for Sun-Tue. They might be filling right back up
:boat :boat :boat
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

FLQuacker
Second Class Scout

Post by FLQuacker » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:11 pm

That little bit of rain won't hurt....I'm talking 2-3 ft it has finally gone down since this summer. Thigh deep when we first started

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:09 pm

Hunted till 10, then got down and on the ATV and disc. Turned everything over and had to hand spread all the seed (spreader got wet). I disked the seed under real good. Hopefully the rain gets it going and the barrage of turkeys stay away. I am gonna sit this spot again tomorrow and throw rocks at them
:skeet

FLQuacker
Second Class Scout

Post by FLQuacker » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Got mine thrown too....hand spread about 30 lbs into 4 or 5 micro plots between 10a and 1p. Sat in the drizzle all day. 1 squirrel and 1 turkey.
Rye should really go with the slow soak I got all day. Gonna finish off the bag tomorrow, should make for some nice attractent 2-3 weeks.

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”