2014 Spring Garden

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

9dawgs

Re: 2014 Spring Garden

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:58 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Yeah they sell the liquid concentrate (mix with water)
Thanks, I'll be getting me some.

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:29 am

Spray down the plant and put DE powder all over it.
I like animals, they are tasty!

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:51 am

Picked me some Peppadews & Cherry Bombs this morning. I'm going to dry them in the oven and grind them for some pepper flakes. :rockon

My tomatoes on the other hand are looking pretty sorry. I'm thinking I'll pull them up and start some okra.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:06 am

Pulled my maters up last week. They were done. Only thing I have is a few pepper plants. ANd 2 rows of peas that a rogue deer wandered in the yard and ate down 2 nights ago. Finally put my rototiller in the shop last week. Pretty funny, as big as Tampa is trying to find someone to work on it. I drove to one place and called 3 more before I found a place that would take it. And they told me a 4-week minimum backlog
Guess I'm gonna do the same thing Jim and run me a row of okra and that'll be it till fall
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:57 am

We have been getting so much rain, I have just about given up. I tilled everything under last week except for a couple of pepper plants. I think I am going to let it rest until I put the fall garden in. All of the leaves I was using for mulch ended up creating a nice planting bed when I decide to start up again.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:54 am

Ya mine is pretty much done. All the rain destroy the corn, squash, and tomatoes. The onion, peppers, eggplant and okra seem ok. But the rest will get tilled in after the chickens have a couple more days going through it and eating whatever is left.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:55 am

I made a simple pickling solution yesterday and pickled me two jars of peppers. I put in 24 pepperdews, 1 jalapeno, and one cherry bomb into each jar. They'll last about a month in the fridge. Can't wait to try them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:35 am

Due to my knee surgery our garden has been quite limited this year. Actually this is the first time in 40 years that we haven't planted a real garden. No fresh peas, corn, squash but we did plant some peppers in some raised beds. The banana peppers got so big we've been able to stuff them like Bell peppers. The food plots are still not prepared but I did plant some pumpkins last Saturday, a little late but if they make and the frost holds off we'll have pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving.

I'm using a little folding kitchen stool to get on the tractor. I fold it up and hang it on the air breather stack. It sure ain't easy getting old.
Treefarmer

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:54 am

treefarmer wrote:Due to my knee surgery our garden has been quite limited this year. Actually this is the first time in 40 years that we haven't planted a real garden. No fresh peas, corn, squash but we did plant some peppers in some raised beds. The banana peppers got so big we've been able to stuff them like Bell peppers. The food plots are still not prepared but I did plant some pumpkins last Saturday, a little late but if they make and the frost holds off we'll have pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving.

I'm using a little folding kitchen stool to get on the tractor. I fold it up and hang it on the air breather stack. It sure ain't easy getting old.
Treefarmer
Sorry to hear about your bum knee brother. Hope it heals up real quick before hunting season starts. I'll be up your way in December for the opening of the muzzle loader/antlerless deer on the 6th. Heading to my buddy's farm. I didn't get a chance to last season so I'm looking forward to it.

Those peppers are looking good by the way. Ain't no shame in a small plot. I know it's not like having those fresh field peas & squash but I guess anything is better than nothing.

I hope you and your bride are having a wonderful Labor Day :gba

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:56 pm

Well my peppers are doing great still. In fact I'm having a bumper crop! I picked these and pickled them up this morning. I added a little more heat. I have a friend in Tarpon that grows Ghost Peppers and Trinidad Scorpion Peppers, that's basically what the pepper flakes are in the pot of brine there. The steam was burning my eyes and making me cough! Man these are going to be good. The last ones didn't last long. :chef

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:13 pm

I grew some Scorpion Peppers a few years back. They're no joke! My plant has died since then, but I really don't miss the punishment from eating them!

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:27 pm

Finally found some time to clean up half the garden...note to self never use hay to mulch a garden cause it will grow better were you dont want it than where you actually plant it trying to grow it.....any ways after mowing my "Hay Garden" and disc-ed and tilled it up really good and racked it and burned off all the hay that was left.

disc-ed and dead

Hopefully i can get the seeds and plants dont this week-weekend and find some time to sit in the stand.

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”