Last minute Panhandle food plot

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

sam03
Ordeal

Re: Last minute Panhandle food plot

Post by sam03 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:40 am

The rye looks good and so do those does. Sorry abt the boss's rules abt no does.
I like animals, they are tasty!

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:14 pm

Nice photos as always Treefarmer. Glad you're able to climb again :>)

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:28 pm

The Rye patch is doin' what it's supposed to do. Last Friday afternoon the does came to the feeder and the Rye and a 3 point came sneakin' in through the pines with love on his mind. He chased several and finally got in the Rye patch and when he stood still I took a crack at him. He's now restin' in the big ice chest. Hey, he's legal on this side of I-10. There is a broken spike that has been runnin' him self ragged the last few days, chasin them ol' gals all over the food plot and the planted pines.
Sure is great to be back in the woods without any hip pain!
A few pictures from the passed week.
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:56 pm

Hell ya meat in the freezer!

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Bossman » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:49 pm

Way to go farmer! glad to see that you was able to bag ya one...

:saluting
Bossman

renegade
scout

Post by renegade » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:32 pm

Good job!

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:59 pm

The season is about done for, a few more days of rifle then a week of M/L ending March 1st.

The last minute food plot was successful even though no big bucks were taken or for that matter, even seen. On opening day we killed a 4pt that was following a wad of does that came to the feeder and the Rye patch. Since then the patch has kept several bunches of does and yearlings in sight of the shooting house on most of my hunts, since Jan. 30, when I was able to get back in the woods. On most hunts there has been a spike or two, running does through the pines and the food plot since I killed the 3pt on Feb 6., it could just as easily have been an old big boy as those spikes.

In addition to the usual deer, I've had the pleasure of watching a hawk feeding on something in the Rye most every morning. He would sit in a sweet gum tree and drop down into the Rye , pick something up, swallow and fly back to his perch.

Several evenings I have seen a Red fox hunting the weeds on the edges of the Rye. You never know what you'll see from an elevated stand.
All in all, it's been a good season even if I did miss 6 weeks of it.
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:50 pm

Must have a pile of field mice in there..
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:26 am

Hey Treefarmer! Glad you had a good season. That 3pt. looks just fine! I've been so busy I haven't had time to hardly do anything but work on the house and work. Hope you and your bride are staying warm.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:37 pm

4 more days of M/L season then it's over :clap ! Even though I missed 6 weeks of the season, I'm glad to see it come to an end. I'll probably go a few more times with the smoke pole. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, need to go to the lease, haven't hunted it the 1st time this season.
Went to Atlanta area this passed weekend, got to see a little snow flurry, looks like they are tryin' to shut the place down this afternoon according to the Weather Channel, maybe 7 inches the next 18 hours. That'll teach them young'uns' to move off to the big city :rolleyes !
According to the game camera, the deer are now feeding before daylight and after dark and a big ol' coon shows up every night or two at 10 pm.
It's time to think about next season's food plots and our gardens. Hopefully, I'll be able to plant a garden this year. Need to have someone rebuild the master cylinder for the clutch on the Zetor tractor, leaks pretty bad.
Saw a different spike last week runnin' does and he showed up at the feeder camera. They still hit the feeder in little groups and one ol' gal just struck a pretty pose.
Treefarmer

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:48 pm

Sorry but for some reason the pictures for the above post will not load, message says Error, can't determine size. Been resizing using the Paint feature for a while, try to figure it out and add the pics later:dtect .
Treefarmer

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:04 am

For some unknown reason, was able to post the pictures this am.
Treefarmer

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:12 pm

This is the last post about the Last minute Panhandle food plot.
I've enjoyed reporting this on a weekly basis, even if this season was not the best I've experienced. Was blessed with 2 young bucks, which I am very thankful. It's tough to not have enough venison to get through the year since we really enjoy venison. Had a fair amount left over from last year because of my knee surgery in June. Some how it was a lot easier to have Miss Joy do the meals than for me to try to cook venison on a bum knee before and after the surgery.
Planted the Rye plot on short notice, got on the tractor with a little folding ladder, it was up and growing well on opening day, Thanksgiving afternoon killed a 4 pt. with my oldest grandson. Had my hip replaced on Dec. 15th and was given go ahead by the doc to hunt on Jan 30th. Took a week to kill another little buck, a 3 pt., still legal south of I-10. The plot was very productive as far as deer sightings, only failed to see deer 3 times(I think).
Going to be working up the grinding meat probably next week, 60/40 sausage, stuffed/smoked and fresh bulk, some summer sausage and grinding the real choice "scraps" for Miss Joy's chili and spaghetti sauce meat. Same time we'll show our new Pastor how the sausage business goes. He's new to deer huntin' and was blessed with a couple of nice bucks, I'm afraid he's got the fever, he and another church member are plannin' a turkey hunt for the pastor's young son. Good stuff!
Several pictures to close this down. Garden time is approachin' here in the Panhandle, weather is warming up, got the garden spots disked up. This morning it was 70 degrees at day break, 80 by noon and 55 by 1pm! A little front passed through with at 25 degree drop in less than an hour. It's in the low 40's now, so it may be better sausage weather than gardening for a week or so.
Treefarmer

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:23 am

Thank you again for taking the time to do this thread. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next installment!
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:36 am

Hell ya! Cant wait for next season!

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”