2014 Spring Garden

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Kortsman
Star Scout

Re: 2014 Spring Garden

Post by Kortsman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:36 pm

Those plants look a little too close. They'll be stunted if they grow too close and won't expand out to their full potential. Other than that, I like the setup.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:42 pm

That's about the way I started out. Now I got about 1/2 the yard planted. And the rest in chicken coops :wacko :wacko
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:59 pm

9dawgs, I believe the boys are right in saying the tomatoes are a little close, they do need room to grow, maybe you could move a couple to the out side rows in place of the marigolds in order to give them room. With all the good stuff you put in that bed they ought to really grow! They'll probably need to be staked or supported with a wire cage, too.
I'm not going to show my wife your good looking bed, already have too many honey-dos :rolleyes . Our raised beds are made from cross ties and are many, many years old, some are deteriorating to the point where they need replacing. We fill them with mushroom compost about every other year and it does very well with tomatoes and peppers. It is so wet here that very little field work has been done, corn normally would have already been plowed once by now and it's all going to be late this season. If the rain continues this year maybe like the Old Testament 7th year rest for the land.
Treefarmer

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:37 am

Mine is off to a good start. I am still using the same 2 raised beds but this year just started using my leaves as mulch to help with water retention and surface temperatures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: Re:

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:15 am

Triple Creek Reaper wrote:
Iluv2hunt wrote:Yeah it should be on the tag or pack of seeds

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly only the indeterminate plants need the suckers pulled off but only pull the suckers found below the existing blooms on the plant.
Here is a video that explains it better than I ever could
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJgA4n-sCE8
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:21 am

How far apart do they need to be? I thought I read somewhere that when you plant in a raised bed you could plant closer. Maybe not, I am old and don't remember things like I used to. That's what my wife says anyhow! :eek I also plan to stake them, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Maybe if I put the tomatoes in a zig zag pattern that would help? Thanks for the advice fellas.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:06 pm

They can get big with due care.Image

Bossman
Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:15 pm

Y'all going have get a ladder to pick them 'maters! What variety are they?
Treefarmer

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:22 pm

Well, I spaced the tomatoes and peppers about 2' apart and put in a home made drip irrigation system by tying into my sprinklers. I also staked the tomatoes with about 6' cedar 1x2s. Hope this works out! Man those tomatoes that Bossman is growing will be hard to duplicate.
spring2014a.JPG
spring2014b.JPG
spring2014c.JPG
spring2014d.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:49 am

9dawgs wrote:Well, I spaced the tomatoes and peppers about 2' apart and put in a home made drip irrigation system by tying into my sprinklers. I also staked the tomatoes with about 6' cedar 1x2s. Hope this works out! Man those tomatoes that Bossman is growing will be hard to duplicate.
Those are matters pops grew last year with lots of TLC miracle Grow and plenty of water.
"BetterBoys" treefarmer

:saluting
Bossman

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:38 am

I've got a rabbit terrorizing mine right now.... 2 dachshunds, a trap, a 10 year old boy and a 22 haven't got him yet

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:23 pm

Bossman wrote:Those are matters pops grew last year with lots of TLC miracle Grow and plenty of water.[/color]
"BetterBoys" treefarmer :saluting
Did he use the Miracle Grow that you mix with the water to make it blue or some other kind? I ain't bashful about using it!

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:07 am

the ole mix with water stuff regular "Miracle Grow"
Bossman

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:16 pm

Bossman wrote:the ole mix with water stuff regular "Miracle Grow"
Thanks. I'll pick some up.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:18 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:I've got a rabbit terrorizing mine right now.... 2 dachshunds, a trap, a 10 year old boy and a 22 haven't got him yet
Dang wascally wabbits. :chain

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”