Anyone have experience with "whistler peas"?

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Anyone have experience with "whistler peas"?

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:23 pm

Typical of me to wait to the last minute to buy seed for this weekends planting. I called around and noone has iron clay peas or soybeans. The one feed store where I do most of my business has what he called "whistler peas". He said unlike IC peas, if they are nipped off in early stage of growth, they will continue to grow.
Upon reading on them, they look like they are a "winter pea" basically, and are also labeled as "semi leafless". Looking at the pics on the net, they look like they are mostly stems. Do the deer eat the stems on them as opposed to leaves. I have no experience with this brand of pea......
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

sam03
Ordeal

Re: Anyone have experience with "whistler peas"?

Post by sam03 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:39 pm

I would think they will eat those down to the ground as they do with all peas. Less leafy doesn't sounds to be as good because i would think that's less food. I would put up a good cage to see how they really grow for you and how they turn out.
I like animals, they are tasty!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Anyone have experience with "whistler peas"?

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:04 am

Went to the feed store today, and this is the pea he sold me. It's called a Secada pea, and is a forage pea, which can with withstand grazing . Not as cold hardy, which is fine as this is only a bow plots for this planting. Also has more foliage than the whistler pea.
http://www.oregroseeds.com/secada.html
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”