2014 Spring Garden

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

sam03
Ordeal

2014 Spring Garden

Post by sam03 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:02 am

The garden has been slow this year but its finally starting to grow in and produce. My neighbor was cleaning out part of their canal this weekend and offered me a bunch of duckweed so i mulched around the plants with it. It should add lots of fertilizer as it breaks down and help hold water. This is my third year planting onions and have yet to have one grow larger than ping pong ball....i just transplanted five that lived through the winter that i planted last spring and they are still tiny...Any advise would be much appreciated.

Green beans & Okra

Green Beans & Okra after i mulched them with the duckweed

Corn that will get weeded this week and will be planting another couple of rows to prolong the harvest.

Squash, Zucchini, Onions, Peppers and Cucumbers, Tomatoes

Wild flower mix to help with the bees doesn't look like much but they should start flowering soon.

I like animals, they are tasty!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: 2014 Spring Garden

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon May 12, 2014 3:03 pm

My tomatoes are loaded. My peppers finally set fruit and are loaded. My squash, once again, are growing and blooming but won't set fruit. Brussel sprouts from last fall are finally nearing ready. The rain bout destroyed everything else. Oh, and my potato plants are toppling over in foliage. Hope the amount of foliage is indicative of the amount of taters I will get. Lol
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue May 13, 2014 2:18 pm

Yeah my tomatoes are growing good too. Last count I have about 45 or so. One of my peppers are doing good but the other just in the last couple of days or so started to flower. Hopefully I'll get some from that one before too long.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Tue May 13, 2014 9:29 pm

Weeded and mulched the corn tonight. I'm Abt tired of weeding and it suppose to rain the next two days...fml

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu May 15, 2014 9:33 am

I'm proud that you boys are having a garden. Them 'maters, peppers, corn and squash look great!
It is still so wet here in the panhandle that a lot of land is just too wet to hold up a tractor. Part of out place was disked a month back and it has rained way too much to think about bottom plowing. Last night we got 2.4" on top of 1.4" on Mother's Day afternoon and don't forget the week before when there was 20" west of us, we didn't get but around 5" that round.
We'll get a break one day and be able to plant something, for now it looks like the raised beds will have to do.
Food plot is still under, crawfish towers showin' up in the road :eek .
Treefarmer

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sat May 17, 2014 7:36 am

Well I hope y'all get a little reprieve from the weather up that way Philip. We've had rain off and on but right now it's been nice and cool. It's about time for me to pick some tomatoes and peppers I think. Haven't had many bugs to speak of. I've only pulled off 3 worms and they didn't do any damage to the fruit.

Allen, you said I should pick them green. I have one tomato that's getting pretty big but hasn't started to turn yet. What size do I wait for them to get before I pick them?

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat May 17, 2014 7:47 am

I usually pick them right when they start to turn from green to red. They won't put on any more size to speak of. I just let them finish ripening on the kitchen window sill. It just seems like here at the house, any time they turn red, it attracts every bird from three counties and 2 time zones.
Plus having chickens and now turkeys, they see the red and make a Carl Lewis run across the yard to them
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sat May 17, 2014 10:38 am

I picked the first picking of datal peppers this morning. I only had about a quart bag to start off the season but it will increase as the season continues.

:saluting
Bossman

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu May 22, 2014 6:47 am

Has anyone ever had any saucer squash? A guy here at work brought me in 3 of these things yesterday. Never having ate them before I was kinda unsure of just how to fix them. I just added a few things that I liked and baked them up. First thing I cut them in half and cleaned out the seeds chopped up some onion and mixed up some garlic infused ricotta cheese added a little butter then draped a chicken breast over the top seasoned with a little zesty Italian. then finished off with a few slices of bacon. (Everything is better with Bacon) Will add the finished product later.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bossman

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu May 22, 2014 7:00 am

Someone Stole the bacon off the top.

Bossman

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu May 22, 2014 7:13 am

how was it?

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Thu May 22, 2014 10:28 am

Dang, that's looks pretty good. How'd it taste?

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu May 22, 2014 11:55 am

It turned out really good and I'll have it again

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Bossman

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu May 22, 2014 6:16 pm

Image I told ya I'd eat it agàin.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Bossman

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue May 27, 2014 3:55 pm

Well the hail we got yesterday afternoon wreaked havoc on my tomatoes and bananas. Last night they all looked like they had the measles or something from the hail pounding them. I went to take a peak this afternoon and the spots on the young tomatoes have now turned white and soft like a bruise. Hope they recover. I had to pinch a bunch of broken stems off and I'll be reseating my stakes tomorrow as they were just about pushed over by the winds.

On a good note though I got to taste the first ripe tomato on Sunday night and I must say it was pretty tasty :>)

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”