2014 Spring Garden

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: 2014 Spring Garden

Post by treefarmer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:40 am

The old Indian was right, from 11pm till 10:30am, we had 5.5 inches of rain. The roads are blown out in places this morning. Additionally there was a tremendous lightning storm around midnight. Garden is still on hold. Good sleepin' weather.
Treefarmer

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:58 am

Went out this morning to make my usual rounds before I got the day started. I noticed 3 pepper plants that were barren of leaves that were fine yesterday. Also noticed a potato plant was stripped. Mixed up some liquid sevin and went to spraying. Turns out it was tomato hornworms. Man those things are huge. Now it is floooding. Just what the hunt lease needs :fish :boat
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:16 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote: Now it is floooding. Just what the hunt lease needs :fish :boat
Rumor has it that some places above the storm got 7" in 3 hours. I haven't proofed that rumor but dang that would be wet on wet. I gonna give my place a couple of weeks before we go back there to do a little hog hunting.

:saluting
Bossman

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:44 am

Here I go again with squash. They come up and grow nice and pretty and with beautiful blooms. Never produced any squash and then end up dying over night just like this one. I noticed a little bit of wilt the other day and sprayed everything with some liquid Sevin dust. Wake up this morning and this whole end of them is goneImage

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:12 am

Iluv2hunt wrote:Here I go again with squash. They come up and grow nice and pretty and with beautiful blooms. Never produced any squash and then end up dying over night just like this one. I noticed a little bit of wilt the other day and sprayed everything with some liquid Sevin dust. Wake up this morning and this whole end of them is gone.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
That's scary looking. Looks like the work of squash vine borers from what I've seen on the internet. Its basically the larva of a hawk moth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:22 pm

Got me some 'maters and peppers coming out. Woot Woot! Hopefully they'll make it big enough to eat. I put them out on 3.31.14 so I'm thinking these Early Girls will live up to their name. I put some Miracle Grow to them on Monday and will do it again next Monday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:47 am

My post from April 15th is almost identical to what we are experiencing today. We've had 4.45" of rain since yesterday as of 6 this morning and it hasn't slowed since then. So far we haven't heard of any tornadoes in our area. The schools are closed, the roads are washed out again and we've been hearing thunder since about 1:30 AM. Can't recall that long of a thunder storm before. Farmers are shot for another few weeks, garden is the same, summer food plots are not even being thought about. On the bright side, we didn't get the 14 plus inches that have fallen in Pensacola.
Y'all stay dry!
Treefarmer

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:10 pm

Yeah, I was thinking about y'all up that way when I heard of the rain you're getting. Hope it don't last too long. On the other hand my tomatoes are getting big. I counted 22 now with more expected. The biggest of the lot is about 1.5" in diameter. I've already had to tie them to the stakes and will need to do it again soon.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:45 pm

Won't be too long till y'all be eatin' "mater sammichs"!
Treefarmer

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”